Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 AM

122 posts, read 252,061 times

Advertisements

It seems Illinois/Chicago is not using every resource available to combat gangs here in Chicago. Why don't they use gang injunctions to help stop gang members from hanging out in "their" neighborhoods or maybe implement the 3 strikes law? Although I read somewhere there is no evidence that these measures decline crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 AM

9,888 posts, read 9,509,081 times
I cant figure out why they keep letting out that guy who killed that baby, he previously got arrested 40 times. WTF!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 15,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
It seems Illinois/Chicago is not using every resource available to combat gangs here in Chicago. Why don't they use gang injunctions to help stop gang members from hanging out in "their" neighborhoods or maybe implement the 3 strikes law? Although I read somewhere there is no evidence that these measures decline crime?
Research shows that 3 Strikes Laws put more small-time criminals in jail than violent offenders. There was a great article in Rolling Stone recently (link here) that discussed the problems that law has caused in California.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM

3,639 posts, read 8,280,378 times
Aclu

Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,851,086 times
I think prison should be more punitive. If criminals were looking at making little rocks out of big rocks for an extended period of time, they might consider their actions a little bit more.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM

2,423 posts, read 4,299,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLpaso View Post
seriously, prisons in America are like retirement homes for criminals. America should have a similar prison system to Siberia or some other foreign country. Who cares about the rights of prisoners anyways?
Unless they were truly innocent, which isn't always common, but happens.

But regardless, I think for armed and violent crimes the three strikes rules should apply for everyone.

I have always believed in a tooth for a tooth and eye for an eye. For example someone like Jodi Arias who stabbed that dude 29 times, slashed his throat and shot him in the head, same thing should happen to her. Knowing the violent you will commit will also happen to you if you get caught, might deter people from committing the crime. Knowing that you stab someone to death multiple times and knowing that if you are caught and put in the prison and then executed in the same manner as you killed the person, I think people would really reconsider the acts that they do.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM

9,888 posts, read 9,509,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLpaso View Post
seriously, prisons in America are like retirement homes for criminals. America should have a similar prison system to Siberia or some other foreign country. Who cares about the rights of prisoners anyways?
I heard that prisoners get privileges like tv and other things so that they are not so dangerous to the staff/guards, etc. and then theres those who feel rehabilitation of the poor widdle cwiminal is going to work, rather than punishment like breaking rocks 10 hours a day. then also like someone said the ACLU butts their noses in there and feels sowwy for the poor widdle cwiminal.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,355,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajcath View Post
Research shows that 3 Strikes Laws put more small-time criminals in jail than violent offenders. There was a great article in Rolling Stone recently (link here) that discussed the problems that law has caused in California.
Bingo...furthermore I think the law wouldn't be for Chicago, but for the state. I don't know about an institution that 85% of the supposed "rehabilitated" who are released return to it's doorsteps in handcuffs. The institution is either doing the job poorly or too well.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,909,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
Although I read somewhere there is no evidence that these measures decline crime?
I do believe you just answered your own question.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 AM

122 posts, read 252,061 times
Thanks for the link Pajcath. I figured it really doesn't do much.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago