Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 27,064 times

Advertisements

I know this area has an unsavory rep/history, but what are your thoughts on the current state of that strip?

We're looking at a place at Balmoral & Winthrop, and the area (did some street-level crawling on Google Maps) looks pretty damn nice. Proximity to lake/beach & transit - looks great. The word "Winthrop" triggered immediate warnings from a couple friends, though - am I missing something?

We're moving this summer - new to Chicago, but familiar w/ the neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
I think that area is fine... I think the only problems Winthrop has had recently is further north near the Granville red line stop, but even then..I don't think any of those areas are really dangerous or whatever. I, however, do not speak for everyone.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
That area is totally fine and underrated

Kenmore/Winthrop between Bryn Mawr and Foster is a really nice little hood these days.

EDIT: one of the old, ugly, and trouble 4+1 buildings near that corner is in the process of getting a gut rehab as well.

Last edited by Aleking; 05-18-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM

178 posts, read 371,055 times
The area is fine.....like the other posters have said. I live near the Granville stop (which is about a mile north) and could not be happier. It is sooooooooooooo inexpensive compared to other areas on the North Side and it seems to be consistently improving because there are a lot of folks who are choosing it instead of Lakeview/Lincoln Park (because of how expensive those places have become). You may not have everything right at your intersection, but I promise you'll be able to find it within just a few stops on the train north or south. The only questionable stuff is some low income housing in the form of a few subsidized apartment areas and former hotels that rent the rooms monthly. Also, there are some empty store fronts, but a lot less than a few years ago. Not to worry if you are law abiding and responsible. Enjoy the area!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Some folks optimism is a little too much.

OP is new to Chicago. If they are not accustomed to the hassle factor of having creepy types that frequent the "hotels" (which make no mistakes are flop houses for bums with substance abuse problems and mental health issues...) I would strong recommend spending a little extra for a nicer neighborhood.

Sounds OP might be part of a couple and the creepy types have a tendency to sleeve out couples much more so than some guy living alone...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OP is new to Chicago. If they are not accustomed to the hassle factor of having creepy types that frequent the "hotels" (which make no mistakes are flop houses for bums with substance abuse problems and mental health issues...) I would strong recommend spending a little extra for a nicer neighborhood.

Sounds OP might be part of a couple and the creepy types have a tendency to sleeve out couples much more so than some guy living alone...
And some of us who have been here awhile also appreciate not living in an area that is frequented by creepy types and want to live in a nicer area too.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:

they don't exist on the this block

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:

Are you writing this from the 1970's and 1980's? I wasn't aware of a lot of those places near this area, and actually most of them that were around are now closed down anyway.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 27,064 times
"We" means we are indeed a couple...

I don't know...we've lived in cities. Bums and panhandlers don't phase us much, though we'd prefer them a block or two away. Chet, are you suggesting any real danger beyond the "creepy" factor? We're mostly looking between Foster and Berwyn Mawr, just E of Andersonville. The threads I'm reading seem to locate the sketchiness (however sketchy it is) a bit further N...? My wife will be using the CTA, so she'll be walking down that way even if we live closer to Clark. Ravenswood and Lincoln Square are also on the table, but we like being near the lake.

That place on Balmoral & Winthrop has been rented.

Thanks for the replies all the same - very helpful.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Lincoln Square is far less likely to have any issues with creepy types hanging out near the El -- vacancy rates are also far lower. Spaces for resturants are in demand.In short it is a nicer place to live and if you can afford it would make for a much better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago