U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,890,581 times

Advertisements

The smartest people move here because corporate America and all these corporate headquaters only hire the smartest. Thats why they are in Chicago. The CME or Sears corporate is going to hire smarter people than some 40 employee local company downstate. If you have no education, Chicago isn't going to appeal to you as much.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 AM

6,136 posts, read 7,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
If you have no education, Chicago isn't going to appeal to you as much.
I've met people with out a college degree who has made much better lives for themselves here then they could ever had in Memphis or any southern cities. Look at bus drivers city workers. I wouldn't call police officers and fire fighters uneducated but the do much better here than in smaller cities down south even considering cost of living. They don't brand Chicago the city that works for nothing.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've met people with out a college degree who has made much better lives for themselves here then they could ever had in Memphis or any southern cities. Look at bus drivers city workers. I wouldn't call police officers and fire fighters uneducated but the do much better here than in smaller cities down south even considering cost of living. They don't brand Chicago the city that works for nothing.
Yes, but how many move from all over the Midwest to Chicago just to be a city worker or bus driver? You usually need connections from relatives who grew up in the city etc to get a lot of those jobs anyways. Not many. Or not many compared to college grads. PLus, you can be a cop or bus driver anywhere. There are a lot of lines of work that are very high paying that Chicago has an abundance of that most cities don't, so smart college grads have to move here to fill them. Or people move here to progress in their careers because smaller cities don't have as high of a career ladder to climb. I also think the overall atmosphere of the area brings out the best of everyone work wise. Its very competitive, so everyone tries to be the best at what they do.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM

6,136 posts, read 7,228,806 times
Quote:
Yes, but how many move from all over the Midwest to Chicago just to be a city worker or bus driver? You usually need connections from relatives who grew up in the city etc to get a lot of those jobs anyways. Not many. Or not many compared to college grads. PLus, you can be a cop or bus driver anywhere. There are a lot of lines of work that are very high paying that Chicago has an abundance of that most cities don't, so smart college grads have to move here to fill them. Or people move here to progress in their careers because smaller cities don't have as high of a career ladder to climb. I also think the overall atmosphere of the area brings out the best of everyone work wise. Its very competitive, so everyone tries to be the best at what they do.
That's true!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:46 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,125,201 times
Many of our European ancestors landed on the East Coast and two hundred years later their descendants were moving to the untamed West to 'seek greener pastures'. While I may take poetic license there was truth in moving due to the overcrowding, desiring better soil/more acreage, or wanderlust.

Visiting and falling in love with the city is different than living in it. The graduates that stay in mega-cities are unaffected by the noise, city lights, constant motion, and distance. Then there are those who move for the wrong reasons and leave.
The undocumented are the well educated with strong family ties who live and work in cities that are closer to family. These cities survived because they could meet or exceed employee expectations.

There are two type of people. Those who thrive in large metropolitan areas, and those who thrive in smaller cities. It does not indicate one PhD is better _____ than the other.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 AM

5,913 posts, read 11,887,024 times
Quote:
The smartest people move here because corporate America and all these corporate headquaters only hire the smartest. Thats why they are in Chicago. The CME or Sears corporate is going to hire smarter people than some 40 employee local company downstate. If you have no education, Chicago isn't going to appeal to you as much.
Not quite sure I follow your logic and reasoning in regards to the cause and effect.

Starting off with corporate America and corporate headquarters only hire the smartest.

Well Corporate America and corporate headquarters are found all over the country in cities both large and small. Chicago may have more corporate headquarters than a city a quarter its size, but thats just because its bigger.

"smartest" is a little subjective. Why not just say "most qualified"? Someone with a PhD in sociology at a top university is among the best and brightest, but is obviously not qualified to work at a commodity exchange.

Like others have said, Chicago gets probably more low skill, low educated immigrants from other countries, maybe more than graduates from big ten universities.

I think a better example of a large city that wouldn't appeal to someone with little to no education, I think the best example might be Boston, since a much higher % of its economy and transplants are associated with all the top universities in that city.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Not quite sure I follow your logic and reasoning in regards to the cause and effect.

Starting off with corporate America and corporate headquarters only hire the smartest.

Well Corporate America and corporate headquarters are found all over the country in cities both large and small. Chicago may have more corporate headquarters than a city a quarter its size, but thats just because its bigger.

"smartest" is a little subjective. Why not just say "most qualified"? Someone with a PhD in sociology at a top university is among the best and brightest, but is obviously not qualified to work at a commodity exchange.

Like others have said, Chicago gets probably more low skill, low educated immigrants from other countries, maybe more than graduates from big ten universities.

I think a better example of a large city that wouldn't appeal to someone with little to no education, I think the best example might be Boston, since a much higher % of its economy and transplants are associated with all the top universities in that city.
Did you even read the article from the OP?

And after you work for a few years(majority of professionals), where you graduated doesn't define you. Your experience and softer skills do. An yes, Boston has good universities, but a lot of them leave for other east coast cities. Chicago is king of he Midwest with no competition from other cities. As the article said, chicago gets the brain drain from neighboring states. I doubt that's true for boston.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,714,574 times
Quote:
Did you even read the article from the OP?

And after you work for a few years(majority of professionals), where you graduated doesn't define you. Your experience and softer skills do. An yes, Boston has good universities, but a lot of them leave for other east coast cities. Chicago is king of he Midwest with no competition from other cities. As the article said, chicago gets the brain drain from neighboring states. I doubt that's true for boston.
Boston get the "brain drain" from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, and to am lesser extent, Rhode Island, and Connecticut ( more of these head for NYC)...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,449,222 times
A lot of "brain drain" of the "smartest people" leaves the midwest entirely for the coasts. More law grads from UMichigan go to NY than Illinois for example at an 18% to 12% clip.
Even for Chicago schools, more leave than stay. Only 35.8% of UChicago law grads stay in Chicago. More of them go to California/NYC/DC at a rate of 36.7%
It's similar for the J schools and other advanced degrees at top schools. Aren't those the "best and brightest" of the Midwest? And not the Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio State undergrad business majors flooding Chicago at entry level jobs and partying it up in Lakeview and Lincoln Park?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,449,581 times
I realize this is an older thread. But there have been several St. Louis posts, a place where I grew up, and still visit very frequently.

First the title of this thread is an exaggeration of course to stir the pot. It isn't true in that extreme.

As for Stl, many kids who go away to college, to Midwest schools, end up in Chicago while in their 20's, after graduation. Chicago is a big city in the region. The kids who go to one of tje coasts or elsewhere, don't wind up there as much, although it happens too. The length of time of stay varies. Some stay five years or less and return to their hometowns. This is common. Some stay permanently. I have seen this happen too. Some stay awhile, but get weather fatigue and seek better weather. And finally, some are interested in a life experience outside of the Midwest after a while. So it varies.

With born and raised Chicago kids, what I have seen is that the kids from the city have mostly returned to Chicago that I know. The kids from the burbs have had a more mixed showing with coming back or not.

So, many of the kids I know that end up in Chicago, Stl or not, first have gone away to college in the midwest somewhere first, then move to Chicago after school.

Most of the East Coast kids I knew that went to college in the Midwest returned to the East Coast, but not all.

These things vary. I know that enrollment of Chicago kids in schools in the state of Missouri is at an all time high, Mizzou, SLU, etc...

Chicago is a good place with good opportunity. For some it's a good fit. As for St. Louisans, it's more common for people to move to Chicago, if they have already gone away to college in the first place, especially in the Midwest. It's common for some to many of those people to move at least a little while to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago