Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Devlin2 View Post
But Lincoln Park is safe?

And what about the United Center area? Is it bad? Because Im really into sports and if I go there, that would be one of the first places Id visit hehehe
I've only visited the city, but Lincoln Park has always felt safe when I've been there. Most residents will say the same.

If you go to a Bulls or Blackhawks game, there will be a lot of people and police out. You'll be fine. The chance of actually being a victim of crime is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:

And what about the United Center area? Is it bad? Because Im really into sports and if I go there, that would be one of the first places Id visit hehehe
Okay dude. Let me explain something to you. Nobody on here is going to recommend you live in a bad neighborhood, and no school is going to recommend you live in a bad neighborhood either. Lincoln Park is one of THE safest neighborhoods in the entire city. There's a reason why professional baseball, hockey, basketball, etc players and other millionaires choose to live there amongst other people who have good jobs (and some students too since DePaul University is there). Furthermore, the bad areas of Chicago are segregated from the good areas. The chances of you walking into a bad neighborhood from say River North is about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% and from Lincoln Park almost about the same.

The media has obviously gotten to you. Whatever you have heard about dangerous Chicago, throw it out for most of the north side neighborhoods - which would include say Lincoln Park, River North, Lakeview, etc. If it wasn't safe, I would have already told you and others would have told you to look elsewhere. It's that simple.

The areas are very safe. Obviously anything could happen, but the chances of it happening in these areas is very small and a ton of Chicago is actually like that. Most of the crime happens in small percentage of neighborhoods and almost none of them are near any good neighborhoods you would ever want to hang out in.

As far as the Bulls go...is the area safe? It is fine. The setting is rough around the edges, but really, the Bulls and the Blackhawks both average probably over 20,000 fans per game. Most people have absolutely no problem there. You'll be fine.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:

Lincoln Park is one of the safest areas in the city. I don't think anyone would think that Austin and Lincoln Park are close together. It would take about 3 hours to walk from central areas of Lincoln Park over to the really bad areas in Austin - it's like 14KM away. I'm guessing a very large majority of people living in Lincoln Park have never really been anywhere near the terrible areas on the south and west sides. Chicago is physically huge and the good and bad neighborhoods are pretty well separated. You normally aren't going to be walking through a really nice safe area and then just stumble into a horrible dangerous ghetto. You'll know if you do, and it's not like if you walk into a dangerous area as a regular civillian that you're going to be instantly attacked or something. Tens of thousands of people live in those neighorhoods and its not like they're all victims every day or something.

You won't be living in any terrible neighborhoods, you have NO reason to really go to those areas, and it would take you HOURS to walk to many of them.

United Center is fine. Tens of thousands of people go there for hockey and basketball games all the time and everyone gets around just fine.

You should realize that in Chicago around 75% of murders and shootings are gang members shooting other gang members and revolve around illegal drug trade. If you're not part of a streetgang and dealing drugs then your chances of being in a violent crime in Chicago goes down GREATLY. It's part of the reason there isn't more outrage about the murders/shootings/attacks. Much of it is criminal on criminal.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Where do you live in Brazil?

You just don't have to adjust your life around the threat of crime like you do in just about every major Brazilian city. So I don't know what your expecting, but the reality is unless you pass out drunk on the train every night, you'll be fine. You can walk around at night, walk from bar to bar, take the train or bus home from the bars, whatever.

That's not to say no one ever gets mugged, but it's pretty rare, I actually only know of one person who has been. I think just about all of the brasilieros i know either have been mugged or had a really close call.

Bottom line, f#cking relax dude, you're taking a huge step up in personal safety when you move here.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

36 posts, read 74,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay dude. Let me explain something to you. Nobody on here is going to recommend you live in a bad neighborhood, and no school is going to recommend you live in a bad neighborhood either. Lincoln Park is one of THE safest neighborhoods in the entire city. There's a reason why professional baseball, hockey, basketball, etc players and other millionaires choose to live there amongst other people who have good jobs (and some students too since DePaul University is there). Furthermore, the bad areas of Chicago are segregated from the good areas. The chances of you walking into a bad neighborhood from say River North is about 0.00000000000000000000000000001% and from Lincoln Park almost about the same.

The media has obviously gotten to you. Whatever you have heard about dangerous Chicago, throw it out for most of the north side neighborhoods - which would include say Lincoln Park, River North, Lakeview, etc. If it wasn't safe, I would have already told you and others would have told you to look elsewhere. It's that simple.

The areas are very safe. Obviously anything could happen, but the chances of it happening in these areas is very small and a ton of Chicago is actually like that. Most of the crime happens in small percentage of neighborhoods and almost none of them are near any good neighborhoods you would ever want to hang out in.

As far as the Bulls go...is the area safe? It is fine. The setting is rough around the edges, but really, the Bulls and the Blackhawks both average probably over 20,000 fans per game. Most people have absolutely no problem there. You'll be fine.
Ok man, Im sorry, I didnt mean to insult you. I just want to make sure Ill be in a good place..
And about the Bulls, is just like tou said, the setting is very rough round the edges but if you say so, I think itll be fine too. And thank you, dude, you are helping me a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Lincoln Park is one of the safest areas in the city. I don't think anyone would think that Austin and Lincoln Park are close together. It would take about 3 hours to walk from central areas of Lincoln Park over to the really bad areas in Austin - it's like 14KM away. I'm guessing a very large majority of people living in Lincoln Park have never really been anywhere near the terrible areas on the south and west sides. Chicago is physically huge and the good and bad neighborhoods are pretty well separated. You normally aren't going to be walking through a really nice safe area and then just stumble into a horrible dangerous ghetto. You'll know if you do, and it's not like if you walk into a dangerous area as a regular civillian that you're going to be instantly attacked or something. Tens of thousands of people live in those neighorhoods and its not like they're all victims every day or something.

You won't be living in any terrible neighborhoods, you have NO reason to really go to those areas, and it would take you HOURS to walk to many of them.

United Center is fine. Tens of thousands of people go there for hockey and basketball games all the time and everyone gets around just fine.

You should realize that in Chicago around 75% of murders and shootings are gang members shooting other gang members and revolve around illegal drug trade. If you're not part of a streetgang and dealing drugs then your chances of being in a violent crime in Chicago goes down GREATLY. It's part of the reason there isn't more outrage about the murders/shootings/attacks. Much of it is criminal on criminal.
Hmm, ok, I got it! I think Ill be fine in Lincoln Park, then. The thing is that in Brazil its kinda different.. Here it is just like you said, you are walking in one of the best neighborhoods in the city and then you just see yourself walking into a slum, its pretty bad and it happened to me lots of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Where do you live in Brazil?

You just don't have to adjust your life around the threat of crime like you do in just about every major Brazilian city. So I don't know what your expecting, but the reality is unless you pass out drunk on the train every night, you'll be fine. You can walk around at night, walk from bar to bar, take the train or bus home from the bars, whatever.

That's not to say no one ever gets mugged, but it's pretty rare, I actually only know of one person who has been. I think just about all of the brasilieros i know either have been mugged or had a really close call.

Bottom line, f#cking relax dude, you're taking a huge step up in personal safety when you move here.
Its because here in Brazil, its really dangerous to go back home by bus at 3, 4 oclock in the morning.. Actually, its dangerous all the time, you kidding me that you only know one person that has already been mugged.. And yes, here in Brazil, almost everyone has already been mugged at least once, and I know people that have been 20, 30 times.. After this, I am convinced hahaha I think you are right, I should relax about that

And thank you all who are helping me, it has been really great!! Thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Ok man, Im sorry, I didnt mean to insult you. I just want to make sure Ill be in a good place..
And about the Bulls, is just like tou said, the setting is very rough round the edges but if you say so, I think itll be fine too. And thank you, dude, you are helping me a lot!
You didn't insult me, but nobody on here is going to tell you to live in a bad neighborhood and no school in their right mind especially one downtown is going to tell you to either.

The area looks rough around the edges, it used to be, but it's better. You will be totally fine. The Bulls are about to build a new practice facility near there and a retail/food extension of the area in the millions because the area sucks outside of the Arena if you want to drink. If you want a better experience, go to Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville around that (in Lakeview).

Quote:
Hmm, ok, I got it! I think Ill be fine in Lincoln Park, then. The thing is that in Brazil its kinda different.. Here it is just like you said, you are walking in one of the best neighborhoods in the city and then you just see yourself walking into a slum, its pretty bad and it happened to me lots of times.
Yep not going to happen here except for about 2 or 3 neighborhoods you might never visit anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:

Its because here in Brazil, its really dangerous to go back home by bus at 3, 4 oclock in the morning.. Actually, its dangerous all the time, you kidding me that you only know one person that has already been mugged.. And yes, here in Brazil, almost everyone has already been mugged at least once, and I know people that have been 20, 30 times.. After this, I am convinced hahaha I think you are right, I should relax about that
Yeah. I know a dude in Rio who has had his shoes stolen from him, while walking, 3 times, carjacked at gunpoint twice, car radio stolen 3 times, not including one time when someone pulled a gun on him and yelled at him asking why he didn't have a car radio, one week after someone else stole it.

Knowing his experience is bad but not all that unusual, I think its strange how concerned you are with crime in the US. Basically, if you aren't in gangs or the drug trade, your chances of being a victim of violent crime (armed robbery, assault, etc) are pretty slim.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Why? I heard once that Chicago is really segregated, black people in the south and white people in the north and that a black person doesnt go to the "white area" and a white person doesnt go to the "black area", is it true? The thing is, here in Brazil, we have this impression of US, a rascist country but I dont know whats true about that and whats not.

To live in River North is more expensive than living in Lincoln Park? And the bars and clubs are more expensive too? I dont know whats better because I have these two options of student residences but both schools are in River North, so to live in Licoln Park would be worse in terms of going to school. In the other hand, its cheaper and maybe if there is more things to do there, it would worth taking a bus to go to school everyday. What you think?
I've lived in Chicago for about 15 years. I've lived in River North for about 9 years. I like River North, but it's expensive, and not just the rent. The food is more expensive, there are are fewer really cheap places to eat, the grocery stores are more expensive, the clubs are nice, but more expensive than in other neighborhoods. If your family will pay for everything, then it's not really horribly expensive, but it's noticeably more expensive than Lincoln Park for regular food and daily expenses. I didn't live in River North until i was making a six figure income, and in the past 9 years it's gotten even more expensive than it was when I moved in.

Quote:
Its because here in Brazil, its really dangerous to go back home by bus at 3, 4 oclock in the morning.. Actually, its dangerous all the time, you kidding me that you only know one person that has already been mugged.. And yes, here in Brazil, almost everyone has already been mugged at least once, and I know people that have been 20, 30 times.. After this, I am convinced hahaha I think you are right, I should relax about that...
In Chicago, and most U.S. cities, if you stay on well-lit streets, don't walk around drunk, don't "look lost", pay attention to where you're going and not just stare at your phone, you'll probably never be mugged. I've lived in Chicago 15 years and I can only think of three people I know who have been mugged. 1 was walking drunk through a dark alley, 1 was riding his bike through an area he knew was dangerous, and 1 worked a job that paid a lot in cash tips and I think his muggers knew him and marked him to steal his tip money.

So, basically, it's not like Brazil where everyone gets mugged. Here, most people do not get mugged, and while I don't want to blame the victims, often times people who do get mugged could have stayed safe by not walking around drunk and not going into dark or known dangerous areas.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM

36 posts, read 74,526 times
Thank you all for the replies, you helped me a lot!!

Just two more questions:

Im planing to go to Chicago in October and Im going to stay there for 6 mounths, which means that the most part of it is going to be in the winter. I really want to see snow, but do people go out when its too cold and snowing? Of course when there is a storm or something, people dont, but I mean, when there is only coldness and snow, do people still want to go out and have fun?

And another thing: Is the area next to Dominican University good? On north of Forest Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago