Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

North Star,
You didn't respond to my question regarding traffic flow. I'm assuming I-75, I-85 and I-20 through Atlanta are jammed during rush hour. But isn't I-285 also pretty jammed? If there were tolls, maybe the 2nd perimeter would be under construction. Or instead of siphoning money towards road building MARTA would have needed expansions. Or maybe y'all would have a commuter rail system similar to our METRA.

I'm not disagreeing that, perhaps, your politicians don't take as much "commission" as ours do, but that your view on this is maybe a bit narrow.

By the way, where in the UP are you going? Beautiful part of the country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
North Star,
You didn't respond to my question regarding traffic flow. I'm assuming I-75, I-85 and I-20 through Atlanta are jammed during rush hour. But isn't I-285 also pretty jammed? If there were tolls, maybe the 2nd perimeter would be under construction. Or instead of siphoning money towards road building MARTA would have needed expansions. Or maybe y'all would have a commuter rail system similar to our METRA.

I'm not disagreeing that, perhaps, your politicians don't take as much "commission" as ours do, but that your view on this is maybe a bit narrow.

By the way, where in the UP are you going? Beautiful part of the country!
Well, it depends on what part of 285 you travel on. The whole south end is free-flowing pretty much all the time - I've come back from the airport (SW side of the city) to my house (NE side of the city) at 5 pm on a weekday, and I was flying at 70-75 pretty much the whole way. Atlanta traffic isn't a problem if you keep out of peak hours, and I generally don't have a problem with it - even going though downtown adds about 10 min to the trip if it's being sluggish, less if you're able to use the HOV lanes.

As for the "Outer" perimeter, that keeps getting shot down, toll or no toll, due to the excessive sprawl that this road would bring, although they are putting in a small section of it anyways, as the budget allows. Oh, they are making plans to extend Marta further north, although it's expected to take 10-15 years. In short, the mantra around here is "make do with what you've got", as hardly anyone will support any kind of tax increase in today's tight economy, and like I said before, I ain't complainin'.

As for the UP trip, I'll be visiting the Keweenaw, got a cottage for a great price a week up there - can't wait to experience the cool air off Lake Superior for sure!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Who's paying that much to get to work and back? I mean if you're going on I-355, I-88 or I-90 each day you're not paying much more than $1.50 to $3.00 even if you end up having to travel through large portions of it. The most expensive is going the entire length of the Tri-State through the metro and that's over $9.00, but who does that every day?

Most people I know pay about $3.00 to $4.00 per day. It's not like everyone is driving 100 miles around the tollway.

Of course you can always just take I-94, I-290 and I-90 through the city since all the city expressways and I-55 and I-57, most of I-80 are all free. If you want to avoid the tolls there are plent of opportunities.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, it depends on what part of 285 you travel on. The whole south end is free-flowing pretty much all the time - I've come back from the airport (SW side of the city) to my house (NE side of the city) at 5 pm on a weekday, and I was flying at 70-75 pretty much the whole way. Atlanta traffic isn't a problem if you keep out of peak hours, and I generally don't have a problem with it - even going though downtown adds about 10 min to the trip if it's being sluggish, less if you're able to use the HOV lanes.

As for the "Outer" perimeter, that keeps getting shot down, toll or no toll, due to the excessive sprawl that this road would bring, although they are putting in a small section of it anyways, as the budget allows. Oh, they are making plans to extend Marta further north, although it's expected to take 10-15 years. In short, the mantra around here is "make do with what you've got", as hardly anyone will support any kind of tax increase in today's tight economy, and like I said before, I ain't complainin'.

As for the UP trip, I'll be visiting the Keweenaw, got a cottage for a great price a week up there - can't wait to experience the cool air off Lake Superior for sure!
Sounds like it was 25 years ago; the west bypass is sluggish between 1-20 and 1-75. The northern loop is bad during rush hour between i-75 and i-85 and the eastern bypass and southern leg of the bypass are not bad. My buddy was complaining about getting around Atlanta coming back from spring break trip.
Enjoy the UP, we are looking at a cottage next to Sleeping Bear National Seashore. The UP was very intriguing as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM

100 posts, read 123,952 times
Quote:

Listen Northstar, I am a staunch conservative and Toll roads are much better than "free" roads. The toll roads here are rarely jammed and are always under construction as they are flush with money. Lets say you commute on them everyday. You are talking at most a few dollars a day to have free flowing traffic and a better life. Think of how much you pay in taxes everyday, seriously. It is far more than that. Gas taxes do not even come close to the cost of building and maintaining our highways. As much as I know Illinois politics stink and I get where you are coming from, you are just plain wrong on this one. The only thing your "free" road idea solves is something apparently psychological for you. There is just no such thing. Ever. Your argument makes as much sense as saying "I support free healthcare across America."

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
Default chicago toll roads

I dont' think I-90-94 is a toll road through downtown Chicago. Take it straight through to Wisconsin and Milwaukee. All toll free. Takes less time than the toll bypass anyway even if you have stop and go traffic near the loop. And enjoy those Yoopers and the year-round chill they live in.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh11 View Post
I dont' think I-90-94 is a toll road through downtown Chicago. Take it straight through to Wisconsin and Milwaukee. All toll free. Takes less time than the toll bypass anyway even if you have stop and go traffic near the loop. And enjoy those Yoopers and the year-round chill they live in.
90 is a toll when you enter Illinois from Indiana on the Skyway (90 is a toll road through Indiana as well) and 94 is free. After both split and leave the city on the north side they become toll roads and you will pay multiple tolls before hitting Wisconsin.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh11 View Post
Really?! If you go south in the AM and north in the PM between NW Indiana and NW suburbs, the time spent sitting in rush hour traffic compared with free-flowing highway speed traffic on 294 makes your statement absolutely false IMO.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Toll roads CAN be defeated, if enough people pressure their representatives enough - I can only hope the good folks in Chicago will do the same soon, so I don't have to pay big bucks passing through just to get to where I'm going.
So you want people here to fight for your ability to ride through and use our roads for free? Go to hell.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I just came back from a road trip and I was pissed off, because I rode freely through the states I visited. Can't remember the location of this particular booth, but I could've sworn it wasn't there before! The tolls are ridiculous here (for the midwest anyway). Illinois is nickle and diming people any way it can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago