Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 PM

87 posts, read 309,101 times

Advertisements

Which team is, for the most part, the undisputed "King" in Chicago? I know that the answer may not universally be the same for everyone, but I have always wondered how this sentence would be filled in.

"Not everyone in Chicago may follow or root for the ____, _____, ____ or ____, but almost everyone in Chicago, even if they don't follow sports that much, roots for the _____!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
It's the Bears... easily. The fan base is just so huge. I'm not a Bears fan though. The Bulls and Blackhawks even as big as they aren't as big. Cubs would be the 2nd team after the Bears. White Sox would be the 5th. Keep in mind, I'm just going by how big the fan bases are.

So it would be "Not everyone in Chicago may follow or root for the Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs or Sox, but almost everyone in Chicago, even if they don't follow sports that much, roots for the Bears!"

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM

64 posts, read 96,875 times
It's undoubtedly the Bears and I don't think that will ever change

This is a football town.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
^^ It may not change in the long term but I think it changed at least for a while during the Bulls Dynasty of the '90s. When the Bulls are doing well they have every bit of the city's attention as the Bears do.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM

64 posts, read 96,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ It may not change in the long term but I think it changed at least for a while during the Bulls Dynasty of the '90s. When the Bulls are doing well they have every bit of the city's attention as the Bears do.
True. The Bulls were the "kings" of Chicago sports, and maybe world-wide for that matter, during the 1990s.

They slipped post-Jordan, Rodman, and Pippen, but have surged and are the city's second team at the moment.

hell, even when the Bulls were the laughing stock of the NBA, they managed to pack a full house at the UC almost every game.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:40 PM

241 posts, read 465,565 times
Kind of a random but related question: I'm a die hard NY sports fan who lives in FL (one of the worst sports states in the country and its a disgrace) who will likely be moving to Chicago. I love sports and respect fans who have loyal followings and good sports cities (Chicago, Boston, etc.), but I will never be a Bears, Cubs, or Bulls fan. I'm too ingrained in NY sports, besides Hockey, in which I'd be willing to adopt the Blackhawks as I never got into hockey.

Are there sports bars and what not around for NY sports? I know its strange for that kinda thing in another big sports city, but I just know sometimes with the NY sports teams there is a market for it because of the large following.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Kind of a random but related question: I'm a die hard NY sports fan who lives in FL (one of the worst sports states in the country and its a disgrace) who will likely be moving to Chicago. I love sports and respect fans who have loyal followings and good sports cities (Chicago, Boston, etc.), but I will never be a Bears, Cubs, or Bulls fan. I'm too ingrained in NY sports, besides Hockey, in which I'd be willing to adopt the Blackhawks as I never got into hockey.

Are there sports bars and what not around for NY sports? I know its strange for that kinda thing in another big sports city, but I just know sometimes with the NY sports teams there is a market for it because of the large following.
Here's one in Lincoln Park.

Racine Plumbing Bar and Grill

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM

285 posts, read 385,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DxC_17 View Post
True. The Bulls were the "kings" of Chicago sports, and maybe world-wide for that matter, during the 1990s.

They slipped post-Jordan, Rodman, and Pippen, but have surged and are the city's second team at the moment.

hell, even when the Bulls were the laughing stock of the NBA, they managed to pack a full house at the UC almost every game.
Bears are the king, no doubt. But the Blackhawks, currently, are number two. In my opinion, since 2010, the Bulls' playoff coverage/buzz/hype/etc has been way less comparatively to what the Blackhawks have garnered.

I think the Bears are the only team (and to a lesser extent, the Cubs) that will always have a buzz about them, no matter how miserable they are. Bulls, Hawks & Sox have their groups of die-hard supporters, but most fans are casual in that when the team sucks, they may still go to a game or two, but the constant social media posts, water cooler talk, and merchandise purchases tapers off.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM

144 posts, read 271,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Bears are the king, no doubt. But the Blackhawks, currently, are number two. In my opinion, since 2010, the Bulls' playoff coverage/buzz/hype/etc has been way less comparatively to what the Blackhawks have garnered.

I think the Bears are the only team (and to a lesser extent, the Cubs) that will always have a buzz about them, no matter how miserable they are. Bulls, Hawks & Sox have their groups of die-hard supporters, but most fans are casual in that when the team sucks, they may still go to a game or two, but the constant social media posts, water cooler talk, and merchandise purchases tapers off.
I would say this is a very accurate take. The Bears will always be the most popular team in this town, regardless of how bad they suck, or whatever else is going on in the city. I would say even during the Jordan era, the Bears were still the more popular team to the majority of Chicagoans.

You could make the argument that the Cubs are #2 based on the fact that no matter how much they suck, they will still draw at least 30K every game, and they still make headlines that most Chicago sports fans are well aware of. I think the Hawks are #2 right now, but I would agree with the sentiment that once the Hawks current run fades out, so will the bandwagoness, so to speak, though I don't think you'll see things get as bad as they were in the early 2000s when the UC was half-full at best, and the local sports media didn't even report on Hawks scores on a day to day basis.

The Bulls' support waves are more or less the same as the Hawks, though the Bulls will still sellout the UC even when they suck. Not sure the Hawks will do the same if/when they become a noncontender in the next 20 years or so.

It pains me to say, that even as a Sox fan, the only way the Sox are truly relevant to most people in this city is if they're in the playoffs. The Sox have a loyal, but small core. I'd say locally, the Sox probably have about as many fairweather fans as the Cubs do, but the Sox just don't get the tourists coming to their Park the way the Cubs do. The Cubs have a much larger national following.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post

Im from NY and a diehard NY sports fan as well, but contrary to you, the Rangers are my main team easily. I do respect other cities passion no matter how much I despise their teams (Philly).

I really have nothing against Chicago hockey wise though, so ive kind of adopted the Hawks as my WC team.

I dunno about any NY bars in Chicago though. I would love to start one. I wanna move to Chicago soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago