U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:28 PM

424 posts, read 420,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I do agree with Wicket too..but there are many younger people who also enjoy the whole walkable deal..especially those who have spent enough time in Europe.
You can walk to 'yo booty call ;-)
Rate this post positively

Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,180,940 times
My whole thing with this thread is some are sounding off like Chicago is the best of the Midwest. In terms of economy and jobs in most fields yes. In terms of urban lifestyle walkable neighborhoods and variety of things to do? Yes. Not every educated person wants the same thing and I'm having a hard time digesting Chicago as the all in all best place for everyone who is educated thought. It is very narrow and just isn't true. Different people like different things.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,433,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Not every educated person wants the same thing and I'm having a hard time digesting Chicago as the all in all best place for everyone who is educated thought. It is very narrow and just isn't true. Different people like different things.
Very true. I think I said that on page one.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,471,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That's why the original post raised an eye brow for me. Not all of the smart people from the Midwest move to Chicago. It may be a Mecca but you can't say all.
I think that title was meant to be provocative more than anything. Although there is a lot of truth to the "brain drain" argument, I do have to note that quite a few smart people from my Midwestern hometown (Cleveland) made a deliberate choice to remain there, while on the other hand I've met a number of Chicago transplants from other parts of the Midwest whom I personally didn't find to be all that bright.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,210,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS2015 View Post
Well obviously. Chicago is like the only nice midwestern city. The smartest people in the country from the best schools tend to gravitate to NYC and SF, and Boston to a lesser extent.
Very subjective statement. So I will say-totally false!

Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 PM

32 posts, read 77,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Totally agree and that comes with time. It does for finance and some tech, but NYC, LA, DC, and the Bay Area probably do more "international soaking" right now.

Even in finance, with the exception of a few firms such as citadel, magnetar, Madison Dearborn, GTCR, there aren't that many top hedge funds or private equity firms in Chicago. There is a lot of prop trading here, but elite finance jobs are clustered in nyc/Greenwich/boston/London and SF to a lesser extent.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM

126 posts, read 114,652 times
bigger city, bigger opportunities, pretty self explanatory

Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS2015 View Post
Even in finance, with the exception of a few firms such as citadel, magnetar, Madison Dearborn, GTCR, there aren't that many top hedge funds or private equity firms in Chicago. There is a lot of prop trading here, but elite finance jobs are clustered in nyc/Greenwich/boston/London and SF to a lesser extent.
Yeah, and guess what? Almost every major investment bank in the world has offices in chicago. Not to mention the largest options exchange in the US (CBOE) and the Mercantile Exchange...the largest stock market outside of NYC is in Chicago. Chicago is ranked in the top 5-10 of the world for Financial centers. People need to learn more about this if they seriously don't think Finance is a major, major industry in Chicago and isn't very world renowned. It's only overshadowed by NYC in the US, but it's ahead of any other US city, though every once in awhile someone thinks Boston is...but I'd beg to differ. Although Boston has some large groups like BAIN centered there, they don't have the US' largest options market nor the largest stock market outside of NYC along with everything else going on.

Here's the office locations of some investment banks:
* Goldman Sachs | 440 S LaSalle St #1600 and 71 S Wacker
* Deutsche Bank | 222 S Riverside Plaza
* Barclays Capital | 190 S LaSalle St #25
* Morgan Stanley | 440 S La Salle St # 3800
* Credit Suisse | 227 West Monroe Street
* Citigroup | 500 W Madison Street
* Merril Lynch | 540 W Madison Street
* BNP Paribas | 209 S LaSalle Street
* Nomura Securities | One North Wacker Drive, 40th Floor
* RBC Capital Markets | 500 W. Madison St. Suite 2500
* JPMorgan Chase | 565 W Adams St
* Lazard | 190 S LaSalle, 435 N Michigan, and 10 S Wacker
* UBS | 1 N Lower Wacker Dr
* Societe Generale | 190 S La Salle St # 3850
* BMO Capital Markets | 115 S. LaSalle Street
* Royal Bank of Scotland Group |
550 West Jackson Boulevard, Suite 1700 and S. Wacker Drive, 28th Floor
* Rothschild Investment Corporation | 311 S Wacker Dr
* Greenhill & Company | 155 N Wacker Dr #4550
* Lincoln International | 500 W Madison St #3900
* William Blair & Company | 222 W Adams St
* Nuveen Investments | 333 W Wacker Drive
* William Harris Investors | 191 N Upper Wacker Dr
* Citadel LLC | 131 S Dearborn Dr
* Stifel Nicolaus | 227 W Monroe St #1850
* Cantor Fitzgerald | 222 W Adams
* Duff & Phelps | 311 S Wacker Dr #4200
* Houlihan Capital | 500 W Madison St #2600 and 123 N Upper Wacker Dr
* Jeffries & Company | 55 W Monroe
* Blackstone Group | 360 N Michigan Ave

And many many more.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-25-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM

23,790 posts, read 25,650,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yes, Minneapolis and the Twin Cities region definitely continues to be a magnet for college-educated Midwesterners with an even greater tolerance for cold weather than those that move to Chicago, and we apologize for neglecting to bring it up in a discussion of Chicago in a Chicago-based forum. Thank you for trying to kick Chicago on the way out (we really like it here), and please note that the thread's title is just the name of an article in a somewhat biased local magazine.

Thanks for playing. And further apologies to the likes of Indianapolis, Madison, Omaha, Grand Rapids, and other fine Midwestern cities that aren't smoldering rust belt disaster zones. Our local booster magazine freelance authors promise to be more sensitive to your feelings in the future.
apology accepted

Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 PM

872 posts, read 1,877,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
While Chicago doesn’t have the strongest economy in the nation, it handily outshines most other Midwestern cities. Edward McClelland, a journalist who grew up in Lansing, Michigan, and has lived in Chicago since 1995, wondered why. How had his adopted city succeeded in becoming one of the world’s most influential metropolises while other once-bustling burgs declined? And how evenly will prosperity be shared going forward? He addresses those questions in his new book, Nothin’ but Blue Skies, excerpted here.

Why the Smartest People in the Midwest All Move To Chicago

Who does Chicago have to compete with?

Kansas City?
St.Louis?
Detroit?
Des Moines?

Let's get real here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago