U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

241 posts, read 433,519 times

Advertisements

Most of you know my deal by now I think, but heres the quick cliffs for those who don't before I get to the point of this thread:

1. Soon to be college grad
2. Equal job opportunity locked up in Chicago and hometown in FL
3. Deciding between offers, worried about leaving friends and family but leaning towards Chicago

Anyway, I'm looking into summer housing for my internship in Chicago, assuming I take it. The problem is, it'll only be for 8 weeks, and the dates are weird, like mid June to mid August. Obviously its a little early to start looking for a year from now (I'm very much so an overthinker and planner), but it seems hard to find sublets for such a short time, especially with weird dates.

I found this:
Chicago Summer Housing - Chicago Apartment Finders
https://www.chicagoapartmentfinders....and-rates.aspx

It is clearly aimed specifically for students that have summer internships because they do rates by the week instead of month. I gotta assume for that reason, it's pretty over priced, but the thing is it would be very convenient to not have to try to luck into a sublet. Plus they are completely furnished which is a big plus, as furnishing a place for 8 weeks would suck. I know the loop isn't the coolest area though. It could be a big plus if I work in the loop, but I wont know that for a while. The job is about 90% at the client site, which could be anywhere from the loop to the suburbs, but probably moreso in the city I hope.

What do you guys think of this housing option? For a student like me who will only be there for 8 weeks, is there a better option?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM

40 posts, read 76,733 times
I toured this building during college visits. It is used as a dorm by multiple colleges, although I believe some floors are regular rentals. I remember it being very nice and in a good location for what we were looking for, which was proximity to the school. There was also a lot of shopping and dining nearby. It is not in the hot area for nightlife, if that is what you are looking for, but train stations are nearby. I have also talked to apartment finders when looking for a permanent place to live. While they didn't find a place that worked out for us, I liked them and found them easy to work with.

The other option that I can think of would be extended stay type hotels, but that would probably put you in the suburbs.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks. Seems like its a decent area. And you're right, it would appear extended hotel stay would be the only other option but a not very practical one.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM

40 posts, read 76,733 times
The other option that I thought of later is something like vrbo. I've used it for stays up to a week in other cities. You might find something in Chicago that would be a decent deal for 8 weeks. It would also come fully furnished with all dishes, linens, etc.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2013 View Post
The other option that I thought of later is something like vrbo. I've used it for stays up to a week in other cities. You might find something in Chicago that would be a decent deal for 8 weeks. It would also come fully furnished with all dishes, linens, etc.
I did a quick scan and they all seem rather expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago