Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think this kind of fits in here: A recent TimeOut Chicago article featured five neighborhoods that the author predicted were poised to become "the next Logan Square". They were:

- Avondale
- Humboldt Park
- Grand Avenue Corridor
- Bridgeport
- Tri-Taylor

TimeOut Chicago: The neighborhoods to buy property in now
I love the boldness: "realtors PREDICT!"

Strikes me as about as safe a bet as predicting the Cubs will once again fail to win the World Series.

As for Avondale, hopefully this will scare away some of the more pitiful speculators/vultures:

Zoom in: Avondale | Zoom in | Chicago Reader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Rogers Park is going to have trouble ever becoming fully gentrified because of the housing stock. There are an awful lot of rundown buildings full of tiny apartments. They do not attract the big renovation money. Stranger things have happened (look at west Lakeview where whole blocks have been completely redeveloped), but I wouldn't count on it.

Humboldt Park, at least east of the park, is in better shape physically although maybe not socially, but those are good conditions for renovation/redevelopment.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Humboldt Park, at least east of the park, is in better shape physically although maybe not socially, but those are good conditions for renovation/redevelopment.

...minus the single most important factor in historic Chicago gentrification patterns.

And I don't find the housing stock in Rogers Park any worse than Avondale which is particularly light on the charm IMO or the expansive gutted blocks in Bonzeville. The problem with RP is that it's isolated/far from other happening areas and the loop. If a red line north neighborhood is going to go, it will be Uptown because of it's superior location and building stock but I believe most action will remain in Logan Square for the time being.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
...minus the single most important factor in historic Chicago gentrification patterns.

And I don't find the housing stock in Rogers Park any worse than Avondale which is particularly light on the charm IMO or the expansive gutted blocks in Bonzeville. The problem with RP is that it's isolated/far from other happening areas and the loop. If a red line north neighborhood is going to go, it will be Uptown because of it's superior location and building stock but I believe most action will remain in Logan Square for the time being.
Avondale's housing stock is pretty mediocre. That's good and bad. Good, as it allows/allowed people like me to buy a fixer-upper and work on it over many years.

Bad, because when the neighborhood does eventually catch on due to land values/transportation access it means we're going to endure Teardown City which I've already lived through in West Lakeview, and it sucks.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Avondale's housing stock is pretty mediocre. That's good and bad. Good, as it allows/allowed people like me to buy a fixer-upper and work on it over many years.

Bad, because when the neighborhood does eventually catch on due to land values/transportation access it means we're going to endure Teardown City which I've already lived through in West Lakeview, and it sucks.

Yeah, it's kind of a wash...Avondale is lucky that it doesn't have the bombed out blocks Bronzeville has or the large institutional buildings Uptown has but it's definitely light on buildings with wow factor. But in the end, great buildings only get you so far, how long has the Uptown Broadway Building been essentially vacant? I'm sure Thad Wong is land banking but come on.

Totally agree with west lakeview, that environment is painfully bland and it's reflected in the dull businesses that have moved there since.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post

RP has the bones to be its own happening area and be part of a whole string of happening areas connected by Clark Street and/or the Red Line. Its distance from the Loop may be a limiting factor but having both bus and Purple Line express service and a Metra station offsets a lot of that inconvenience.

I think the housing stock in RP and Avondale are amenable to two different kinds of gentrifiers. Avondale is a lot of detached two- and three-flats and the occasional SFH with back yards that give a bit of elbow room for new/younger families whereas Rogers Park with its walkups would be more for the 20-something singles and DINKs just starting out. Besides that, people seem to forget there are also a lot of big houses on big lots in RP that draw an older, wealthier, more stabilizing crowd. Who knows what kind of shape RP would be in today without those folks keeping it moored.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
RP has the bones to be its own happening area and be part of a whole string of happening areas connected by Clark Street and/or the Red Line. Its distance from the Loop may be a limiting factor but having both bus and Purple Line express service and a Metra station offsets a lot of that inconvenience.

I think the housing stock in RP and Avondale are amenable to two different kinds of gentrifiers. Avondale is a lot of detached two- and three-flats and the occasional SFH with back yards that give a bit of elbow room for new/younger families whereas Rogers Park with its walkups would be more for the 20-something singles and DINKs just starting out. Besides that, people seem to forget there are also a lot of big houses on big lots in RP that draw an older, wealthier, more stabilizing crowd. Who knows what kind of shape RP would be in today without those folks keeping it moored.
I agree. Rogers Park has a lot of beautiful older homes in the eastern half. I think the housing stock is significantly nicer there than in Avondale.

Though, I will say my younger sister and her crowd of "hipsterish" friends have almost exclusively moved to Avondale in the past few years. Buying cutish little SFHs.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:

No doubt, you can say very similar things about some of the mini-mansions that have kept parts of Uptown afloat.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Oh yeah, I forgot another obvious asset RP has that could help it become its own happenin' destination and has helped keep it moored: a fairly large university.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot another obvious asset RP has that could help it become its own happenin' destination and has helped keep it moored: a fairly large university.

yeah, they're getting pretty aggressive with their moves along Winthrop & Kenmore into Edgewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago