Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,715,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
No.

The end.
Pilsen is next. I'm thinking Loomland-18. Watch out Soho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
No square quotes necessary. Cutesie-poo was a kind term for that kind of retardation. And he wasn't informing you of anything that you shouldn't have already known before typing that stupidity.
The whole point was to mock the whole "cutsie-poo" re-branding that developers like. That's why I specifically put in a dig at developers. Not surprisingly, he was too blinded by his own belligerence to recognize that fact. What's your excuse?

Just knowing that folks like you and him go into fits of apoplexy at the very thought is all the reason I need to keep using it.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,715,033 times
I'm thinking we need a "cutsie-poo" nickname for the area bound by Paulina, Melvina, and Lunt.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,913,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The whole point was to mock
Okay, I missed that, as did others, apparently. You seemed to be enjoying it a wee bit too much in a "I'm so clever" sort of way and using it literally (and more than once, I might add), rather than mockingly.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,473,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJP View Post
Yeah I know they were never on the same level, I'm aware of that... used to live in Chicago until 2003, then I moved to the West Coast and never really gave Chicago a second thought... now I'm wondering what happened to my old city. I remember seeing the demographics on Rogers Park in 2000 and seeing it was pretty racially and economically diverse.

Also, back in the late 90s, early 2000s, when Wicker Park and Bucktown were absolutely *on fire* hot hot hot everyone said Humboldt Park was the next neighborhood to go big big big. Has that happened?

Also, has anyone sighted hipsters in Markham or Harvey? I know they gravitate towards low prices and troubled areas. Wondering what happened down there. Also, how is Cicero doing? My dad used to live there. I heard it's very Latino now, but what else?
Rogers Park underwent a HUGE amount of gentrification during the boom, but no, it has not been completely swallowed up. And frankly, I doubt it ever will be. The main reason is, while we are dense and walkable, while we are close to the lake, while we have ample public transit, we are too far from downtown to become a solidly yuppie/hipster neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Okay, I missed that, as did others, apparently. You seemed to be enjoying it a wee bit too much in a "I'm so clever" sort of way and using it literally (and more than once, I might add), rather than mockingly.
Clever or not, it's an obviously ridiculous name for anything/anywhere. But I'll still use it in this thread in quotes because a) its context/meaning is pretty well established for this thread, and b) it's easier than typing out "the Belmont/Elston/California intersection."

Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,894,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm thinking we need a "cutsie-poo" nickname for the area bound by Paulina, Melvina, and Lunt.
There's no such area since those streets form an "H." Now you've got me losing sleep over how to adapt a classic Chicago dirty joke to that geometric configuration. I'll let you know when I've got it licked (oooooh)

Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,894,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Regarding Rogers Park and their rundown buildings with tiny apartments.

Flats Chicago renovating 7722 N Ashland, large courtyard building

BJB renovating Astor House 1246 W Pratt, large late 20's apt building

Reside on Morse redid a large four plus one at Morse and Glenwood

James Pritzker has many apt buildings he is fixing up in Rogers Park, the largest being the Farcroft.

Loyola doesn't just build new buildings, they also rehab them too, the four plus one at Northshore and Sheridan was rehabbed by them after a failed condo conversion.

Will more large buildings be rehabbed?
Slowly but surely, yes.
Aware of that and delighted to see it. It hasn't reached a critical mass but it could. I think the Pritzkers have the money to turn around Rogers Park but I'm not sure they've banded together to make the commitment. It would take some tearing down and a lot of renovation, and cojones of steel in facing "community organizers" who want to grandfather their constituents into cheap rents.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,841,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Rogers Park underwent a HUGE amount of gentrification during the boom, but no, it has not been completely swallowed up. And frankly, I doubt it ever will be. The main reason is, while we are dense and walkable, while we are close to the lake, while we have ample public transit, we are too far from downtown to become a solidly yuppie/hipster neighborhood.
I would normally agree, but explain Andersonville? They aren't even directly on the train like RP is and they aren't terribly far from RP yet it's a popular neighborhood.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,473,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I would normally agree, but explain Andersonville? They aren't even directly on the train like RP is and they aren't terribly far from RP yet it's a popular neighborhood.
Well, Andersonville is still a ways south of RP, but I see your point. Frankly, I think the gentrification of Andersonville is a by-product of the gentrification of Uptown.

For many years, no one talked about much "Andersonville," any more than they talked about "Buena Park." Both those community designations go way back, but for years, everything in that general area was referred to as "Uptown." I think Andersonville became big because a lot of gay people couldn't afford Lakeview anymore and Uptown was not yet gentrified enough to suit them. Affluent gays were really the spearhead for the gentrification of Andersonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago