Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,191,423 times

Advertisements

That made me cringe and it wreaks of an inferiority complex. What's the point of bashing other cities except to distract from the fact that similar negative attributes exist here? Or having to boast about "alpha" world status unless you're unsure about it? Other cities in the Midwest are not having problems because Chicago is sucking them dry. Their problems are due to their own unique circumstances. This type of thing just sounds annoying to people outside of Chicago.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,349,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
They are? What is Chicago doing that makes it so much smarter than the rest of the Midwest? I don't see what Chicago's population being any smarter than Minneapolis. For the last couple years the Twincities metro has gained more residents than Chicago for a reason.
Not that it really matters, since this was a thread about people moving to Chicago (not Mpls), but according to this thread that has data from the Census Bureau, the amount of recent college graduates in Chicagoland is growing at about 4% faster than the Twin Cities:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-msas-1-a.html

And sure, over the past two years the Twin Cities have been estimated to have grown faster than Chicagoland; however, 2000 to 2010 Chicagoland grew by ~360,000 people whereas Twin Cities grew by ~310,000. Sure, it's impressive growth for the Twin Cities, but two years is hardly telling and it doesn't automatically equate to a growth of educated residents in either direction.

Were the Twin Cities the size of Chicago, I imagine the population growth, educational attainment, poverty distribution, and economic growth would be very different. Don't forget that Chicagoland has almost twice the population of the entire state of Minnesota! The city of Chicago alone has >650,000 resident with a bachelor's degree or higher; Mpls has >140,000 residents with a bachelor's degree and St. Paul has >91,000. The sheer numbers alone are with Chicago.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,778,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
They are? What is Chicago doing that makes it so much smarter than the rest of the Midwest? I don't see what Chicago's population being any smarter than Minneapolis. For the last couple years the Twincities metro has gained more residents than Chicago for a reason.
Although I grew up in Minnesota and it has a lot going for it, many many smart people, etc....this point is not as meaningful as you might think. I don't think Chicago is "smarter" than the rest of the midwest per se, but it is definitely the largest center of commerce, finance, etc by far in the midwest. That is more of the point. I love the Minneapolis area and it outputs great stuff, but Chicago by raw numbers still attracts more lately.

For the record, the whole population gained thing is not true. Between 2000 and 2010, the Minneapolis MSA gained 348,502 people while the Chicago MSA gained 362,789 people. Close? Yeah but Chicago still gained more.

The census before that, between 1990 and 2000, Minneapolis MSA gained 429,972 people while the Chicago MSA gained 1,032,683 people.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,887,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Interesting in my high school about 60% of them went to Chicago the others went down south. This was in cincinnati.
Ok.

I've met many from Ohio Michigan Iowa on the Northside of the city. Very seldom do I meet a Missourian or St. Louisan or someone from Kansas City.

I know much of the brain drain that I saw was from the African American community. They are mainly going to the sun belt. I know many Black professionals who grow up here run away first chance to Atlanta Charlotte Dallas and Houston. It's amazing how different the thought process is between the different groups.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,493,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
That made me cringe and it wreaks of an inferiority complex. What's the point of bashing other cities except to distract from the fact that similar negative attributes exist here? Or having to boast about "alpha" world status unless you're unsure about it? Other cities in the Midwest are not having problems because Chicago is sucking them dry. Their problems are due to their own unique circumstances. This type of thing just sounds annoying to people outside of Chicago.
This.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 AM

36,924 posts, read 38,882,189 times
No offense, but I wouldn't consider the vast majority of people at Michigan State the smartest people in the midwest. It's a good school, but definitely not the best of the Midwest (and the best students from the Midwest don't necessarily go to a college in the Midwest even though there are some very good choices). That just seems like a really random stat for the article to cite.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No offense, but I wouldn't consider the vast majority of people at Michigan State the smartest people in the midwest. It's a good school, but definitely not the best of the Midwest (and the best students from the Midwest don't necessarily go to a college in the Midwest even though there are some very good choices). That just seems like a really random stat for the article to cite.
Michigan State shouldn't be brought up in the equation when talking about this, although many, many bright people went to or go to Michigan State believe it or not. We can give **** to the Big 10 all we want, but the fact remains that almost all Big 10 schools is ranked within the top 100 academically and 4 of them ranked in the top 50.

Chicago has very large alumni bases for Northwestern, U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, U of Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, and Notre Dame amongst others. Minneapolis gets the likes of U of Minnesota, Carleton College, and Macalaster which are all great schools.

From US News, here are some midwest national universities' rankings. I'm going to bold the ones I am pretty confident have large alumni bases in Chicago and italicize others that I feel have sizable alumni bases.
4. University of Chicago | Chicago
12. Northwestern University | Evanston, IL
14. Washington University - St. Louis | St. Louis
17. Notre Dame | South Bend, IN
29. University of Michigan | Ann Arbor, MI

37. Case Western University | Cleveland, OH
41. University of Wisconsin | Madison, WI
46. University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign | Champaign, IL
56. Ohio State University | Columbus, OH
65. Purdue University | West Lafayette, IN

68. University of Minnesota | Minneapolis, MN
72. Michigan State University | East Lansing, MI
72. University of Iowa | Iowa City, IA
83. Indiana University | Bloomington, IN
83. Marquette University | Milwaukee, WI
89. Miami University - Oxford | Oxford, OH
92. St. Louis University | St. Louis
97. University of Missouri | Columbia, MO
101. Iowa State University | Ames, IA
101. University of Nebraska | Lincoln, NE
106. Loyola University Chicago | Chicago, IL
106. University of Kansas | Lawrence, KS
113. Illinois Institute of Technology | Chicago, IL
113. University of St. Thomas | St. Paul, MN
115. University of Dayton | Dayton, OH
120. Michigan Tech | Houghton, MI
125. Missouri University of Science & Technology | Rolla, MO
131. Ohio University | Athens, OH
134. DePaul University | Chicago, IL
139. Kansas State University | Manhattan, KS
139. University of Cincinnati | Cincinnati, OH
147. University of Illinois-Chicago | Chicago, IL
156. Illinois State | Normal, IL

160. Maryville University of St. Louis | St. Louis
170. University of North Dakota | Grand Forks, ND
174. St. Mary's University of Minnesota | Winona, MN
179. Edgewood College | Madison, WI
179. Southern Illinois University | Carbondale, IL
179. University of Missouri - Kansas City | Kansas City
184. Ball State | Muncie, IN
184. Bowling Green | Bowling Green, OH
184. North Dakota State | Fargo, ND
189. Andrews University | Berrien Springs, MI
189. Ashland University | Ashland, OH
189. Northern Illinois University | DeKalb, IL
189. Western Michigan | Kalamazoo, MI
199. South Dakota State | Brookings, SD
199. University of South Dakota | Vermillion, SD

Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Young smart grads come here because its easier to meet members of the opposite sex than it is in BFE or in a decaying rust belt city. There are also many more higher paying jobs and cultural attractions that impress members of the opposite sex than in those other places. So really it's about biological urges just below the surface. There's a cruder 5 word sentence to say the same thing but yeah. This is why.
^^^
This.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 AM

I do agree with Wicket too..but there are many younger people who also enjoy the whole walkable deal..especially those who have spent enough time in Europe.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 AM

36,924 posts, read 38,882,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Michigan State shouldn't be brought up in the equation when talking about this, although many, many bright people went to or go to Michigan State believe it or not. We can give **** to the Big 10 all we want, but the fact remains that almost all Big 10 schools is ranked within the top 100 academically and 4 of them ranked in the top 50.

Chicago has very large alumni bases for Northwestern, U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, U of Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, and Notre Dame amongst others. Minneapolis gets the likes of U of Minnesota, Carleton College, and Macalaster which are all great schools.

From US News, here are some midwest national universities' rankings. I'm going to bold the ones I am pretty confident have large alumni bases in Chicago and italicize others that I feel have sizable alumni bases.
4. University of Chicago | Chicago
12. Northwestern University | Evanston, IL
14. Washington University - St. Louis | St. Louis
17. Notre Dame | South Bend, IN
29. University of Michigan | Ann Arbor, MI

37. Case Western University | Cleveland, OH
41. University of Wisconsin | Madison, WI
46. University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign | Champaign, IL
56. Ohio State University | Columbus, OH
65. Purdue University | West Lafayette, IN

68. University of Minnesota | Minneapolis, MN
72. Michigan State University | East Lansing, MI
72. University of Iowa | Iowa City, IA
83. Indiana University | Bloomington, IN
83. Marquette University | Milwaukee, WI
89. Miami University - Oxford | Oxford, OH
92. St. Louis University | St. Louis
97. University of Missouri | Columbia, MO
101. Iowa State University | Ames, IA
101. University of Nebraska | Lincoln, NE
106. Loyola University Chicago | Chicago, IL
106. University of Kansas | Lawrence, KS
113. Illinois Institute of Technology | Chicago, IL
113. University of St. Thomas | St. Paul, MN
115. University of Dayton | Dayton, OH
120. Michigan Tech | Houghton, MI
125. Missouri University of Science & Technology | Rolla, MO
131. Ohio University | Athens, OH
134. DePaul University | Chicago, IL
139. Kansas State University | Manhattan, KS
139. University of Cincinnati | Cincinnati, OH
147. University of Illinois-Chicago | Chicago, IL
156. Illinois State | Normal, IL

160. Maryville University of St. Louis | St. Louis
170. University of North Dakota | Grand Forks, ND
174. St. Mary's University of Minnesota | Winona, MN
179. Edgewood College | Madison, WI
179. Southern Illinois University | Carbondale, IL
179. University of Missouri - Kansas City | Kansas City
184. Ball State | Muncie, IN
184. Bowling Green | Bowling Green, OH
184. North Dakota State | Fargo, ND
189. Andrews University | Berrien Springs, MI
189. Ashland University | Ashland, OH
189. Northern Illinois University | DeKalb, IL
189. Western Michigan | Kalamazoo, MI
199. South Dakota State | Brookings, SD
199. University of South Dakota | Vermillion, SD
Yea, the Midwest has some very good schools. It's just that citing a random stat for one of the better (but definitely nowhere near the best) school in the Midwest doesn't make too much sense when the citing of any single school isn't much of a data point, there are several schools some of which are much better, and it does not hold that the smartest of the midwest would necessarily have to go to a midwest school.

The more general thesis that Chicago ends up soaking a lot of the talent in the Midwest makes sense to me--just thought that single stat being stated was weird and not a great way to bolster the argument.

Also, it'd be good if Chicago did more in soaking up a lot more talent around the world. It does it some, but it could do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago