Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
Yes, they sometimes do. I have yet to see anything that has originated in Chicago that can compare to Dance Theater Harlem.
We have the Hubbard Street Dance Theater and River North Dance Company.
River North has had some wonderfully innovative dance pieces.

We have a variety of other kinds of dance companies as well.

Alvin Ailey and Dance Theater Harlem are great, but Chicago has its own style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM

211 posts, read 394,813 times
The State of Illinois, Cook County, and the City of Chicago are literally raping residents with outrageously jacked up prices for municipal services (water, license plates, city stickers etc). So, I assume someone knows things I don't know. Like, Chicago may already be financially insolvent....FLAT BROKE.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
The State of Illinois, Cook County, and the City of Chicago are literally raping residents with outrageously jacked up prices for municipal services (water, license plates, city stickers etc). So, I assume someone knows things I don't know. Like, Chicago may already be financially insolvent....FLAT BROKE.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM

102 posts, read 197,030 times
Thank you Drover.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I can understand him liking NYC better than Chicago, but I don't understand his reasoning for ****ting on Chicago for something that not only could happen anywhere, but something that happened to him and only him. If the roles were reversed and it happened to him in another city and he moved to Chicago for new opportunities, I'm sure he would be saying the same thing for that other city.
I dunno... Right or wrong, a person's impressions of a city are always colored by their personal experiences there. I have to admit that mine are, too. I don't really see any way around that.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
According to "Escaped Chicagoan":

To live in Manhattan you have to be very good at something.

This does not accord with my experience of many Manhattan residents.
It depends on how you define "something". It could mean one is very good at finding a "sugar daddy", or very good at being a trust fund kid.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Yet somehow the Art Institute, Chicago Symphony, Lyric Opera, Field Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, etc. etc. manage to survive and even thrive in this "sports town." Must be the out-of-town tourists.
Or people from the suburbs.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
I hope you would not be that naive to compare Chicago's museums to New York's. I hope you would not compare Chicago's art scene to Broadway.
Actually, a great many of the plays you see on Broadway in NYC got their start in Chicago.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I dunno... Right or wrong, a person's impressions of a city are always colored by their personal experiences there. I have to admit that mine are, too. I don't really see any way around that.
They are, but I think with that post what I was trying to say was this could've happened to him anywhere.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

39 posts, read 57,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
How have you not been banned from trolling this board? I undestand that Chicago has a lot of problems that some people here like to pretend don't exist but you're a straight up troll.
Consider this poster's location -- lot of hate and envy for one of America's premier cities from the wannabe down the pike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago