Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNick View Post
The point is that as soon as the projects were torn down, crime dramatically increased in the southern suburbs and school test scores declined as well.
That wasn't just Cabrini Green. There were four other housing projects between late 90s/2000-2011 that were torn down in Chicago.

* Robert Taylor Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Ida B. Wells Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Stateway Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Rockwell Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM

46 posts, read 71,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That wasn't just Cabrini Green. There were four other housing projects between late 90s/2000-2011 that were torn down in Chicago.

* Robert Taylor Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Ida B. Wells Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Stateway Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Rockwell Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We would've been better off if they left the projects alone.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNick View Post
We would've been better off if they left the projects alone.
Possibly. It did spread some crime into some areas that were fairly safe before

Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM

46 posts, read 71,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Possibly. It did spread some crime into some areas that were fairly safe before
Indeed.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,239,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
So are they building cases or what? What do they mean they can't do a lot about it? These people are committing real crimes yet they want to pull you over for "suspecting" you did something
I don't know. I see the cops there. I stopped and talked to a kid who had just came out onto Chicago Avenue about a month ago and he said that's how it was.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,239,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
It was still fully dangerous 10 years ago in 2003? I thought the danger around Cabrini Green pretty much came to a screeching halt around 1999 or 2000. Or at the very latest, when the towers were vacated. Haven't the main towers been gone quite a while? When was the last year that the Towers were still up and Cabrini Green was still very much in its' prime as being the most dangerous projects?
I don't really know the answer to your last question but it is easily researchable on the web. There were still a few towers up until a few years ago, I think the last one on Division and Halsted was demolished in 2011 and had been mostly though not fully unoccupied for a while.

In terms of the danger, I never said it was "fully dangerous" in 03 or anything close to it.

And I guess everything is relative so in one sense, from it's peak, yes, it probably was somewhat of a "screeching halt" by the time the towers came down.

Let me put it this way, you did not get people who didn't live there walking down Oak through there back toward downtown then and I would imagine you still don't get too many today.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,663,562 times
Quote:
So are they building cases or what? What do they mean they can't do a lot about it? These people are committing real crimes yet they want to pull you over for "suspecting" you did something
Think about it, do you think the cops want to mess with some guy who sells drugs in the projects, has nothing to lose, and probably a gun, or shakedown some 'customers' who aren't going to do anything to them? Hell, the cops may even just shake them down for drugs, let them go, and keep the stuff for themselves.

They're not 'building' a case, they know exactly what is going on and who it is. It's not worth it for them to go after it. Or they're working an 'agreement.'

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,346,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Think about it, do you think the cops want to mess with some guy who sells drugs in the projects, has nothing to lose, and probably a gun, or shakedown some 'customers' who aren't going to do anything to them? Hell, the cops may even just shake them down for drugs, let them go, and keep the stuff for themselves.

They're not 'building' a case, they know exactly what is going on and who it is. It's not worth it for them to go after it. Or they're working an 'agreement.'
yeah I know they arent "building" a case. My point is what the hell do you need police for if they arent going to do anything. We spend plenty of tax dollars for narcs and task forces so they can sit outside of the building and harass the folk who arent selling drugs.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,663,562 times
Quote:
yeah I know they arent "building" a case. My point is what the hell do you need police for if they arent going to do anything. We spend plenty of tax dollars for narcs and task forces so they can sit outside of the building and harass the folk who arent selling drugs.
They're going after the people with money and resources. If they can get some fines out of you, all the better.

Why mess with a dude in the projects? He has no money and nothing to lose and is dangerous. Chances are he'll just get off anyway. This isn't the first year the CPD has dealt with this...otherwise they'd have cleaned it up long ago.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,346,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
They're going after the people with money and resources. If they can get some fines out of you, all the better.
hmm isn't 70-80% of the people in jail for petty drug crimes anyway? Regardless if that person has nothing to lose he/she is still a danger to the community. Lets not act as if police are doing the community a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago