Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckc View Post
Interesting, never seen this before. Although regular google maps has much more functionality and is more user friendly imo. Is this an intern project or something, I don't see the point. Regular google maps is already excellent for public transit directions.
intern project? what you talking about? just trying to be helpful. my experience using the transit directions was that it was a different site. didn't notice the bus icon at the top of the regular maps page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The Blue Line subway is the fastest and cheapest way from the airport. If you have to be on a plane at 6:40 AM you might consider a taxi because you need to be at the airport by about 5AM which means that you would have to catch the Blue Line at about 4AM. It is safe but the trains are less frequent (15 mins as opposed to 5 minutes wait) and the Kennedy usually does not jam up until after 6AM.
It's somewhat comedic being on the Blue Line during rush hour and you just see these virtually stationary cars on the highway while you're in the train zooming by.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Have you never heard of Google? It's an amazing website that has a cool mapping feature that not only gives you maps of more or less any address you enter, it provides accurate directions, including routes using public transportation, AND it comes with times! Very, very easy to use. I suggest you check it out.
Hello sarcastic douche bag... Your comment does not answer my question regarding alternative efficient routes and the modes of transportation that would be best to use between an airport and a central business district. Next time you want to be an a$$hole, i suggest you apply to Dick's Last Resort. You will find satisfaction at the expense of insulting the intelligence of others. You're welcome.

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 05-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Because my original post had words that Lorielicious would have to look up. Saving it time.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) Yes, there is a train that goes from O'Hare to the Loop. The Blue Line. Follow the signs down to Baggage Claim and then you'll see some signs that say "Trains to the City"..follow those signs to the train terminal. Get on the train that everyone else is on or someone tells you to get on. There's no way to mess up going in the wrong direction - it only goes in one direction.

Then just ride that all the way down to the Loop..you'll have to know what stop to get off at of course.

2) I would suggest taking a cab if your flight is at 6:40am. If you can check in online beforehand then yeah. A cab ride from the Loop to O'Hare will probably take around 20-25 minutes maybe. I have had flights at that time before (even before) where it's actually still half busy at 5:30am. It will probably cost you like $40 total. If you don't want to do that, then the train ride from the Loop is like 45-55 minutes (plus you might have to wait when you get to the station). I guess since it's a Saturday and the bars here close at 4am and 5am...you might be riding with some late night partiers maybe.

I guess it depends on where you're staying but 6:40am flight...I would get there around 5:30am or 5:40am. That means you should be on the train itself at like 4:35am-4:45am maybe?

3) Please, please, please make sure you get OUT of the Loop when you're there. Why? The Loop is the Central Business District. There is some tourist stuff there but it is in way the most vibrant, exciting part of the city. If you want to see the vibrant areas of the city, get out of the area. Visit areas like River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc if you have time...in the least get to River North/Streeterville/Magnificent Mile/Gold Coast. They are right across the river and bridges
Thank you so much. I wrote down all the areas you suggested. I will have a couple days to check them out. I'm stoked. Also, I appreciate your transportation suggestions.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:41 PM

To everyone else who provided meaningful advice, thanks as always!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Everyone keeps saying blue line, I guess no one knows that it's a Metra O'Hare stop(North Central Service) that goes to Union Station

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Everyone keeps saying blue line, I guess no one knows that it's a Metra O'Hare stop(North Central Service) that goes to Union Station
Yes we know about it but it's schedule leaves a lot to be desired. There are only 10 trains a day and hours between them sometimes! Blue line is much better from a frequency standpoint and the blue line is 24 hours. This option might be better if he were heading somewhere into the northern/semi northwest burbs but not into Chicago.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Yes we know about it but it's schedule leaves a lot to be desired. There are only 10 trains a day and hours between them sometimes! Blue line is much better from a frequency standpoint and the blue line is 24 hours. This option might be better if he were heading somewhere into the burbs but not into Chicago.
True, but carrying baggage on CTA Blue Line is such as hassle...Metra has plenty of room and a luggage rack if you sit on the top. Also, I think the earliest from Union station to O'hare train is around 7 something..

Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
True, but carrying baggage on CTA Blue Line is such as hassle...Metra has plenty of room and a luggage rack if you sit on the top.
Yeah but he asked for the fastest/cheapest way...Metra would only be faster if you happen to arrive at a time not long before the train departs...Blue line is frequent enough that his arrival time does not matter and it is cheaper than Metra. Plus lots of people carry baggage on the Blue Line and if he has a lot of it perhaps he should opt for a taxi instead(however that would be slower than the blue line or Metra in rush).

Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
And not everyone coming to town has 5 pieces of luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago