Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Now the pre-processed nature of hipster driven marketing is seeing tract home builder toss up the latest in eco-friendly living with shiny faux industrial appliances, poltical sensibilities shaped more by comedy shows than any awareness of what consequences exist for the fiscally ignorant and an inability to actuall DO anything that does not include a web enabled social media interface...

A good game of stick ball would be nice to see too.
I actually know a lot of the people you are deriding here, and they're really not any different from previous post-war generations. Most of them grow out of hipster self-absorption and turn in to decent human beings, while others transition into an older baby-boomer-like self-absorption that has plagued our country for fifty years. The 80's Yuppies weren't any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,580,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
What I got out of Chet's post was that the current crop of residents couldn't have built Chicago.
That makes about as much sense as saying that the early residents of Chicago couldn't have assembled a Ford Explorer or created a new smart phone for Google.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,580,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
But I think that Lookout Kid had a point, though---some of the technological advances of late have been for fairly trivial "needs" ( apps on I-phones for hailing cabs, playing games on phones, etc). It does smack somewhat of unnecessary stuff..
Plenty of people said the same thing when the automobile, telephone, and television were created, too. They were all viewed as unnecessary toys for the idle rich at one time. You could argue that no advancement ever made by humanity is truly necessary since humans managed to live before any of them.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,657,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You could argue that no advancement ever made by humanity is truly necessary since humans managed to live before any of them.
Such an argument might be valid.

I see man advancing in fits and starts, sometimes we go forward and sometimes we lose ground. And technological advancement doesn't mean social advancement (especially as we can't agree on what social advancement should be).

Socially and artistically I think we're in an ebb now from an artistic peak in the 1950s and a social one, oh, that's harder to pin, 1975 say. There is a coarseness, vulgarity and cheap sense of irony in modern ways I find distressing, especially as these things seem popular with educated elites that are supposed to know better. Also I see apathy masquerading as tolerance.

In any event and regardless of my opinions on modern ways I think it's true that mankind is not always moving forward.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't see kids playing fast pitching in schoolyards or 16" softball in the alleys ("lineball"). This is disturbing.
Kids aren't playing ANYTHING today. The parks are largely empty, the baseball/softball fields undisturbed.

And the kids are...ah...."well-nourished".

Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
Quote:
Kids aren't playing ANYTHING today. The parks are largely empty, the baseball/softball fields undisturbed.

And the kids are...ah...."well-nourished".
My kids play baseball and soccer. The parks near my home are filled with kids. We don't have a wii or any kind of video game console.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Kids today have it so easy what with the flatness and all. Back when Chet was young, people in Chicago walked uphill to school both ways.
Chet was probably demanding that his parents go out to those newly-formed suburbs and buy a nice tract house.

"Dad, the suburbs are the place to be. And the schools will be much better, too!"

Old 06-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
That is no lie VT. Today as I idled on a shady bench in River Park, smoking a cigar and sipping iced tea after a bike ride, I marveled at the two gorgeous ball diamonds, with backstops and everything, sitting idle.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM

439 posts, read 949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That is no lie VT. Today as I idled on a shady bench in River Park, smoking a cigar and sipping iced tea after a bike ride, I marveled at the two gorgeous ball diamonds, with backstops and everything, sitting idle.
I live next a park and the basketball court is nearly always full, just about year round as long as its clear of snow and not raining too heavy.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
I live next a park and the basketball court is nearly always full, just about year round as long as its clear of snow and not raining too heavy.
Yeah, I often see kids playing basketball. But there are tennis courts in River Park with plywood wired to the fence that would be perfect for fast pitching but no kids using it. Well once in awhile adults bounce tennis balls of it, odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago