U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM

4,111 posts, read 8,252,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Ok.

I've met many from Ohio Michigan Iowa on the Northside of the city. Very seldom do I meet a Missourian or St. Louisan or someone from Kansas City.

I know much of the brain drain that I saw was from the African American community. They are mainly going to the sun belt. I know many Black professionals who grow up here run away first chance to Atlanta Charlotte Dallas and Houston. It's amazing how different the thought process is between the different groups.
Yeah, a number of black people from Chicagoland seem to want to move to Atlanta. Although it's not just EDUCATED black people...

Please provide statistics to support the suggestion that black professionals aren't drawn to Chicago from other parts of the Midwest..
Rate this post positively

Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 AM

6,118 posts, read 7,162,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Yeah, a number of black people from Chicagoland seem to want to move to Atlanta. Although it's not just EDUCATED black people...

Please provide statistics to support the suggestion that black professionals aren't drawn to Chicago from other parts of the Midwest..
Hi urza,

I have no statistics to support my statement just personal observation that I have of growing up in St.Louis and staying in contact with friends from that area.

I have made friends with black professional transplants who likes the city just as much as I do but I wouldn't consider it a Mecca for us.

I noticed on the list of schools neither of the universities in St.Louis including the one I went to has a huge alumni in Chicago.

That's why the original post raised an eye brow for me. Not all of the smart people from the Midwest move to Chicago. It may be a Mecca but you can't say all.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 05-22-2013 at 04:02 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM

13,306 posts, read 15,151,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That's why the original post raised an eye brow for me. Not all of the smart people from the Midwest move to Chicago. It may be a Mecca but you can't say all.
Well, anyone who says "all" would be wrong. I don't think that's the point of this. What is interesting was the growth rate of college educated people in the metro area growing by 27% from 2006 to 2011. Well over the national average of 17% or whatever it was.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM

11,973 posts, read 29,402,518 times
I've been meeting a lot more people from Nebraska and Kansas lately... Missouri? Not so much. It must be their hatred of the Cubs, like Kryptonite to Superman.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM

13,306 posts, read 15,151,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I've been meeting a lot more people from Nebraska and Kansas lately... Missouri? Not so much. It must be their hatred of the Cubs, like Kryptonite to Superman.
I agree. Though recently I've noticed lots of Missouri plates parked in the neighborhoods, which I never really saw in the past.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM

6,118 posts, read 7,162,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I hate the cubs but love Chicago!

Chicago is looked up to by most St. Louisans as a city they want to be like.

Otoh, there are many Chicago transplants in St.Louis. I meet people everyday and very few are from St. Louis.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, it'd be good if Chicago did more in soaking up a lot more talent around the world. It does it some, but it could do more.
Totally agree and that comes with time. It does for finance and some tech, but NYC, LA, DC, and the Bay Area probably do more "international soaking" right now.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM

644 posts, read 1,082,171 times
Quote:
Also, it'd be good if Chicago did more in soaking up a lot more talent around the world. It does it some, but it could do more.
I'm kind of just guessing here, but I suspect that the reason for this is that Chicago-area companies aren't very good at offering visa sponsorship for smart international students to stay here and work. Tech and finance companies are often willing to jump through the bureaucratic hoops to attract these types, but a lot of the Chicago area's largest employers are healthcare companies and big corporate brands that won't be bothered to go through that process. This is really a larger issue of US immigration policy. I hope I live to see the day when policymakers can get over their xenophobic 'Merica-centric views and recognize the value of hosting a skilled immigrant population.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I'm kind of just guessing here, but I suspect that the reason for this is that Chicago-area companies aren't very good at offering visa sponsorship for smart international students to stay here and work.
Truth. My girlfriend went through this and her company basically said "We have never sponsored anyone" and had to let her go because of it. Her friends went through the same exact problem. I have other friends though who got sponsorship from small companies in town, but I mostly agree. Companies here SUCK at the sponsorship deal. They only tend to sponsor you on average if you have a more advanced degree.

Yeah, it costs money and everything but if the employee is worth it, they should cough up some money to make them stay here.

Quote:
This is really a larger issue of US immigration policy. I hope I live to see the day when policymakers can get over their xenophobic 'Merica-centric views and recognize the value of hosting a skilled immigrant population.
Yep. I mean I understand it but at the same time, like with my girlfriend..she was moving up FAST in the company. Very fast..and they basically just let her go even though they made her the head of a new department essentially. I mean her English was so good and she almost has no accent that most of the executive staff literally thought she was an American.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 PM

118 posts, read 173,363 times
Quote:
No offense, but I wouldn't consider the vast majority of people at Michigan State the smartest people in the midwest. It's a good school, but definitely not the best of the Midwest (and the best students from the Midwest don't necessarily go to a college in the Midwest even though there are some very good choices). That just seems like a really random stat for the article to cite.
Michigan State is a big school and on average is a step below Northwestern, Michigan, etc., but they do a very good job of attracting top students. Their numbers of incoming National Merit Scholars and production of Rhodes Scholars are much higher than you'd expect given their overall academic ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago