Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to the UP of Michigan this summer, and lay over in Chicago a night on the way up from Atlanta. I've noticed that all the major Interstates are tolled in the entire Chicago area, and they're not cheap. Half off if you have an "I-pass", but that's reserved for the locals, I presume. Even with the "I-pass", it's gotta be expensive to commute 20-30 miles each way everyday on these costly roads, so why aren't the locals putting pressure on the government to eliminate these henious tolls?

Here in Atlanta, the only tolled road is about to lose its single toll plaza come November, and that just leaves the "HOT" lanes, which are an *optional* toll for those who wish to bypass heavier traffic. Aside from that, all our expressways are FREE, which is how it should be - makes me glad I live here rather than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I think all interstates should be tolled.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think all interstates should be tolled.

Good gosh, why in the heck do you think that?? I think all Interstates should be F-R-E-E - and I will fight hard against anyone who thinks otherwise. You'll not be getting any rep points from me, that's for sure.

Who here stands with me in the pursuit of open, free highways?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Tolls are a way to raise money for something without having to tax everyone, especially the people who don't even drive (i.e. me and thousands of others in the city). Really though it's not terrible..could be worse. There are ways to get around it though. Last few times I rented a car and drove out of state, I was able to avoid them through a GPS setting ("Avoid Tolls"). You have to be careful though because sometimes the cost of avoiding them isn't much different from just paying the toll, and avoiding them will cost you more time usually.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Who here stands with me in the pursuit of open, free highways?
In a perfect world, this would be nice, but freeways and roads cost an assload of money to build and maintain over a long period of time. Far more than people think. Millions upon millions of dollars for just a few miles of complex interstate. Billions for the entire US' system.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Expressways aren't free to build or maintain, why shouldn't users pay a higher portion of those costs?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Another point I'd like to make, in North Carolina and Virginia, there was a proposal to implement tolls on I-95 to pay for so-called "improvements", which would have amounted to $20 each way through the state of North Carolina. Needless to say, a huge grassroots movement sprung up to protest this hideous proposal, and it was soundly defeated in the new transportation budget - and in Virginia too.

Toll roads CAN be defeated, if enough people pressure their representatives enough - I can only hope the good folks in Chicago will do the same soon, so I don't have to pay big bucks passing through just to get to where I'm going.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Expressways aren't free to build or maintain, why shouldn't users pay a higher portion of those costs?
Good gosh, what is it with you people?? These roads are bought and paid for through the use of the gasoline tax, so what you're saying, you relish the idea of double-taxation.

Reading comments like this is making me real glad that I live in the South (as much I hate our summers) - at least we have our prorities straight down here.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Roads cost money, and lots of states have toll roads. Virtually anybody that wants to can get an I-pass--it's not just for the locals.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM

LOL I love people who think roads don't cost much to maintain. People would **** their pants if they realized how much expressways, especially in large metro areas, cost to maintain every year.

Oh by the way, tolls are more right leaning, not left leaning. Just for the record. Funding comes from a few places usually. Sometimes it's taxation, sometimes it's tolls, and sometimes it's government assistance. Some roads are in worse shape than others and take more to maintain than others. An interstate in Boise needs less funding because it's traveled on less by both commuters and the shipping industry than say somewhere in Los Angeles, Chicago, or the Bay Area and therefore people don't feel it as much in their daily lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago