Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM

73 posts, read 109,169 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I am going to be interning downtown this summer and am trying to finalize a place to live (relatively soon).

I am having trouble deciding which would suit me best.

These are the places Im looking at if anyone knows anything about them
777 S State St
1111 N Dearborn St
1133 N Dearborn St

^all addresses are within 2 mi of work (Willis Tower)

About me:
- like to live a fast-paced, upbeat lifestyle (work hard play hard)
- 22 yo male
- enjoy meeting new people (around my age)
- workout-aholic

Concerns:
- Gold coast is an older crowd (avg age 40?) but is a nicer area?
- is there things to do after 5pm in these areas? after 10pm?
- I read somewhere living in the loop is not the best idea
- which area is more "progressive" / upbeat ?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
between the two, Gold Coast

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,860,948 times
Gold Coast would be much better. River North is just south where there is lots going on.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM

216 posts, read 313,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy91 View Post
- like to live a fast-paced, upbeat lifestyle (work hard play hard)
- 22 yo male
- enjoy meeting new people (around my age)
- workout-aholic
Neither are good for what you want. The Loop is filled with office workers during the day and turns into a ghost town at night. Gold Coast is very pretty neighborhood with some lively nightlife, but the crowd skews older.

This is a cliched and unoriginal suggestion but my friends who fit your demographic are happy in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wicker Park.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
I fell in love with Chicago when I was an intern renting a room that had no air conditioning or ceiling fans (and it was the summer of 1995, the deadliest heat wave in a century) in a building that backed up to Metra tracks on a block with a roaming wild skunk, from a slightly crazy recently divorced guy in Rogers Park, who rented a third room to a guy who stole my laptop (it was insured, though), and where my favorite place for dinner frequently had cockroaches on the walls.

Writing it down like that makes it sounds absolutely horrible, but it was an absolutely magical summer and really was when I fell in love with this city and the people in it.

In other words, where you live doesn't matter that much compared to what you make of it. Find a horrible but horribly cheap place to live, buy cheap food, see good music, talk to girls, talk to boys, talk to bartenders, talk to business owners, travel to parts of the city people say are dangerous if there's something that you want to see there. And work your ass off at the internship. Do that and you'll end up learning a helluva lot more than you would just sticking to the pretty things.

And, lest you think that experience ruined my life, I own a home in River North, have a well-paying, secure job, am partnered to a wonderfully talented musician who also has a doctorate, I have a masters of my own from a famous Boston-area university, and have a deep love and knowledge of this city despite having grown up on the West Coast. Sometimes paying for the "best" in your early years just means excluding a lot of other stuff and missing out on some awesome opportunities.

Last edited by emathias; 06-12-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Yeah a lot of people seem to suggest that for my demographic. I have a good friend in Lincoln park (steal 500$/mo/person 2bdr). I guess I'm just concerned about transportation if I live out there. Gold Coast/loop, I could just walk and a cheap cab in inclimate weather. If Gold Coast is more lively/social, I think I'd be inclined more towards that atmosphere, especially if all the action is just south. I have very limited knowledge on the real estate downtown. I just went with what I found and the 777 s state loop apt was suggested to me by my employer. I don't have to stay where I am. I mean I have feet, I can walk. If there are more lively nearby neighborhoods, such as river north to Gold Coast, that's definitely fine by me. Remember I'm only there for the summer so I want to get the most of it to a point where I have enough experience to decide whether or not I would want to live there after college.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I fell in love with Chicago when I was an intern renting a room that had no air conditioning or ceiling fans (and it was the summer of 1995, the deadliest heat wave in a century) in a building that backed up to Metra tracks on a block with a roaming wild skunk, from a slightly crazy recently divorced guy in Rogers Park, who rented a third room to a guy who stole my laptop, and where my favorite place for dinner frequently had cockroaches on the walls.

Writing it down like that makes it sounds absolutely horrible, but it was an absolutely magical summer and really was when I fell in love with this city and the people in it.

In other words, where you live doesn't matter that much compared to what you make of it.
That's awesome. And I completely agree. It's what you make of it.

I understand that either place may not have the exact action I'm looking for in itself, but I view the apt as just a place to sleep which happens to be in the middle of a giant playground called chicago. So whichever is closer to the fun im lookng for is the preferable option.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:03 PM

The loop being dead in the after hours is very unappealable to me though :/

Old 06-12-2013, 04:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Go with the South Loop option. There are tons of young people living in that "2 East 8th street" building, as well as the two buildings at 12th (Roosevelt) and Michigan. Lots of college kids at the Robert Morris and Depaul downtown campuses. And you are extremely close to the lakefront, with super easy access. So lots of opportunities to meet up with other fitness-oriented people.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
I live in the Gold Coast and the average age depends on where you go. In reality in many areas, the average age is closer to say 30+, and in some small areas it might even be more like 24+. There are a number of people in their 20s in my building actually in the Gold Coast and my friend who lives at 1100 N Dearborn has a number too.

Between the two I would choose Gold Coast, easily. I have friends who live right near the two places you are looking at and there are some people in their 20s in that immediate area. It's really a mix in the area now but people are usually 24+, but anybody thinks Gold Coast is just a bunch of older people doesn't really know anything about the area.

A question would be: why not other areas? For someone of your age, an area like Lincoln Park would be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago