Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
If you are in Chicago, be prepared to have everything be very Midwest-focused (ie everyone into Big Ten sports, lots of Indiana/Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan local stuff I wasn't familiar with, and kind of provincial sometimes). Be prepared to have some very different conversations in social gatherings. You will be considered weird if you want to discuss arts, or politics, or anything non-local.

Just one person's opinion, though. I could be happy anywhere if in a good situation.
It sounds like you never left Lincoln Park or Lakeview, or hung out with anyone not attending a college. The main topics of conversations I have with people are politics, food/drink, art/design, books, and building/fabricating things. I've been in Chicago for 20 years and I don't even know who's in the big 10, or anyone who follows a big 10 team. There's some talk about pro sports (especially Blackhawks and Bulls recently) - but no more than I saw growing up in Boston or living in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I guess I don't hang out with midwestern folks.
Most of my hangout people outside of work are from the East coast. But I can't deny the Midwest vibe of Chicago. It isn't bad or good. It is a fact.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It sounds like you never left Lincoln Park or Lakeview, or hung out with anyone not attending a college. The main topics of conversations I have with people are politics, food/drink, art/design, books, and building/fabricating things. I've been in Chicago for 20 years and I don't even know who's in the big 10, or anyone who follows a big 10 team. There's some talk about pro sports (especially Blackhawks and Bulls recently) - but no more than I saw growing up in Boston or living in NYC.
This. Exactly this.

I do have my "YEAH SPORTS!!!" friends and I have friends who are like "Bulls, cool" but are still very politics, art/music, etc driven for the most part. I have many friends who don't even watch sports. It's hilarious to me to hear people say that everyone is like "YEAH BIG 10! SPORTS! GWARRRRHHHHRHRHRHR"

It's ****ing obvious these people who say that never left Lincoln Park, Old Town, or part of Lakeview or River North for that fact. Yeah, it exists, but there's tons of people in the city who are nothing like that. TONS.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM

126 posts, read 133,444 times
what caused the downtown and other parts to develop along the lake? was the economy based there near the water? i kno theres a port there too, do the ships go to/from canada or where?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by do sum'n View Post
what caused the downtown and other parts to develop along the lake? was the economy based there near the water? i kno theres a port there too, do the ships go to/from canada or where?
Pretty much. When Chicago first began to grow the Erie canal and shipping was the main method of transport. Larger ships would arrive in Chicago with manufactured goods to be sold to settlers to the West, and return with grain and lumber to be brought from Erie to NYC by barge. Later as the railroads were built they were built in Chicago, since it had already become a main trading point due to shipping. Some goods (like lumber and grains) continued to be shipped by boat/barge, but more perishable items (like livestock and later meat) were sent East by rail. The fact that the farmers sold in Chicago, and Eastern merchants bought in Chicago made it a massive trading center. The modern concepts of Commodities Trading and grading grain, meat etc. were invented in Chicago.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM

126 posts, read 133,444 times
is there any trade activity like this going on in the lake today?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I did, for grad school, and then I moved back to the NY area.

They are very different places. And the people are quite different. It was a bit of an adjustment.

I had a decent time in Chicago, but it wasn't for me. The Midwest isn't my favorite part of the country, though I was happy with my graduate program.

Overall I'm much happier on the East Coast, and prefer the NYC vibe. If you are in Chicago, be prepared to have everything be very Midwest-focused (ie everyone into Big Ten sports, lots of Indiana/Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan local stuff I wasn't familiar with, and kind of provincial sometimes). Be prepared to have some very different conversations in social gatherings. You will be considered weird if you want to discuss arts, or politics, or anything non-local.

Just one person's opinion, though. I could be happy anywhere if in a good situation.

What? This is just not true. Hell..my girlfriend is from Thailand, doesn't even KNOW about sports. I would say 95 percent of my friends and work acquaintances are the same way...just don't care and prefer Chicago's amazing art, food and music scenes. She lives in Logan Square, and I'm there all the time. You can't even FIND sports bars in Logan Square. There are tons and tons of neighborhoods and people all over this city that could care less about sports or don't even know about them period. If you're in Lincoln Park, or whatever..of course you'll have more sports fans. Other parts of the city..Pilsen, Logan Square, Hyde Park, etc., are VERY art focused and have no cares for sports. Chicago just like NYC, Boston, Philly, etc., is a great sports town.....but for anyone to insist that people are all one way in a metro area of 10 MILLION PEOPLE is patently absurd and/or ignorant.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
What? This is just not true. Hell..my girlfriend is from Thailand, doesn't even KNOW about sports. I would say 95 percent of my friends and work acquaintances are the same way
Yeah, my girlfriend is from Malaysia and she barely knows anything about American sports outside of Jeremy Lin (LOL..serious) and most of her friends are the same.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times
And even on the concept of sports -- not everybody who is into sports in some way or another is some dumb illiterate knucklehead. Us sports fans who have an in-depth knowledge of sports, but also a realistic perspective of its appropriate place in society do find that this city can be an outstanding place to enjoy sports.

To wit, the most engaging conversation I've had with sports in the last year was a 45 minute conversation with a Harvard educated architecture professor who rarely follows sports about how teams try to manage the game clock in American football and leverage their respective advantages versus their opponents.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
And even on the concept of sports -- not everybody who is into sports in some way or another is some dumb illiterate knucklehead. Us sports fans who have an in-depth knowledge of sports, but also a realistic perspective of its appropriate place in society do find that this city can be an outstanding place to enjoy sports.

To wit, the most engaging conversation I've had with sports in the last year was a 45 minute conversation with a Harvard educated architecture professor who rarely follows sports about how teams try to manage the game clock in American football and leverage their respective advantages versus their opponents.
Let's be honest most sports fans are not like your Harvard friend. They get really into it cause it offers an escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago