Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,534 times

Advertisements

The police are doing themselves a favor. Their commanders tell them they're a walking lawsuit.

You must be from some small podunk town. All of you small town people know exactly how to fix all the problems that ail the big city.

You make it seem like the CPD is brand new in town. Or that they're marshmallows and let people walk all over them.

Long story short is they're doing what they can because there's politics, law, and money involved. And Chicago isn't exactly squeaky clean all throughout city hall. In other words, it's not as simple as you think, otherwise they'd do it.

If you want to go on a personal crusade to reform the city and all of it's bureaucracy, go for it man. I lived there my whole life and just learned to accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
You must be from some small podunk town. All of you small town people know exactly how to fix all the problems that ail the big city.
Well, I am. The biggest city I have ever lived in was Phoenix, AZ.

Quote:
You make it seem like the CPD is brand new in town. Or that they're marshmallows and let people walk all over them.
No, they're just as ineffective as the corrupt police in small towns, too.

Quote:
Long story short is they're doing what they can because there's politics, law, and money involved. And Chicago isn't exactly squeaky clean all throughout city hall. In other words, it's not as simple as you think, otherwise they'd do it.
There's a certain measure of truth to that.

Quote:
If you want to go on a personal crusade to reform the city and all of it's bureaucracy, go for it man. I lived there my whole life and just learned to accept it.
That "accepting it" is what they all did in the quote above this one. In other words, they're doing the exact same thing you're doing. They're just accepting the crime, violence, and corruption, just like you are, and thus, it is not even possible to change it.

They just get paid to wear different clothes, have a gun, and make the appearance of doing their stated job, and you actually have to accomplish your job, or you get fired.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,051 times
Quote:
The police are doing themselves a favor. Their commanders tell them they're a walking lawsuit.

Born and raised Chicagoan take that BS somewhere else dude.....I know who the CPD are and I know what they dont do. You can make excuses all you want. Oh i see you've moved San Francisco is it?

Last edited by noid_1985; 06-15-2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Well, I am. The biggest city I have ever lived in was Phoenix, AZ.
HA! I was just thinking of a guy from there as I wrote this. He was telling me about the sheriff there who locked guys up left and right. I'd love to see him come and 'clean up' Chicago.

Quote:
No, they're just as ineffective as the corrupt police in small towns, too.
It's not just officer 'Bob Smith' taking a bribe. There's political and legal pressure on the cops and their superiors are directing them to an extent. Like 'if they aren't shooting anyone, leave it alone.'[/quote]

Quote:
There's a certain measure of truth to that.
Talk to a few. They're not exactly what I'd call p*****s. (see suburban cops) They'll tell you stores of frustration and how their hands are tied, won't get enough backup, etc, etc. It all distills down to them basically saying "Screw it, if no one else is going to care, why should I? I'm going to clock out at regular time because no good deed goes unpunished.'

Quote:
That "accepting it" is what they all did in the quote above this one. In other words, they're doing the exact same thing you're doing. They're just accepting the crime, violence, and corruption, just like you are, and thus, it is not even possible to change it.

They just get paid to wear different clothes, have a gun, and make the appearance of doing their stated job, and you actually have to accomplish your job, or you get fired.
Yeah, like I said above, it's complicated. You small town folk think one guy can change everything. Maybe down there, but if you were to start stirring things up, getting channel 5 out there, Jesse Jackson marching, they Mayor and Alderman calling your Sergeant on the phone...

Okay cowboy, you should sign up for the CPD. You're full of all kinds of ideas, you can show these guys how it's done, clean up the streets yourself, and not fall into the trap of 'acceptance' as you so claim. You've got this all figured out. Well, step up the the plate hot shot, and show us all how it's done...
And think about this for a second, with a city of 3 million people, and police force of over 10,000, do you really think none of these guys on the force ever came on with ambitions and fire to clean up the city and then see the realities of the big city make that difficult if not impossible?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Born a raised Chicagoan take that BS somewhere else dude.....I know who the CPD are and I know what they dont do. You can make excuses all you want.
You sound like politician material. Ever think of running for office? You could really clean that small podunk Chicago town up with your big-ideas and big-city thinking.

Quote:
Oh i see you've moved San Francisco is it?
Yes, I couldn't hack it there.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,051 times
Quote:
You sound like politician material. Ever think of running for office? You could really clean that small podunk Chicago town up with your big-ideas and big-city thinking.
Thank you sir...Hopefully when I run for office you'll come back to Chicago and support me with your vote ....I like the sound of that Noid_1985 for mayor

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM

87 posts, read 308,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I don't really know the answer to your last question but it is easily researchable on the web. There were still a few towers up until a few years ago, I think the last one on Division and Halsted was demolished in 2011 and had been mostly though not fully unoccupied for a while.

In terms of the danger, I never said it was "fully dangerous" in 03 or anything close to it.

And I guess everything is relative so in one sense, from it's peak, yes, it probably was somewhat of a "screeching halt" by the time the towers came down.

Let me put it this way, you did not get people who didn't live there walking down Oak through there back toward downtown then and I would imagine you still don't get too many today.
Yeah, but if I, for no reason at all, decided to just drive past or walk past the remaining "row houses" there nowadays on a Saturday evening, or even in broad daylight, are the remaining residents really going to look at me like I've got a third eye and a look on their face that says "'the hell you doin' in our neighborhood, boy?!". Back in 1990, absolutely. Now, probably not so much.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:36 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It was Siciilian until the late 40s.

That area was Sicilian. It only became black with the projects.
I don't mean to be nit-picky but the area had a sizable and growing African-American population before the Cabrini homes were built. I think we're just on different sides of the half-empty half-full debate. The neighborhood is unusual for Chicago because it didn't "flip" rapidly and it was mixed white/black for a few decades as its black population grew. They didn't move there for the projects, they lived in the regular housing that was there, and a few black families still do. Watch Coolie High.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM

190 posts, read 315,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNick View Post
We would've been better off if they left the projects alone.
whose "we"?

certainly not the kids who grew up in the horrific atmosphere of the housing projects.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
whose "we"?

certainly not the kids who grew up in the horrific atmosphere of the housing projects.

The 'we' they're referring to is suburbanites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago