Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,885 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site. And so far I think it's great.

I currently live in Irving Park with my boyfriend but am looking to find a new place as of July 1. Im hearing good stuff about Logan Square but I think I heard that there are certain spots that are safer and better than others. Since I will be living alone and Im young, Im looking for a cute neighborhood with shops that is still safe and affordable. I also want to be close to trains.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other places/neighborhoods in Chicago that I can look? I have to live in the city because Im a CPS teacher. Otherwise I would love to live in Oak Park.

So what are your suggestions or experiences with Logan Square?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
I have friends in Logan Square, who basically bought because it was cheap, and it can be kinda sketchy. Look in west lakeview (more ashland/belmont area). What is affordable to you?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild2104 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site. And so far I think it's great.

I currently live in Irving Park with my boyfriend but am looking to find a new place as of July 1. Im hearing good stuff about Logan Square but I think I heard that there are certain spots that are safer and better than others. Since I will be living alone and Im young, Im looking for a cute neighborhood with shops that is still safe and affordable. I also want to be close to trains.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other places/neighborhoods in Chicago that I can look? I have to live in the city because Im a CPS teacher. Otherwise I would love to live in Oak Park.

So what are your suggestions or experiences with Logan Square?

Thanks in advance!!!
I lived there for a year. Logan Square is quite "edgy" compared to Lakeview or Lincoln Park -- perhaps bordering on "unsafe" depending on what block you happen to be walking through on your way to the video store. And, quite frankly, I don't know if there's much of a rent advantage anymore because it has become quite pricey as of late. I liked it because it gave me a chance to see a different side of the City but from what you're saying, you'll probably be much better off in Lakeview or Lincoln Park.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Anything wrong with staying in Irving Park? It's a decent enough area.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM

60 posts, read 347,902 times
Thumbs up You like Oak Park, read this...

If you like Oak Park, then why not move to an area like Oak Park. Check out what I wrote in another thread...

Try looking around the Garfield Ridge neighborhood of Chicago. This area is prodominantley Americanized Polish and Lithuanian, and to be honest, they keep their properties IMMACULATE! There are plenty of parks to walk a dog, the sidewalks are clean, houses are in good shape, and the people are friendly where they all look out for eachother.

In this neighborhood you will have to more than anything worry about who's lawn is greener and shorter, who you will meet at your street's next block party or bump into at the local Blockbuster Video. Everyone seems to know eachother here, and as for affordability, this neighborhood will get you the most bang for your buck without having to sacrafice things like your own personal safety.

Garfield Ridge is located around Midway airport directly to the west about a half mile. Take Harlem Avenue to Archer or 55th Street and turn onto Archer or 55th headed east. This will take you smack dab into the middle of this neighborhood with a lot of old Poland country charm.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM

96 posts, read 647,204 times
I would stay away from Logan Square, I live in Bucktown and I pass thru there lots of times. Not always fun. Look into Wicker Park or like the others said, Lakeview or LP

Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 14,885 times
Default Thanks everybody!!!

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

I really appreciate it. I think I just may stay in the Old Irving area. Not so sure I can afford Lincoln Park or Lakeview and I would have to compromise the large amount of living space that I would prefer. I also have a car and parking in Lincoln Park is like pulling teeth.

Again, thanks for all your help. I will steer clear of Logan Square. I guess I let the Boulevard and all the nice houses fool me!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 21,011 times
Don't be too quick to write off logan square. There are blocks I wouldn't want to walk down, but for the most part it a great neighborhood. I've lived here for 3 years and I love it. Its much more diverse and progressive than most Chicago neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
When people say "Logan Square" what they usually mean is "the safe part of Logan Square crowded around Logan Boulevard." A newcomer to Chicago may not know that most of what constitutes the official neighborhood of Logan Square is a pretty nasty place. Logan Square should be approached with caution, and newcomers who are not familiar with the city deserve some clarity with regard to Logan Square; namely, that what urban sophisticates call "Logan Square" and what constitutes the official "Logan Square" boundaries are quite different.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM

131 posts, read 659,470 times
I agree. Logan Boulevard is beautiful and for the most part, safe. Except for the murder in my friends building last summer. But, I believe that to have been one of those happenings that don't occur all that often.

Single, young female... I would suggest another part of town. I think you could get by in Logan Square but I think if you went home late at night you wouldn't feel very comfortable walking to your apartment. And really, even if nothing happens, not feeling comfortable is a real good way to make you lose that home feeling. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago