Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I agree.

And while I think level-headedness is the most appropriate attitude, it's absurd to pretend s**t doesn't go down on occasion. Google Christina Eilman.
That would indeed be absurd, which is probably why no one on this thread has made that claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I suppose blanket statements are relatively rare.

I do think people are reading a bit too much into the "if you're not part of a gang you're ok" thing though.

Was Haiya Pendelton in a gang?

The article you (I think posted) on Harper High School in the other thread doesn't really illustrate a gang problem as much as a community in absolute chaos and set on destruct. The reasons for shooting each other were often "nothing" and the "gangs" were in realty often just loosely (un)organized of youths who happened to live on the same street or on the same corner.

It's not exactly a mob hit; and it doesn't really suggest some sort of logical pattern of violence.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM

300 posts, read 639,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I suppose blanket statements are relatively rare.

I do think people are reading a bit too much into the "if you're not part of a gang you're ok" thing though.

Was Haiya Pendelton in a gang?

The article you (I think posted) on Harper High School in the other thread doesn't really illustrate a gang problem as much as a community in absolute chaos and set on destruct. The reasons for shooting each other were often "nothing" and the "gangs" were in realty often just loosely (un)organized of youths who happened to live on the same street or on the same corner.

It's not exactly a mob hit; and it doesn't really suggest some sort of logical pattern of violence.

Still, 9 out of 10 if you dont cause trouble you wont get any trouble. I have relatives who've lived in Roseland and Austin all their lives and they are still breathing and never had a incident. I grew up in the projects with 9 other sibilings and nothing much happened to us because we knew to behave and kept to ourselves.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Context is helpful to the OP --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Still, 9 out of 10 if you dont cause trouble you wont get any trouble. I have relatives who've lived in Roseland and Austin all their lives and they are still breathing and never had a incident. I grew up in the projects with 9 other sibilings and nothing much happened to us because we knew to behave and kept to ourselves.
Midwest Revival indicates that they "knew how to behave and kept to themselves". I wonder if the OP would feel the same way - they are coming here to do field research and grew up in a very different culture of Australia. I wonder if Midwest Revival's decision to live in south suburbs is an indication of the frustrations of trying to live in Chicago?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
I agree with Midwest Revival but as they say, "s*** happens".

If you're terrified of crime, move to the boonies.

If you're terrified that something race-related will happen to you, live your life in a mono-racial bubble.

Etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM

79 posts, read 140,072 times
I don't think you'll be in trouble becuase of your skin color and I personally know a few gang members in the city (not in a gang) and I asked them the same question about a black teen like me going through a mostly Latino hoods and they said most gangs here don't really care about skin and they got black ppl in Hispanic gangs and visversa there even mostly white gangs like the c notes and (cant remeber the name) but it had pope in it. I've done seen a few rap videos from chicago with both white and Hispanics in them! Most thing you should worry about is operating alone. Btw I'm glad you choose chicago to help people out of gangs you go to some Hispanic gangs in humbolt park and little village (both in the west side).

And for color IMO I don't think they care much about them in Chicagogangs.org (the site is waaay outdated by the way) go to the gangster disciple section you will see some old members wearing red when their is supposed to be blue! You'll also see a white guy in there! Lol

Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 AM

58 posts, read 125,753 times
Another day in paradise

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4474847.story

At least 12 people were shot Monday, including a young woman who died after she and four others were hit by gunfire in a shooting in the Englewood neighborhood, Chicago police said.

Shortly before 5 p.m., several people were standing in the 5700 block of South Sangamon Street when a dark colored SUV pulled up, Chicago Police Department News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said.

After exchanging words with the group standing outside, multiple shooters inside the SUV opened fire on them, striking an 18-year-old woman, a 15-year-old boy, and three men ages 18, 20 and 21, police said.

The 18-year-old, April McDaniels, was pronounced dead at 6:38 p.m. at Stroger Hospital, the Cook County medical examiner's office said. McDaniels lived on the block where the shooting occurred, according to the medical examiner's office.

Another victim taken to Stroger was in critical condition, while two others were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The 21-year-old victim was shot in the knee and taken to St. Bernard Hospital, according to the Fire Department, which said his injuries were not life-threatening.

In other incidents:

About 7:55 p.m. in the West Side's East Garfield Park neighborhood, a man was shot by a pellet gun, in the 3100 block of West Lake Street, police said, citing preliminary information.

He was taken in fair to serious condition to Stroger Hospital, according to the fire department.

In a separate shooting about 8:30 p.m. in the city’s Gage Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 5100 block of South Fairfield Avenue, police said.

The man was taken with a gunshot wound to the side to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

In a shooting on the city’s Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side, a man was struck in the head in the 1400 block of East 66th Place about 5:30 p.m., police said.
The victim, who was conscious and able to talk, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious condition, police said.

Earlier Monday, about 3:25 p.m.,, two people were shot on the North Side in the city's Uptown neighborhood, News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said.
A 20-year-old woman was shot in her leg and shoulder, while a 21-year-old man was shot in his leg, Zala said.

Both of the victims were taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where their conditions were stabilized, according to the fire department.

A 16-year-old and a man were also wounded in separate shootings on the South Side.

At 2:48 p.m. a man was shot multiple times and critically wounded in the 7000 block of South Bishop Street in the Englewood neighborhood, according to the fire department. He was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital.

A few minutes later, at 2:56 p.m. a 16-year-old was shot in the hand in the 8800 block of South Burley Avenue and taken in good condition to Advocate Trinity Hospital, according to the fire department.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Josh View Post
Another day in paradise

1 dead, 11 wounded during shootings citywide - chicagotribune.com

At least 12 people were shot Monday, including a young woman who died after she and four others were hit by gunfire in a shooting in the Englewood neighborhood, Chicago police said.

Shortly before 5 p.m., several people were standing in the 5700 block of South Sangamon Street when a dark colored SUV pulled up, Chicago Police Department News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said.

After exchanging words with the group standing outside, multiple shooters inside the SUV opened fire on them, striking an 18-year-old woman, a 15-year-old boy, and three men ages 18, 20 and 21, police said.

The 18-year-old, April McDaniels, was pronounced dead at 6:38 p.m. at Stroger Hospital, the Cook County medical examiner's office said. McDaniels lived on the block where the shooting occurred, according to the medical examiner's office.

Another victim taken to Stroger was in critical condition, while two others were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The 21-year-old victim was shot in the knee and taken to St. Bernard Hospital, according to the Fire Department, which said his injuries were not life-threatening.

In other incidents:

About 7:55 p.m. in the West Side's East Garfield Park neighborhood, a man was shot by a pellet gun, in the 3100 block of West Lake Street, police said, citing preliminary information.

He was taken in fair to serious condition to Stroger Hospital, according to the fire department.

In a separate shooting about 8:30 p.m. in the city’s Gage Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 5100 block of South Fairfield Avenue, police said.

The man was taken with a gunshot wound to the side to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

In a shooting on the city’s Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side, a man was struck in the head in the 1400 block of East 66th Place about 5:30 p.m., police said.
The victim, who was conscious and able to talk, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious condition, police said.

Earlier Monday, about 3:25 p.m.,, two people were shot on the North Side in the city's Uptown neighborhood, News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said.
A 20-year-old woman was shot in her leg and shoulder, while a 21-year-old man was shot in his leg, Zala said.

Both of the victims were taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where their conditions were stabilized, according to the fire department.

A 16-year-old and a man were also wounded in separate shootings on the South Side.

At 2:48 p.m. a man was shot multiple times and critically wounded in the 7000 block of South Bishop Street in the Englewood neighborhood, according to the fire department. He was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital.

A few minutes later, at 2:56 p.m. a 16-year-old was shot in the hand in the 8800 block of South Burley Avenue and taken in good condition to Advocate Trinity Hospital, according to the fire department.
Your point?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Your point?
Exactly. Were any of these shooting victims White?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago