Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

I'm researching Chicago's luxury malls, trying to identify trends in the luxury shopping market. The 3 malls I'm focusing on are Water Tower, 900 N. Michigan, and North Bridge.

If anyone shops at one or more of these malls, and wants to help out, it would be super helpful. Here are the questions.

1. How often do you go to this mall?
2. What brings you there?
3. Are there any other Chicago malls similar to this one?
4. What do you like about shopping here? Dislike?
5. What makes this mall unique?
6. What are your favorite luxury brands? Favorite luxury brands offered in this mall?
7. Why do you buy from this brand? Does the brand do anything to build a relationship with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Water tower is like 7 stories tall. That's unique.
No there aren't similar malls in terms of setting.
Uniqueness brings me here, nothing you can't find at other malls.
Popcorn.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,602 times
I tend to shop at all 3 from time to time as there are so many places in all of them to check out.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
1. How often do you go to this mall? Hmm, probably once every three weeks.
2. What brings you there? Looking to kill time, get some coffee, food court, window shop.
3. Are there any other Chicago malls similar to this one? Within city limits, nope though the Saks and Macy's/Marshall's standalone stores have a similar mall feel. Block 37 and Landmark (Lakeview) are also physical malls but without a much needed major department store and many tenants.
4. What do you like about shopping here? Dislike? It's nice to see people socializing, spending money, supporting local economies, enjoying each other's company. Plus malls are having such a rough time lately that you appreciate three malls within half a mile surviving if not thriving. What do I dislike? A lack of electronic, book and record stores, but you can't blame the mall manager for that.
5. What makes this mall unique? All three have remarkably few vacancies considering the economy and ridiculous downtown rents.
6. What are your favorite luxury brands? Favorite luxury brands offered in this mall? I don't have an opinion either way and don't spend money on luxury items.
7. Why do you buy from this brand? Does the brand do anything to build a relationship with you? See previous answer. Brand is irrelevant to me though I suppose like my Michael Kohrs belt more so than my other ****ty one from Sears

Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these! It's a huge help. These are pretty great places to just hang out in without always shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
1. How often do you go to this mall? Hmm, probably once every three weeks.
2. What brings you there? Looking to kill time, get some coffee, food court, window shop.
3. Are there any other Chicago malls similar to this one? Within city limits, nope though the Saks and Macy's/Marshall's standalone stores have a similar mall feel. Block 37 and Landmark (Lakeview) are also physical malls but without a much needed major department store and many tenants.
4. What do you like about shopping here? Dislike? It's nice to see people socializing, spending money, supporting local economies, enjoying each other's company. Plus malls are having such a rough time lately that you appreciate three malls within half a mile surviving if not thriving. What do I dislike? A lack of electronic, book and record stores, but you can't blame the mall manager for that.
5. What makes this mall unique? All three have remarkably few vacancies considering the economy and ridiculous downtown rents.
6. What are your favorite luxury brands? Favorite luxury brands offered in this mall? I don't have an opinion either way and don't spend money on luxury items.
7. Why do you buy from this brand? Does the brand do anything to build a relationship with you? See previous answer. Brand is irrelevant to me though I suppose like my Michael Kohrs belt more so than my other ****ty one from Sears

Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Good point about 7 stories, didn't think of that but it's massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Water tower is like 7 stories tall. That's unique.
No there aren't similar malls in terms of setting.
Uniqueness brings me here, nothing you can't find at other malls.
Popcorn.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:19 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
This really isn't an answer to your question and may very well not be relevant, but I'll share what I think is an interesting observation: North Bridge may well have an advantage over its competitors, WTP and 900N, becuse the retail center on the Mag Mile has moved southward, toward the river.

Indeed it was WTP that had made the north end of the avenue its focal point and it was WTP, more than anything else, that propelled the mag mile to surpass State Street as DT Chicago's prime shopping district. WTP transformed N. Michigan

Things are different today. The southern portion of the mag mile is hot. NB itself is considering expansion across from its Nordstrom anchor. Apple's spectacular riverfront store also enhances the area. In fact, being close to the river has location, location, location written all over it (gee, and I remember when the lakefront was our prime waterfront)

Further the changes happening now and those planned to come promise to transform the weakest link in DT's Michigan Avenue, that stretch I would call Mid Michigan, from Randolph to thr river. This could put the south end of the Mag Mile, NB being its largest component, at the center of a Michigan Avenue shopping strip running from Randolph to Oak.

Last edited by edsg25; 12-29-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyourtoast View Post
Good point about 7 stories, didn't think of that but it's massive.
Technically 9 levels if you include the mezzanine and the entire eigth floor that is part of The-Store-That-Still-Should-Be-Marshall-Field's

Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Would it be appropriate for me to request we bow our heads and observe a minute of silence for Chicago Place?????

Old 12-30-2017, 09:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Would it be appropriate for me to request we bow our heads and observe a minute of silence for Chicago Place?????
I know I miss that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: