Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVtoATL View Post
Ya know what? I can respect that. Especially since I was having this same conversation recently about my city, the city that I love, New Orleans. That same dichotomy exists here, yet(because the media loves indulging the unsavory) some people think its a war-zone. Its not. So I get your point...
Yep, it's no different than that. The media loves to sell **** that brings fear. There's 2.7 million people living in Chicago, and chances are that only an extremely small fraction of those people have ever been in harms way i.e. real violent crime. Same as in any other sizable city in the US and world with a crime problem.

Glad you know where we're coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVtoATL View Post
Ya know what? I can respect that. Especially since I was having this same conversation recently about my city, the city that I love, New Orleans. That same dichotomy exists here, yet(because the media loves indulging the unsavory) some people think its a war-zone. Its not. So I get your point...
For a sense of perspective, consider that the murder rate in New Orleans is nearly four times as high as Chicago's. If New Orleans isn't a war zone, Chicago certainly isn't.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM

500 AT&T corporate jobs moving from the burbs to downtown

Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center

Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
500 AT&T corporate jobs moving from the burbs to downtown

Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center
Interesting. I just saw this....

Chicago startups tight real estate - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Very interesting and makes sense. I think with Google moving into the West Loop in a few years and the area going through some commercial/residential growth, it will become even more attractive to startups to get space there (plus it's probably cheaper now).

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,502,881 times
The new Nexus phone from Google will be made by Motorola. Anything else left to criticize now Chet? Motorola is not only going to succeed with the Moto X, but you can believe that the new Nexus phone will be popular also.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
The Crains article about the 500 jobs MOVING from "other offices in the region" is clearly NOT good news and anyone with any familiarity with AT&T, real estate or technology in the region ought to understand some pretty important things -- once upon a time AT&T had a HUGE investment in this area. The REMNANTS of what was a MASSIVE part of the AT&T assets can still be seen -- across Canal St the vast switch house is the obvious sign of what was once a centerpiece of AT&T's commimittment to the downtown Chicago. Their sad shabby office building on Randolph at Franklin is another. The fact that so many other sites (notably Hoffman Estates and Lisle) have systematically been de-populated to the point where there are only 500 souls left to cram into the poshier Franklin & Madison building is beyond sad -- the massive workforce that once necessitated the huge campuses in the region is but a memory. The high salaries and tax revenues replaced with schools for diesel truck mechanics and massive tax incentives...

BTW The words of Moto's top engineer clearly state there is a very bright line that separates google from the company: Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A) | Mobile - CNET News , pretty defensive and hardly a sign of any special confidence on the part of Schmidt/Page/Brin...

Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Anything else left to criticize now Chet?
Asking Chet if he has anything left to criticize is like asking Chris Christie if he has anything left to eat or Keith Richards if he has anything left to smoke. He'll find something.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Crains article about the 500 jobs MOVING from "other offices in the region" is clearly NOT good news and anyone with any familiarity with AT&T, real estate or technology in the region ought to understand some pretty important things -- once upon a time AT&T had a HUGE investment in this area. The REMNANTS of what was a MASSIVE part of the AT&T assets can still be seen -- across Canal St the vast switch house is the obvious sign of what was once a centerpiece of AT&T's commimittment to the downtown Chicago. Their sad shabby office building on Randolph at Franklin is another. The fact that so many other sites (notably Hoffman Estates and Lisle) have systematically been de-populated to the point where there are only 500 souls left to cram into the poshier Franklin & Madison building is beyond sad -- the massive workforce that once necessitated the huge campuses in the region is but a memory. The high salaries and tax revenues replaced with schools for diesel truck mechanics and massive tax incentives...
A lot of those jobs were lost due to mergers. Yours Truly worked at both the Hoffman Estates "campus" and the 225 W. Randolph building back in the years 1995 to 2000 when it was still Ameritech, and later SBC. I left the company near the end of 2000, about a year after the SBC merger, after they consolidated my department relocating quite a few of the jobs to Texas. I could've relocated to Texas, but didn't want to go, so I took a massive buyout offer instead.

Back in the late 1990s, the Hoffman Estates campus was so crowded that they built an additional six-story building next door to it to accommodate all the employees. By the early 2000s, however, a former coworker (who had remained a good friend) told me the suburban campus was already emptying out.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,502,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

BTW The words of Moto's top engineer clearly state there is a very bright line that separates google from the company: Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A) | Mobile - CNET News , pretty defensive and hardly a sign of any special confidence on the part of Schmidt/Page/Brin...
Of course they're a separate division from Google, they don't even work that closely with Google (or at least they didn't regarding the Moto X). The Moto X is a fine phone, you have to understand what the phone is about and who it's tailored for. There is now a rumor that the new Nexus phone will be made my Motorola (Google) which is Google's phone. So they will be working closely with Google for the upcoming Nexus device. Motorola is only going to get better from here on out -- Google buying Motorola is the best thing that could've happen to Motorola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Asking Chet if he has anything left to criticize is like asking Chris Christie if he has anything left to eat or Keith Richards if he has anything left to smoke. He'll find something.
Haha, true that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago