U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 7,800 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm going to be attending DePaul in the fall as a graduate student. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the city by June/July. We're wondering what neighborhoods would suit us...we've visited Chicago a number of times before and have really liked the Logan Square area, however I'd preferably like to be near the Red Line since I'd be going to school in Lincoln Park. Friends have suggested Lake View, Wrigleyville, Andersonville/Edgewater to us as newcomers. I found a place in Uptown, but friends have told me to steer clear of that area. We like going out to bars and such every once in a while but we're going to be a tight budget. My boyfriend would most likely be working in the Loop. We're both African American (he's 25, I'm 23) and would like a neighborhood that has a chill, laid back vibe. Apartment info : right now we're searching for one bedrooms for under $1000 a month. We don't mind being on the train for a little bit if we're getting a good deal.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,181,683 times
You are going to have to elaborate on "chill laid back vibe"...

Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM

...Meaning relatively low crime and quiet. Again, we liked where my friends stayed in Logan Square but I would like to be near the Red Line CTA.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,181,683 times
Hmm...

If I had to make a generalization I would suggest that the quieter / lower crime neighborhoods are accessible to DePaul via the Armitage Brown Line. While admittedly a little more walking than the Fullerton Red Line that is a trade off that may make sense if you truly prefer places that do not have the more "happening" nightspots...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_L...nsit_Authority)

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM

38,706 posts, read 96,220,019 times
chet, I can't figure out if you're trying to recommend the OP live near the Armitage Brown Line stop (some of the most expensive real estate in the city, so excellent suggestion for a grad school student on a budget), or live in some neghborhood along the Brown Line and then walk to class from the Armitage stop (why when the Brown Line stops at Fullerton just like the Red Line does?).

Logan Square is right next to Lincoln Park so it's fairly accessible to campus via the Fullerton bus. That bus can be slow-moving at times but it'll get you there with a minimum of hassle. Your BF could get downtown via the Blue Line.

Wrigleyville is definitely not a laid-back, chill neighborhood. It's a drink-and-barf party zone for popped-collared post-collegiate fratboys. Other parts of Lakeview are a little better (Wrigleyville is a subsection of Lakeview); for instance the areas near the Southport and Paulina Brown Line stops, aka the Southport Corridor and St. Ben's, respectively.

Uptown is definitely a bit problematic near the Lawrence and Wilson stops; it wouldn't be my first choice. Most of the rest of Uptown is fine.

Andersonville/Edgewater is a good suggestion for the type of vibe you're after, but the commute to downtown can get pretty lengthy. When I lived in Andersonville and worked downtown, my commute was about 40 minutes if everything worked out just right, usually closer to 45 to 50 minutes. Otherwise it could get up to an hour or more.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,638,796 times
I agree with the brown line advice..areas like ravenswood, lincoln square, north center. Not exactly like logan square, but a shade here and there. Very low crime rate in these areas and the commute to depaul (fullerton station near the main campus serves brown line too) is not long. Commute to the loop is around 30 or so minutes from these places and 5-10 to lakeview. I think you can find it in your budget there...not luxury but I would look.

Other areas...maybe a few areas in edgewater, but id say look at places like the above first. If you aren't opposed to a bus, you could live in logan square and use the blue line to get to the loop

Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 14,487,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohnson47 View Post
...Meaning relatively low crime and quiet. Again, we liked where my friends stayed in Logan Square but I would like to be near the Red Line CTA.
Honestly, if you really like Logan Sq, then try to find a place in Logan Sq. As Drover just mentioned, if you stick fairly close to Fullerton, it's just a single bus ride away from DePaul. Yes, the Fullerton bus is a longer trip than most locations of off the red line, but IMHO, it's a fair trade off if you really like the area and it fits your budget.

I think if you let go of your desire to stick to the red line, you'll find that you'll have more options that will simply require a quick train transfer downtown or a bus ride. I think neighborhoods like East Humboldt Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Sq, Albany Park, etc (the former two are closer to the blue line, the latter two off of the brown line).

Uptown isn't all bad and shouldn't be completely off of your list. It has its sketchy pockets for sure, but you may be able to find something suitable near the borders of Lakeview, Ravenswood, or Andersonville (e.g., off of Clark Ave or Ashland, further north towards Foster or south towards Irving Park).

Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far...it's really helping me out. I think you're all right about not sticking exclusively to the Red Line. I guess my immediate thought for that was because it's open 24 hours...but so is the Blue Line. Also, isn't the Brown Line open until around 2am most days?

Through searching through listings online, I found a place within my budget in Wrigleyville (right down the street from the Addison stop). In addition, there is a place on Dover Street in Uptown that's also within my price range...but again I wanted outside opinions on neighrborhoods.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 AM

38,706 posts, read 96,220,019 times
Dover should be far enough west that you're out of the "iffy" zone of Uptown. Which block on Dover? 4600? 4400?

If you want chill and laid-back, you don't want to live anywhere near the Addison Red Line stop. The immediate neighborhood gets veritably overrun with at least 35,000 Cubs fans 80 times a year, some of them quite rowdy after the game lets out. And when it lets out, they don't all go home either -- thousands will stay in the neighborhood for hours afterward and continue to eat/drink/party.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 AM

4543 North Dover. From Google Maps, it looks like it's about a 15 minute walk to the Montrose Brown Stop and a 9 minute walk to the Wilson Red. It's labeled as Sheridan Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago