Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
I was reading that you could get a CTA pass cheap. Is the CTA the EL? IF so will that get us all over easily? Not sure how hard it is to figure the EL out .
The CTA encompasses both the El and the bus system. If you're going into Union Station and plan to stay in the Loop (either around Union Station, nearer to the lake, or even Magnificent Mile), either the bus would make sense or even catching a cab there. Honestly for three or four people, a cab from even Union Station to a hotel in the middle of the Magnificent Mile would be only a few bucks per person (maybe $12 total after that?). The difference for that and a bus wouldn't be that much if you split it all evenly. My advice is to give the cab driver the name of the intersection (i.e. Michigan and Ontario) if you can, but also remember the exact address. In the city, having the name of the intersection or nearest big intersection is sometimes more useful to people than just giving them the actual address.

Which brings me to my next point...

Chicago is a very, very walkable in this area. I live not that far from the Magnificent Mile and don't even own a car. Don't need one. I walk, take the train, etc everywhere. So that's kind of what I was getting at by getting a hotel nearer to the lake. Things like the Art Institute, Millennium Park (the place with the giant bean), Magnificent Mile, etc are all closer to the lake. So if you have a hotel down there, it's basically going outside and just walking around...very simple if you can walk.

If you want to see a great view and enjoy some drinks at the same time, my advice is to skip the Sears (willis) Tower and go to the 96th floor lounge at the John Hancock Tower (Signature Lounge). They have non alcoholic drinks there too. My advice is to try and get a Southern view. When you get off the elevators, even if someone is telling you to go left, just go right. Then you would be facing south. If you take another right down the hallway, there's more seating there and then ask the host to seat you on the southern view (which would be to the left).

About the El...it's not too bad to navigate but it takes a little know how for a few things. The trains have a heading. For example...the Red Line train has either a heading of "95th" or "Howard"...95th goes south and is the last stop south while Howard goes north and is the last stop north. If you want to go to Wrigley Field for example and you are at the Grand station (River North) stop, you get on the Howard direction train (north), and then the stop is called Addison. If you go and then you want to go back to where you came from, then you'd hop on the train in the direction of 95th (south) and get off at Grand. Hope that makes sense..

Quote:
One more question, I keep reading about all the shopping on Magnificent mile (I think thats the place) is that just shops you would fine anywhere in any cities or are they totally unique type of shops? Like I said we are in are 50's but of course think of ourselves as the new forties and open to any kind of fun and entertainment. Thanks again for your tips and help.
Magnificent Mile is a mixture of both up to very, very upscale. It pretty much starts in the middle at a place like Macy's (which is a rather big one) and it works its way up. You will find stuff like Tiffany & Co, Cartier, Gucci, Chanel, etc. I went to school in Iowa and visit a few times per year. There are a few stores that you can find in Iowa, but the majority you won't be able to (No, not even at the Jordan Creek Mall ;-)). If you're into fashion/clothing and all that, it actually continues onto Oak Street and Rush Street from there. Oak is at the north end of Michigan Avenue (Mag Mile) and places such as Hermes, Prada, Christian Louboutin, etc are there and down Rush are designers such as Marc Jacobs, Ted Baker, etc. Not everything is upscale though...I think there's a fair balance of stuff at most levels (but you aren't going to find something like a Wal Mart there).

There are also some restaurants, food, etc along Michigan Avenue. On other streets are way more restaurants, bars, etc (head west of Michigan Avenue to River North for the more trendy, good stuff). My last piece of advice here has to do with the food. Chicago is usually rated as one of the top 3 food places in the US with NYC and San Francisco SO...if you love food, try not to eat at chain places There is so much good locally run food places in Chicago it's not even funny (and some by famous chefs). If you are feeling comfortable enough there, head to some other neighborhoods (accessible by train) like Lincoln Park or Lakeview. These are still dense neighborhoods, but more neighborhoody. Downtown Chicago is less neighborhood feeling in more areas. A good number of the best restaurants in Chicago aren't even downtown (although there are tons of good food places and bars downtown).

Oh yeah, and if any of you are a fan of cars, the Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Masserati dealership is right off of Michigan Avenue on the intersection of Rush and Pearson. It's very close to the Hershey's Chocolate and Ghiradeli Chocolate shops.

Sorry for the long message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM

486 posts, read 862,820 times
There are some excellent recommendations here. I would definitely recommend the Wendella Boat Tours by the
Wrigley Building (the locks are interesting) the Field Museum (with Sue the largest, best preserved and complete
T-Rex) and Second City in Old Town (north of the mag mile & close to Lincoln Park - with a free zoo). If you
do go to Second City you would have to purchase and reserve tickets in advance (some times they can be
booked up for 2 weeks) and go to the original Main Stage on Wells Street.
It may help to go to the Chicago Cultural Center (formally the original library) they have a visitors area & they
can answer any questions and offer maps and some discount coupons. If you do go, use the Randolph entrance
(it's off Michigan ave, a few yards west).
For more dining options, past the Mag mile, you can go to Rush Street that has some great restaurants such as
Hugo's Frog Bar and Dublins (they are a little pricey) and there's Jilly's Piano bar (think of old blue eyes).
Where Philly has their sandwich Chicago has their own - the Italian Beef. There's a place called Portillo's
on 100 W. Ontario (go west on Ohio) that has a great Italian beef and other stuff, plus it won't hurt your
pocket book.
Have a great time.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
and there's Jilly's Piano bar (think of old blue eyes).
That is not there anymore. The building has been torn down to make way for a new one which will house a clothing store (and not sure what else). I noticed the other day it was completely torn down and the next day, there were conventional construction "ads" placed where you couldn't see it any more. The building is *supposed* to be completed sometime this summer.

The Back Room which has live jazz moved down the street but not too far. It's below Le Colonial on Rush, just south of Oak (just south of Hermes) now on the East side of the street. The space is pretty nice. There will be a guy out there trying to get you in if you pass him of course.

There are a handful of jazz clubs in Near North though such as:
* The Joynt - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Underground Wonder Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL (more World Fusion jazz)
* Blue Chicago - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Backroom - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Redhead Piano Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

etc.

If you want to see real Chicago blues, I recommend one of these places:
* B.L.U.E.S. - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Kingston Mines - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Buddy Guy's Legends - South Loop - Chicago, IL

Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That is not there anymore. The building has been torn down to make way for a new one which will house a clothing store (and not sure what else). I noticed the other day it was completely torn down and the next day, there were conventional construction "ads" placed where you couldn't see it any more. The building is *supposed* to be completed sometime this summer.

The Back Room which has live jazz moved down the street but not too far. It's below Le Colonial on Rush, just south of Oak (just south of Hermes) now on the East side of the street. The space is pretty nice. There will be a guy out there trying to get you in if you pass him of course.

There are a handful of jazz clubs in Near North though such as:
* The Joynt - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Underground Wonder Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL (more World Fusion jazz)
* Blue Chicago - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Backroom - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Redhead Piano Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

etc.

If you want to see real Chicago blues, I recommend one of these places:
* B.L.U.E.S. - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Kingston Mines - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Buddy Guy's Legends - South Loop - Chicago, IL
WHATTTT? Too bad but thanks for letting me know.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
WHATTTT? Too bad but thanks for letting me know.
Stampede on Rush: Frye Boots Taking over Jilly's Piano Bar - Coming Soon - Racked Chicago

The Back Room moved barely down the street and the new space is nice. I saw a really good show there not long ago.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,174 times
Chicago is a great city-Have a fun trip- some travel tips
Chicago travel guide - Wikitravel

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 05-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply!!! Your information was so helpful. After researching the hotels downtown it looks like we will try and do the priceline or hotwire toward the end of the summer. marothisu thank you for difining what the downtown areas are called , that does help. I was reading that you could get a CTA pass cheap. Is the CTA the EL? IF so will that get us all over easily? Not sure how hard it is to figure the EL out . The comedy show and boat tour that MassVT mention sounds really good. One more question, I keep reading about all the shopping on Magnificent mile (I think thats the place) is that just shops you would fine anywhere in any cities or are they totally unique type of shops? Like I said we are in are 50's but of course think of ourselves as the new forties and open to any kind of fun and entertainment. Thanks again for your tips and help.
I don't have much experience with transit systems, but I am a Chicago newbie and do just fine with their mass transit. However, I have my phone to thank for that. I depend on Google Maps. I have an Android phone so Google Maps came pre-programmed on my phone. If you have an iPhone, look into downloading Google Maps OR HopStop. Hopstop is pretty much mass transit geared. HopStop does have the option for a cab, should you want/need one.

If anyone in your grop has an Android or iPhone, Google Maps and HopStop will really come in handy, along with Yelp. Yelp is a website where people can go to give ratings to different businesses. I mainly use it to look up reviews for restaurants.

I hope you have a great trip.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM

70 posts, read 342,732 times
OMG what great information! Thank you so much for all your help. You Chicagoians ??? are very friendly helpful people! Can't wait to visit your city!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 AM

70 posts, read 342,732 times
Where would be the best place to try true Chicago pizza!?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM

You'll probably get several responses. Personally I like Pizzeria Uno and Dues where it all started. However, there
can be a long wait (it takes about 45-60 minutes to get the pizza and they ask you at the door what you want
and place to order in then). Both are small inside. Note: Uno and Due was sold out several years ago & has
chains across the US. Those pizzas are awful but the original two in Chicago haven't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago