Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM

36 posts, read 82,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've already commented on this. The NO area in the exact center should be NO west of Dewey (one block east of Dodge), OK east of Dewey. Some of Evanston's most beautiful and historic streets are in this racially mixed and rapidly gentrifying area. A few blocks on the eastern edge of this area qualify as NICE.

The MEH area just south of that should be MEH west of Dewey and OK east of Dewey. This area includes the Greenleaf unofficial historic district.

The MEH area south of that, on the southern border with Chicago, should be OK. It's pretty nice, but not quite up to the standards of the NICE parts of Evanston.

The NO area in the southeast corner should start east of Ridge, not Asbury. Between Ridge and Asbury is OK.

The OK area east of Asbury between Oakton and Dempster should be NICE east of the tracks, OK west of them.

Evanston has continually improved over the years and the map as originally drawn reflects 1980s or maybe 1990s information.
Time for a new map project! Larry Siegel's line placement is dead on, at based on our recent explorations while house shopping...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
For crying out loud, this thing was poorly made in MS paint!!
They still put that software on computers?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM

18 posts, read 37,746 times
I live just west of St. Francis and I can tell you this area is not bad at all. That said, the police did issue an alert for robberies here a few days ago. Best bet is to consult the crime page on Evanston Patch- that will give you an idea for what sort of crime occurs in Evanston and where. But please don't worry and welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM

22 posts, read 34,139 times
You are fine. I have a friend who lives in that area and it is ok.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
today i got in the car and took a tour of Evanston. After hearing all your comments, I thought I would check it out. I went from memory so i even went over to the "bad" area near Golf Road. To tell you the truth, that area does not look unsafe.. i mean really, compared to chicago, that area seems nice. the way it sounded I thought it was going to look like Englewood or some ghetto.. not true, at least today. OK I'm not saying yeah its totally safe, im just saying how it looked. if that part of Evanston is considered the bad part, wow…. coz it looked pretty nice.

there are a couple of chicken places advertised on Yelp that is up in the northern part, I want to go try it out.. actually i think there is something for everyone in Evanston..

All I can say is WOW I just discovered this wonderful suburb.

Oh yeah I went down one street all the way to the lake. WOW!!! it reminds me of Michigan on the other side of the lake. so pretty. you cant park there but it was so pretty just looking at it. especially on this gray sky day, when i look across the lake, it looks awesome. i mean really awe inspiring.

Northwestern University campus/buildings are GORGEOUS and sprawling like a gothic scene in a movie.

I did not feel there were any stuck up attitudes, and too many Trixies and Chads. haha someone mentioned in City Data that the "north shore" was snooty.. i did not find any snootiness there.

I did go down Clark street and I passed by Juneway Terrace in Chicago, and I can agree with the person who said the cemetary puts a big buffer between the Juneway Jungle and Evanston and yes it does seem to start being nice to live beginning on South Blvd going north.

I forgot to tour the area of St Francis .. next time i will.

Actually I never went to visit Evanston, I had no idea it was so cute! I swear i felt like i was not in Chicago (and it borders chicago).. but i mean i felt like I was in Washington DC or something. not chicago. when it gets warm i'm going with my BFF and we're going to be like tourists.

I saw the historic area on the southern end, and i saw some very old mansions that looked like they were from 1870. it was so pretty.

I went down Chicago Ave near Dempster and thought even that was kinda pretty, it has a few stores and things. the Google Map showed that area kind of blighted, it looked like some run down auto parts shops or something like that but when i actually went in person, it was not like that at all.. i wonder if the Google Map was from a few years ago.. but it did not look like that. I was near Davis and Chicago by the Firehouse Grill.

the best part i liked was the downtown area and the area on Church street, had the cutest feel to it.

so thats my report from today's tour of Evanston.

Do you all have any suggestions for me to check out next time i go up there?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
ChicagoMeO, welcome to the area. Evanston is probably the nicest city of its size in the Midwest. Your tour hit all the high points, except the very cute shopping area on Central Street west of Green Bay Road at the northern end of the city.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 AM

Larry - thank you - i will go there next time along with the St Francis area I missed. I was right near there, when I was going north down (I think it was) Central, but didn't go that far.

I cannot believe that Evanston has been here all this time and I never knew it was so cool. This summer I'll be walking around.

I like how when I was driving down the streets with the older buildings, they even looked nice. This was in the alleged "bad" part but even those were nice.. No one was out much because it was too cold I guess. I didn't see graffiti or anything anywhere. Graffiti to me is a sign that an area is not as good.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM

What do you think about the apartments around Cenntral (1700 N Central) just east of Central and Green Bay.. there are a few pretty nice apartments there and looks like the view is great (pretty trees, etc)

Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
That is a beautiful area with many fine homes and fast access to NU, but the shopping district east of Central has been dead for years. There is a new building going up which may improve the area. Central west of Green Bay is the lively part.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Hi - Larry (and everyone i took another ride up there, I went to all the streets even the "NO" areas. I saw a few kinda not too nice looking buildings, only coz they were old, but i did not see graffiti or other things which to me make a neighborhood look not so nice, except one wall by 1717 Ridge (i think it was that address area) and this one frame house down (Golf?) road that was right like where Skokie ends and Evanston Begins which had a brighly colored mural and sort of artistic graffiti, that made me do a double take.. however, that appeared to be artwork, so ok.

I still cannot see anything that would remind me of like Englewood in Chicago or the west side of Chicago, over there in the "NO" part of Evanston,, maybe it was too cold out HAHA. I didn't see anyone hanging out or anything, nothing that made me think this is bad.

I want to know, what I am gathering from comments here is that its not too great living near the high school... nor in the triangle of Emerson, Green Bay going west several blocks, and near the Juneway Jungle in chicago, but really how far can you live close enough and not be too near those places where people on City Data forum say to not go.. like downtown Davis St and a few blocks west look like really nice (and often expensive) condos and apartments, that are not that expensive for Evanston, and seem nice, but they are pretty close to the "danger zone" (not my view but others here)...

I drove thru the "NO" areas and I am alive to report that they seem ok actually.

i went by Central and WOW they have some GORGEOUS (and tall) condos... very nice.. that area reminds me of the historic part of Oak Park. I think it would be probably excellent apartments but I would rather be closer to downtown. I found about 20 places that seem affordable and excellent!!!

I'm thinking of moving to Evanston some time. so im scouting things out.

And really why on that map are those parts called "NO".. is it that they are just not pretty houses, or is it the people who live there, or is it gang activity, or what? I know there were some shootings by the high school... but really how far away do you have to be from the school because there are some gorgeous buildings right near Ridge and also Asbury streets,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago