Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,483,141 times

Advertisements

Hi - I cant think of any expressly-no-dogs building, however, if you are that skittish about dogs, and I can understand your point coz they bug me too - but like in the neighborhood you are probably going to pass by people walking their dogs on the sidewalk, cant quite totally get away from them

Imma cat person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM

82 posts, read 196,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - I cant think of any expressly-no-dogs building, however, if you are that skittish about dogs, and I can understand your point coz they bug me too - but like in the neighborhood you are probably going to pass by people walking their dogs on the sidewalk, cant quite totally get away from them

Imma cat person
There are a few, but sadly they get snapped up first.

It's a little easier outside, because there's space to get away from them. That's harder to do on an elevator or in a hall.

What I'm finding now is that even buildings that are "no dog"/"no pet" now may have just become so, which means anyone with a pet that was there before the rule changed gets to keep them. And many people evade this by getting their dog declared "emotional support"<--this is a real thing, sounds stupid but i'm not making it up!

If the dog is called "emotional support" then its just like a seeing eye dog: even "no dog" places must allow them, AND waive the pet fees!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiata View Post
There are a few, but sadly they get snapped up first.

It's a little easier outside, because there's space to get away from them. That's harder to do on an elevator or in a hall.

What I'm finding now is that even buildings that are "no dog"/"no pet" now may have just become so, which means anyone with a pet that was there before the rule changed gets to keep them. And many people evade this by getting their dog declared "emotional support"<--this is a real thing, sounds stupid but i'm not making it up!

If the dog is called "emotional support" then its just like a seeing eye dog: even "no dog" places must allow them, AND waive the pet fees!
haha! dont give people any more ideas on how to cheat the increasingly-devious-way-of-claiming- disability-without-being-disabled-so-they-can-get-free-money-from-the-govenrment scheme

Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,177,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I've had more noticeably noisy neighbors in big buildings than small ones.
My guess is that she's comparing small older buildings that have wooden floors and ceilings with large newer buildings that have concrete dividers. That's the only way I can think of that someone would equate smaller buildings with more sound/noise.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
My guess is that she's comparing small older buildings that have wooden floors and ceilings with large newer buildings that have concrete dividers. That's the only way I can think of that someone would equate smaller buildings with more sound/noise.
yep

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM

Hey i just thought of something. I dont know which part of town you want to live in, however, if you rent a condo, I believe the condo owners do NOT want pets of any kind - even cats. But especially dogs! You can look at a website like Trulia or Urban Luxe, for a couple examples. Condo owners are going to be very meticulous moreso than an apartment owner, and I betcha you would have better luck renting a condo. I know there are some apartment complexes which have several buildings, and some are designated as strictly the "dog building" or "no pets allowed". Those might be in the suburbs.. so check around.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Sunny & Bright & Big & Fun & Warm

the above is a link on Craiglist. I went in to the Apartments area of Craiglist... and in the "search" area, i put in the words "sorry, no pets" then i scrolled down to see and this one says NO PETS.

so you can try that.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 PM

Heres another one on Craiglist from the "sorry, no pets" I put in there -

What A Steal, A Two Year Old Gut Rehab For July 1st!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 AM

That's a great idea! I was looking for highrises in Lakeview/LP based on my research here and elsewhere.

I am going to keep looking--it doesn't sound like people control their dogs enough for me to risk one of the highrises currently on my list.

I appreciate the tip!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,865,282 times
Dogs and high rises are a bad mix. People don't want to step in a pile of dog sheet or have the elevators smelling like dog pee. The worst people are the ones that think they can keep a more active breed of dog like a Terrier in a high rise and expect it to behave and not bark. Terriers are bred to run, jump and dig and not live in small apartments up high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: