Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM

216 posts, read 313,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Throw the knife far away, problem solved. What makes you think an attacker wouldn't play out your scenario with a cane, spray, or taser?

Problems with each: cane doesn't hurt very much, spray hurts but not as much after the initial spray, and tasers are more expensive than guns.
OK, one more time and I'll let this go, because it's not the point of the thread. When you flash a weapon, any weapon, what you are doing is "brandishing". You are signaling to your attacker that, "whatever this weapon is capable of doing, I am gonna do it to you". Maybe a drawn knife would cause 9/10 attackers to run, but that 10th guy who calls your bluff will ruin your sh*t. You plan to threaten a criminal with a weapon you're not able and willing to use, and then throw it away when he presses the attack? Seriously? Far better to swallow your pride and surrender your wallet.

If you think that those other weapons I listed are not effective, then count yourself lucky because you clearly have never had them used on you. All of them are much better fight stoppers than a knife and more importantly, they create distance between you and your attacker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 AM

58 posts, read 125,725 times
Hey OP

You've posted once here, are you even reading these responses?

Or were the replies enough to scare you off ?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 16,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Gang members tend to shoot rival gang members or people they believe could potentially be rival gang members. White people are not likely to be mistaken as such. Not only that, but a dead white person tends to bring way more media and police attention to an area, which no gang member wants.
This so many times over.

As a white guy who works with many charities (and thus spends a lot of time) in the less desirable neighborhoods of Chicago this is one of the most consistent messages I hear from the residents themselves.

That plus I'm always dressed in a nice suit. They assume I'm either a cop or the insurance salesman. Either way, I pose no threat to them and thus I don't get hassled.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
I've been hassled for being white (seemingly and obviously) by dumb kids before. Close to home and/or in areas I spend time in on the regular. Not because I'm anyone awesome like a charity worker or gang researcher. Just running errands and hangin out with friends and whatnot.

The claim that harassment for being white doesnt happen simply isn't true. But are you gonna be shot for being shot for being white? Umm. No. Lol

Last edited by urza216; 06-09-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipoman View Post
This so many times over.

As a white guy who works with many charities (and thus spends a lot of time) in the less desirable neighborhoods of Chicago this is one of the most consistent messages I hear from the residents themselves.

That plus I'm always dressed in a nice suit. They assume I'm either a cop or the insurance salesman. Either way, I pose no threat to them and thus I don't get hassled.
Oh? Cops are sure to be left alone, huh?

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist posting this when I read your reasoning here

Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg - 187 On an Undercover Cop - YouTube

Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 16,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh? Cops are sure to be left alone, huh?

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist posting this when I read your reasoning here

Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg - 187 On an Undercover Cop - YouTube
How many white folks in suits have been gunned down on the south/west side of Chicago in the past few years? There's a bunch of us down there from day to day.

I'll give you a few minutes to search for a youtube video of a dated song that does nothing to support your argument.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
How many white folks in suits have been gunned down on the south/west side of Chicago in the past few years? There's a bunch of us down there from day to day.

I'll give you a few minutes to search for a youtube video of a dated song that does nothing to support your argument.
How many cops on the south and west sides wear business suits?

How many cops on the south and west sides have been gunned down in the past few years?

Like I said, i couldn't resist. Sorry. :P

I agree that there's a silliness to songs like that. It's often white guys in suits who sign gangsta rappers to their record label.

I commend your charity work. However, I don't think people are speculating you're a cop. And since when are cops safe in Englewood, anyway? They pose no threat?

Last edited by urza216; 06-09-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In general, wear plain, neutral colors, don't wear anything fancy or carry anything that looks valuable, and you'll get plenty of stares, but are unlikely to have any serious problems. People on the street are likely to be somewhat suspicious of you at first because they won't know what your intentions are (are you a suburbanite looking to score some drugs? are you a cop? are you just a lost white boy? are you a white guy who's looking to buy cheap property and try to flip it as an investment? are you a ghetto tourist? some might even get around to wondering if you are from the University of Chicago or Depaul or UIC sociology departments?). Whites who don't appear to be affiliated and are in gang areas are often treated with deference because gangs make a lot of money off of suburban whites who can (and do) drive into the neighborhoods to buy drugs, so it's in the gangs' interest for those white people to keep coming. Only the worst-off addicts would come to an area known to be actually dangerous for white people. Plus, for better or worse, it's often assumed that police will respond with much more force if a white person is attacked in a black neighborhood. I don't know if that's true or not, but many people - both black and white - operate under that assumption.

Austin and Gage Park are the most functional of the places you've listed. They are (mostly) working neighborhoods that just have bad reputations and some gang problems.

West Garfield Park and Englewood have more in common with Detroit than they do with LA. You'll observe very serious infrastructure and social decline, many, many vacant lots. Once they figure out you're just a researcher, you may observe open drug markets. You will undoubtedly observe signs of a drug marketplace (watchers, runners, etc) even if they put transactions on hold while they figure out who you are.

That said, there is still increased risk of being mugged or assaulted as compared to a non-gang area - I'm not saying it's perfectly safe for you - but approach people with respect. Be honest with them. Politely but firmly hold your ground if it becomes necessary. Don't run unless it's a physical imperative. Know how to sweet-talk your way out of an accidental insult with people who may be operating with a violently aggressive version of what the Chinese call "face". If you can do those things, you'll be fine.

Your Australian accent will be a novelty. It'll be neutral. You will be mistaken for British by many people. Those who like it, may be so distracted by it that you'll have a hard time getting any useful info from them. Few will be offended by it, unless someone has a particularly big anti-immigrant chip on their shoulder. But it being a distraction from your desired topics of conversation will probably be the bigger issue.
This is the best, most realistic advice/information in this thread. If you're going to Austin and West Garfield Park, you will experience the open air drug markets, for sure. People will be asking you, "you good?" "blows?", "need somethin'?" and so forth. There is a huge open air market for heroin ("blows") on the west side, it's unavoidable if you're going to be walking around the area and are white.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Actually, I was scathing my chin about one particular thing you said not objecting to your entire post..

I wasn't actually trying to be an *******. But I am interested in why you think wearing a suit makes people think you're a cop. You know, because I've been reading this thread and I'm interested in what different people think... And you said something peculiar to me. Yeah, I came at you wrong but that song popped into my head, lol

Last edited by urza216; 06-09-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I've been hassled for being white (seemingly and obviously) by dumb kids before. Close to home and/or in areas I spend time in on the regular. Not because I'm anyone awesome like a charity worker or gang researcher. Just running errands and hangin out with friends and whatnot.

The claim that harassment for being white doesnt happen simply isn't true. But are you gonna be shot for being shot for being white? Umm. No. Lol
I agree.

And while I think level-headedness is the most appropriate attitude, it's absurd to pretend s**t doesn't go down on occasion. Google Christina Eilman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago