Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM

830 posts, read 1,715,960 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston now, I think the big difference is that some minorities in Houston tend to live in the city as opposed to the suburbs (there are some suburbs that are an exception obviously). In Chicago, Asians are spread all over. As an Asian, I think I would have felt comfortable living in a majority of the Chicago area. In Houston, I prefer to stay in the city and a few suburbs (Sugar Land, Katy, Clear Lake, Pearland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM

9 posts, read 70,965 times
The largest asian population consists of Indians. Chicago has one of the largest indian populations in the USA (bigger than LA area). Most indians tend to live in a stretch of suburbs along I-90 past ORD, and along I-355 down to Naperville. Indians tend NOT to live around Devon Avenue...it just happens to be where a lot of South Asian stores and restaurants congregated due to low rents

Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,111,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_80 View Post
The largest asian population consists of Indians. Chicago has one of the largest indian populations in the USA (bigger than LA area). Most indians tend to live in a stretch of suburbs along I-90 past ORD, and along I-355 down to Naperville. Indians tend NOT to live around Devon Avenue...it just happens to be where a lot of South Asian stores and restaurants congregated due to low rents
There are still a lot of South Asians in the suburbs north of there. Not necessarily Indian, but then again Indians aren't the entirety of South Asians. This is especially true of South Asians who immigrated to the U.S. 20+ years ago and then migrated to the suburbs after landing in the city. Many of the Asians in the western suburbs just moved directly there, or maybe lived downtown before moving to the suburbs. This is especially true of the professional classes that have immigrated since 2000.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,181,167 times
You'll fine Asians all along the red line.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,111,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You'll fine Asians all along the red line.
All along the Red? Like even 47th to 95th?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM

541 posts, read 907,571 times
Hows the Viet in Chicago?

Good?

Chicago has better Mexican than NY does, but not sure about Asian food in general. I know the Indian is superior, but not the Viet or Chinese.

Met a girl (Viet) at LAX on a layover (I was going back to NY from SF, she was going to Houston) who said Houston was very Vietnamese. I wasnt surprised. One of my best friends is Viet and told me that not long before.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,107,511 times
Only marginally relevant but: Chicago does have a fantastic Mitsuwa, which is one of only two outside of the West Coast. Its bakery is phenomenal.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Hows the Viet in Chicago?

Good?
Yeah, it's pretty good. Argyle and Broadway area...Argyle stop on the Red Line is Little Saigon basically. There's a handful of Buddhist temples in the broader area around there and a lot of shops/food for Vietnamese around. The food is good (mmm Vietnamese), although my favorite Pho in town is actually at Le Colonial in Gold Coast. Everyone goes to Tank Noodle on the corner of Broadway and Argyle but I like Nha Hang Viet Nam more. A handful of Asian markets up there too.

The Asian food in Chicago...it's definitely better than most cities, buuuuut it's not as good as say NYC, LA, or SF in general (and maybe Seattle for Japanese?) My girlfriend is Chinese descent and agrees with this. She said there is good Chinese here, but not many amazing ones. Not bad on average though and some definite highlights. Actually, some of the best chinese I've had here was from Korean owned Chinese places.

I'd say the Korean food in the area is pretty good. My friend is originally from South Korea here and shows me a lot of the stuff. There's some good late night Korean BBQ in the city and even more in the near-ish north suburbs. There are also some big Korean markets like H-Mart and Assi in the suburbs, Joong Boo in the city, etc. There is also a King Spa in the suburbs (Korean Bath house).

Sushi again is behind NYC, LA, and San Fran, possibly Seattle, but better than most. I actually have had better luck with sushi in Chicago than Honolulu somehow too.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,163 times
The thing about Houston & other sunbelt cities is that neighborhoods & homes within the city limits (with a Houston address for example) can look like something straight out of a Chicago suburb complete with a large lawn, McMansion, etc. Within Chicago's city limits it is tough to find a suburban looking home or neighborhood. Chicago is a far more urban city in this respect than Houston. Today's immigrants prefer to skip past the urban stage and go straight for a suburban lifestyle with all its creature comforts. In Houston, sometimes this can actually be found within the city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I live in Houston now, I think the big difference is that some minorities in Houston tend to live in the city as opposed to the suburbs (there are some suburbs that are an exception obviously). In Chicago, Asians are spread all over. As an Asian, I think I would have felt comfortable living in a majority of the Chicago area. In Houston, I prefer to stay in the city and a few suburbs (Sugar Land, Katy, Clear Lake, Pearland).

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM

367 posts, read 668,211 times
Wilson -> Bryn Mawr red line stops all have a good density of asian restaurants & businesses. It's also one of the densest neighborhoods in the city, so rents are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago