Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3 View Post
Which neighbourhoods are more 21-28 age-group focused?
Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Bucktown, Wicker Park and River North would all fit that description. You will find more high rises in River North and walk-up and low to mid rise buildings in the others for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
"Nightlife-HEAVY" neighborhoods popular with 21-28 year-olds are:

Lincoln Park and environs (Weed Street, DePaul, Clark Street, etc.)
Lake View ("Wrigleyville", Southport Corridor, Boystown)
Bucktown/Wicker Park/Northern Ukranian Village (Six Corners, Division, etc.)
River North

The Gold Coast and Old Town may also fit the bill, but they are starting to feel like retirement communities.

There is pretty good night life in dozens of other neighborhoods as well, but in lighter doses.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
My rent limit is about $1350 (of course would love to half this if living in the suburbs).
Now that I see this, I realize you were probably talking about renting a basement apartment in a house, not an entire house. That would most commonly be called a "garden unit" in a 2-flat or 3-flat, and is doable on that rent limit in those neighborhoods. It's not doable on anywhere near half of that, though.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, where I'm from my definition of condos/downtown is high-rises, and flats are considered houses/suburbs. Obviously didn't translate well when describing Chicago.. (I have much to learn!!) :-)
To be clear, there are obviously flats and houses in the suburbs of Chicago, too. It's just that the places you mentioned happen to be well within the city, rather than out in the burbs. There is a separate forum for the suburbs if you're interested in living there, but it doesn't sound like you are.

Quote:
Which neighbourhoods are more 21-28 age-group focused?
Besides the ones that have been mentioned by others, I would consider Logan Square. It seems to be the latest hot spot for young people, not quite as hopping as those others yet, and a little further out from the Loop, but you'll get more apartment for the price there.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
cf3 cf3 started this thread

6 posts, read 16,960 times
Awesome!! You guys have helped greatly in my apartment hunt!! Thank you!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Besides the ones that have been mentioned by others, I would consider Logan Square. It seems to be the latest hot spot for young people, not quite as hopping as those others yet, and a little further out from the Loop, but you'll get more apartment for the price there.
Yeah, if you're not a clubby kind of of person, and just want a more chill night life scene there are lots of options around the city that are still popular with 20-somethings, and offer, in my opinion, superior options for socializing.

To name a few:

Logan Square
North Center (including Roscoe Village)
Lincoln Square
Uptown
Andersonville
South Loop

Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yeah, if you're not a clubby kind of of person, and just want a more chill night life scene there are lots of options around the city that are still popular with 20-somethings, and offer, in my opinion, superior options for socializing.

To name a few:

Logan Square
North Center (including Roscoe Village)
Lincoln Square
Uptown
Andersonville
South Loop
I wouldn't put Logan Square in the category of "chill" anymore, which is why I mentioned it specifically. It has become pretty hopping.

For chill, I agree with the others you listed and would add Rogers Park, Edgewater, West Loop, University Village / Little Italy, Pilsen, Bridgeport, and Hyde Park off the top of my head.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I wouldn't put Logan Square in the category of "chill" anymore, which is why I mentioned it specifically. It has become pretty hopping.
This is a big change over the past five years or so. I guess as Old Town and the Gold Coast transition to tourist/retirement communities, there is room for more action elsewhere!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 936 times
Thanks for posting this question and for everyones input.

I'm basically an Australian version of you and I'm moving in September for work, so it has been very helpful to work out which neighbourhood to live in.

The only difference is I'm considering moving into a share house (I figure its a good way to make friends quickly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago