Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,652,080 times

Advertisements

I think fun people have fun wherever they live. People in the burbs do manage to amuse themselves and yes, they even get laid. And if you live near a suburban downtown like Westmont's or the Grove's you can walk (stagger?) home drunk from the tavern, just like in the city.

And there's a tavern by downtown Westmont that has Lindy's chili, good burgers and cold Old Style. If that isn't good enough I can't help you.

In any event I don't think whether a person lives in the city or burbs is a reliable indication of their character. Well maybe if they live in Oak Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I tend to think that the EXCITEMENT of city living is highly overated. Sure, it is one thing if you're right out off some Frat & Sorority filled college campus and crave more of that sort of thing to live in a "hot" area of Chicago filled with likeminded goofballs but realistically that is still a pretty small subset of folks living inside Chicago.
Let's be honest, Chet. The excitement of the city appeals to a FAR larger set of people than your "likeminded goofballs" described above. In fact, the appeal of the city is growing for many, and this is reflected in the development and market prices of real estate in desirable city neighborhoods. I've met people of many ages, regions, and socioeconomic groups attracted to nicer city neighborhoods.

But yes, city life is not for everyone.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM

690 posts, read 959,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think fun people have fun wherever they live. People in the burbs do manage to amuse themselves and yes, they even get laid. And if you live near a suburban downtown like Westmont's or the Grove's you can walk (stagger?) home drunk from the tavern, just like in the city.

And there's a tavern by downtown Westmont that has Lindy's chili, good burgers and cold Old Style. If that isn't good enough I can't help you.

In any event I don't think whether a person lives in the city or burbs is a reliable indication of their character. Well maybe if they live in Oak Park.
what does oak park indicate?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,874,680 times
One big difference is the parking. Its generally hard to park in Chicago and you are constantly aware of the parking situation. Just read the thread Belmont and Clark:booted. that does not generally happen in the suburbs.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM

690 posts, read 959,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
One big difference is the parking. Its generally hard to park in Chicago and you are constantly aware of the parking situation. Just read the thread Belmont and Clark:booted. that does not generally happen in the suburbs.
i hear ya

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,173,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The big thing is you don't have to drive in the city, but you still can. I regularly drive to places where I'm buying bulky things I need to carry home - Home Depot, Berger Brothers, Binny's, D. Wexler, Restaurant Depot, etc. But those types of places have plenty of parking. Belmont and Clark is not an area I'd ever need or want to drive to, I'd get there via CTA (unless of course I have to drive just to get into the city, which I don't).

Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
I don't have to drive to get to Belmont & Clark either -- CTA links to Metra make it easy enough to get there. If I stay out too late a cab will get me home. It is a little pricier than a cab ride to some boring part of Chicago but I don't have a ridiculously costly City of Chicago Vehicle Registration, phalanx of red light cameras, inflated prices for groceries, random aggravation of City corruption, etc.

I am not "anti-city". My sister loves her home in Lincoln Square. I enjoy visiting. I enjoy taking in a sporting event in Chicago. I like working in the Loop when the opportunity arises. I don't think the trade-offs of overly beuracratic schools which do a very poor job of educating all but a tiny percentage of students are worth the slight plus of more nightlight options for folks with school age kids and I further don't think the lifestyle even for empty nesters is justified by the huge costs of living in the most happening areas. For folks transitioning from college it is different, especially if work allows for a nice balance of social and professional contacts.

I am not really "pro suburb" either -- the sprawling 'burbs that require firing up a vehicle and waiting at a few stoplights just to get a cup of coffee or newspaper hold zero appeal for me. While I know folks that love nothing more than having enough land to raise their own boutique vegetables/ herbs/ fruits (or keep sheep to train their border collies or have hens for nest-fresh eggs...) I have spent enough time on actual farms in Michigan, Wisonsin & Iowa to know that it ain't a life for me. The challenges facing many areas that were built when the workforce was very different are as great inside parts of Chicago as they are in low-density suburbs-- energy usage, public services, economic dislocation, healthcare delivery, even infrastructure investments are needed in pretty much every part of Illinois and our corrupt system of elected office holders from both parties beholden to crooks, extorists, power brokers, media whores and 'labor' thugs are increasingly unsustainable.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM

2,081 posts, read 3,554,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't have to drive to get to Belmont & Clark either -- CTA links to Metra make it easy enough to get there. If I stay out too late a cab will get me home. It is a little pricier than a cab ride to some boring part of Chicago but I don't have a ridiculously costly City of Chicago Vehicle Registration, phalanx of red light cameras, inflated prices for groceries, random aggravation of City corruption, etc.

I am not "anti-city". My sister loves her home in Lincoln Square. I enjoy visiting. I enjoy taking in a sporting event in Chicago. I like working in the Loop when the opportunity arises. I don't think the trade-offs of overly beuracratic schools which do a very poor job of educating all but a tiny percentage of students are worth the slight plus of more nightlight options for folks with school age kids and I further don't think the lifestyle even for empty nesters is justified by the huge costs of living in the most happening areas. For folks transitioning from college it is different, especially if work allows for a nice balance of social and professional contacts.

I am not really "pro suburb" either -- the sprawling 'burbs that require firing up a vehicle and waiting at a few stoplights just to get a cup of coffee or newspaper hold zero appeal for me. While I know folks that love nothing more than having enough land to raise their own boutique vegetables/ herbs/ fruits (or keep sheep to train their border collies or have hens for nest-fresh eggs...) I have spent enough time on actual farms in Michigan, Wisonsin & Iowa to know that it ain't a life for me. The challenges facing many areas that were built when the workforce was very different are as great inside parts of Chicago as they are in low-density suburbs-- energy usage, public services, economic dislocation, healthcare delivery, even infrastructure investments are needed in pretty much every part of Illinois and our corrupt system of elected office holders from both parties beholden to crooks, extorists, power brokers, media whores and 'labor' thugs are increasingly unsustainable.
Did it ever occur to you that many people are quite happily willing to pay higher costs in order to live in a walkable, urban neighborhood?
It is pure arrogance to say that other people's choices are not "justified" when they have totally different preferences than you.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Did it ever occur to you that many people are quite happily willing to pay higher costs in order to live in a walkable, urban neighborhood?
It is pure arrogance to say that other people's choices are not "justified" when they have totally different preferences than you.
No kidding. Many people are spontaneous, or they like the life that is human interaction and not this life where you know a few of your neighbors and that's the most interaction you ever do in your normal, daily life. You don't walk from point A to point B with other people with that social interaction. You go from your house, to your car, not dealing with anybody at all, to your final point where you may deal with others, yes. Some suburbs do it right and they're usually the older ones, but the newer cookie cutter ones is the same thing. Very anti social when you think about it. If that's your thing, then by all means go for it.

Also in the end, it may be closer than you think with COL.

* City: Pretend I have a one bedroom in Lakeview for $1150/month for my place and about $70/month in transportation costs to use public transit. My area is highly walkable too and I have everything I need for daily life within a short walk.

* Suburb: Pretend I pay $800/month for a nice apartment, and I have a car so that's $50/month in insurance let's say and $150/month in gas.

That's really $1000/month in the suburbs versus $1220/month in the city. I also on the drop of a pin can just walk outside and do whatever the hell I want at any hour of the day basically (yes, there's 24 hour places near me actually, or late night ones). In most of the suburbs, not so much.

Also, it could be very well that I don't own the car I drive in the burbs. That could be a car payment each month of anywhere from say $170 to $350/month (or more if it's a nicer car). In that case, it actually ends up being more expensive in the burbs or very very close after all is said and done.

People like to say "Well the rent is higher in ____." That's not the full picture. You have more expenses every month than just what you pay in housing. The difference between the burbs and city for housing+transit sometimes isn't large enough where it's ALWAYS cheaper to live in the burbs. I have a friend who lives in Palatine in a nice place for $900/month and not too much bigger than my downtown apartment. He also needs a car there, and in the end, our housing+transportation costs every month are not that much different. I think I pay like $50/month more than him after all is said and done and this is me downtown. If I lived in Lakeview or Lincoln Square, he'd definitely be paying more than me.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,178,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Comfort, convenience and family are of course subjective to one's personal logistics.
For sure. When I lived in the burbs I found it to be the opposite of comfortable or convenient to drive an hour each way any time I wanted to see a band, hear a comedian, eat obscure ethnic food, go on dates, or be around like-minded people in a place that didn't depress the hell out of me...not to mention having to choose between driving or getting a hotel room after drinking. It's also quite a bit less convenient to have to get in the car to go to the nearest grocery store, coffee shop, restaurant, or bar rather than walking a block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago