Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJP View Post
Wow, so it sounds like gentrification has not taken a hold in Chicago like it has in the coastal cities... I thought the entire West Side would've been all dolled up in the decade since I've been there. Logan Square was the up-and-coming neighborhood when I left. Pilsen though, that's a change. There was not much going on there in 2003 if I recall correctly.

Rogers Park I would've bet a lot of money on for sure.
The entire west side? You're talking about a depressed area roughly the physical size and with the same populations as the entire city of Washington DC. There is a ton of gentrification that's taken place and is in the city. Don't just judge it on RP and HP out of dozens of neighborhoods. It hit a ton of other areas and was more tame in the specific ones you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
While I generally agree with your overall assessment, this is a bit of a stretch. According to the MLS there is not a single condo in either neighborhood with a $1M + price tag. I am looking at 4 unit investment properties for significantly less than $1M in Logan Square, There are only 4 or 5 neighborhoods in the city that can support $1M condos, and Logan Square and UK Village are not one of them.
I have been in houses/condos in that area that are over $1 M in these areas, or close to it. Just because there's nothing listed doesn't mean they don't exist. For example:

* Church-Occupying Single-Fam Sells for $1.185M in Logan - Sold Stuff - Curbed Chicago
* Logan Boulevard Greystone Brings the Glitz, Lists for $1.789M - New To Market - Curbed Chicago
* Logan Square Factory Loft Fit For Jumbo Jet Asks $1.3M - That's Rather Awesome - Curbed Chicago
* Lock In A 'Showcase' Existence In This Former Logan Church - That's Rather Awesome - Curbed Chicago
* Eye Catcher at the Logan/Humboldt Border Asks $1.599M - New to Market - Curbed Chicago
* Classic Eight Bedroom Logan Mansion asking $1.149M - On the Market - Curbed Chicago

* Magnificent Ukie Village Victorian Sells For 43% Below '09 Ask - Sold Stuff - Curbed Chicago

UK Village has less of it versus Logan Square, but it still exists.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I have been in houses/condos in that area that are over $1 M in these areas, or close to it. Just because there's nothing listed doesn't mean they don't exist. For example:

* Church-Occupying Single-Fam Sells for $1.185M in Logan - Sold Stuff - Curbed Chicago
* Logan Boulevard Greystone Brings the Glitz, Lists for $1.789M - New To Market - Curbed Chicago
* Logan Square Factory Loft Fit For Jumbo Jet Asks $1.3M - That's Rather Awesome - Curbed Chicago
* Lock In A 'Showcase' Existence In This Former Logan Church - That's Rather Awesome - Curbed Chicago
* Eye Catcher at the Logan/Humboldt Border Asks $1.599M - New to Market - Curbed Chicago
* Classic Eight Bedroom Logan Mansion asking $1.149M - On the Market - Curbed Chicago

* Magnificent Ukie Village Victorian Sells For 43% Below '09 Ask - Sold Stuff - Curbed Chicago

UK Village has less of it versus Logan Square, but it still exists.
Well now you are moving the goal post, your initial post you mentioned Condo's exclusively, of course there are million dollar single family homes in Logan Square and UK village.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Wow, so it sounds like gentrification has not taken a hold in Chicago like it has in the coastal cities... I thought the entire West Side would've been all dolled up in the decade since I've been there. Logan Square was the up-and-coming neighborhood when I left. Pilsen though, that's a change. There was not much going on there in 2003 if I recall correctly.

Rogers Park I would've bet a lot of money on for sure.
You do realize that the "entire West Side" constitutes an area larger than the city of San Francisco? So to expect that entire area to become "dolled up" in a decade is ridiculous.

Since you also say "has not taken a hold in Chicago like it has in the coastal cities" I'm just going to call you a troll.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well now you are moving the goal post, your initial post you mentioned Condo's exclusively, of course there are million dollar single family homes in Logan Square and UK village.
Okay, I meant SFHs and Condos...so shoot me.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I've lived in Humboldt Park since 2005, and while the neighborhood has definitely improved in a lot of ways, gentrification has progressed in a painfully slow fashion. We have a lot of hipsters in the neighborhood now, and as was mentioned earlier, nice restaurants and amenities here and there (could use more of both) but we are far from gentrified now. Is it nicer than it was when I moved here in 2005? Definitely! Is it where I thought it would be by now, after 8 years? Not at all.
To address the transportation issue, however, while it's not an easy walk to any train station, it's still walkable in decent weather (1.25 miles from my home to either the California stop or the Damen stop) I have to say that the 72 North Avenue bus line is a very dependable bus line. I usually do not wait for more than 10 minutes (Bus Tracker helps a lot with that, and it takes me less than 2 minutes to walk to my stop) and it runs from the very early morning to very late at night. I prefer trains, of course, but the bus, at least in the case of the 72 line, is pretty reliable.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Yeah I know they were never on the same level, I'm aware of that... used to live in Chicago until 2003, then I moved to the West Coast and never really gave Chicago a second thought... now I'm wondering what happened to my old city. I remember seeing the demographics on Rogers Park in 2000 and seeing it was pretty racially and economically diverse.

Also, back in the late 90s, early 2000s, when Wicker Park and Bucktown were absolutely *on fire* hot hot hot everyone said Humboldt Park was the next neighborhood to go big big big. Has that happened?

Also, has anyone sighted hipsters in Markham or Harvey? I know they gravitate towards low prices and troubled areas. Wondering what happened down there. Also, how is Cicero doing? My dad used to live there. I heard it's very Latino now, but what else?
No. And they will never gravitate toward those areas.

Its not the fact that an area is low price and troubled that make hipsters gravitate to areas. Its a COMBINATION of urban living, close to cultural amenities opportunities for music and art, and because they often are low earners, because they want to concentrate and focus on a creative career, but have trouble making ends meet in a nicer gentrified neighborhood, they look elsewhere to neighborhoods close to the urban core, with good transit, etc. where they could be close to culture, and pay cheap rent.

Harvey and Markham are almost in the boondocks, and most definitely do not meet these requirements.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
Rogers Park fully gentrified? LOL.

Even East Lakeview isn't fully gentrified. There are still SRO hotels and homeless shelters along parts of Broadway, even south of Belmont. I mean, it's 80%-90% gentrified, and reasonably safe, but if ELV still has problems, ya think Rogers Park might have an issue or two?

I was visiting this weekend, walking my kid (2 yr, going to a playground near Belmont Harbor), and got to see a knock-down, drag-out bum fight Sunday morning, as the bike race was going on in the background. At least my kid is too young to know what the hell was happening, but this is why 90% of prosperous families leave Chicago for the burbs before kindergarten.

Rogers Park near Howard is like a war zone compared to East Lakeview.
the notion that for an area to be gentrified it also has to be completely devoid of any and all issues is pretty off base.

even the nicest suburb in the world is likely to have some issues. nowhere is completely free of crime.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 PM

178 posts, read 284,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
the notion that for an area to be gentrified it also has to be completely devoid of any and all issues is pretty off base.
But the question wasn't whether a neighborhood was gentrified; it was whether a neighborhood was "fully gentrified". In other words, is Rogers Park equivalent to Astor in the Gold Coast?

That's why I thought it was a ridiculous question. Most people in Chicagoland would avoid living in Rogers Park. It's pretty rough around the Howard stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
even the nicest suburb in the world is likely to have some issues. nowhere is completely free of crime.
I think there's a big difference between "some issues" and bumfights. I doubt Winnetka has too many wild bum brawls next to playgrounds, or homeless defecating right on the main street. You'll see this in East Lakeview, but I'm guessing it isn't too common in the Napervilles of the world.

And I'm imagining Rogers Park has a lot more to worry about than homeless or gay bashers like in Lakeview. They have some degree of gang crime and entrenched drug activity, something that is pretty rare somewhere like Lakeview.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post

I think there's a big difference between "some issues" and bumfights. I doubt Winnetka has too many wild bum brawls next to playgrounds, or homeless defecating right on the main street. You'll see this in East Lakeview, but I'm guessing it isn't too common in the Napervilles of the world.

how about fatal stabbings?

Naperville stabbing: Man is held on $3 million in fatal stabbing at Naperville bar - Chicago Tribune

shootings?

Naperville police probe shooting - The Naperville Sun

or do those incidents not compare to the very serious nature of bumfights (which i might mention i've never seen in east lakeview)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago