U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM

15,320 posts, read 21,695,977 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever use the site Spotted By Locals? It started out in Europe and is now in North America. The point is that each city has a handful of local spotters and they give tips about local places for travelers who want to experience the city as a local.

I was in contact with the owners, and I submitted an application for Chicago for myself and the owners told me they get cities when they have enough spotters. Chicago does not have this yet, but Boston, LA, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, and DC do. Why not Chicago? I personally love this idea and I'm putting it out there that some of you on this site should sign up for Chicago so we can have a presence on it. The site is very popular with good travelers.

If the mods think this is some plug, then sorry for that. I am just trying to get Chicago on a good site. If this is against then rules, then please delete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,335,420 times
I've heard about SBL before, at the time it was only in SF and NYC. Seems to have really grown now though.

You're one of the most informative posters on this site about Chicago, I think you'd make a great spotter for them. I for one am too new to Chicago -- I still feel like I have a lot to learn, but I really hope Chicago does get a SBL column. I know how sites like these can be helpful when I'm traveling to other cities. Good luck and I hope you do get a spot on there once Chicago gets their SBL column.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I've heard about SBL before, at the time it was only in SF and NYC. Seems to have really grown now though.

You're one of the most informative posters on this site about Chicago, I think you'd make a great spotter for them. I for one am too new to Chicago -- I still feel like I have a lot to learn, but I really hope Chicago does get a SBL column. I know how sites like these can be helpful when I'm traveling to other cities. Good luck and I hope you do get a spot on there once Chicago gets their SBL column.
Nice, thanks. Yeah I really wish it would get an area. The hilarious thing is last year I contacted the owner saying they should really expand to North America to cities like NYC, Toronto, Mexico City, Chicago, LA, etc. He told me they weren't going to do it, but maybe in the future. 3 months later I was reading the news online and ran across an article saying how they expanded. I was like WTF man. I contacted him again and he told me to submit an application and if enough people do it for Chicago, because they want Chicago, that they'd do it. Apparently not enough people have submitted for Chicago..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,351,869 times
So what is in it for the "spotters"?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
So what is in it for the "spotters"?
Besides sharing a love for their city and good non tourist places? No idea. If I can give out good advice to some people, I'd rather do that instead of nothing. I like to help when I can..

Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,351,869 times
Default We have a lot in common!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Besides sharing a love for their city and good non tourist places? No idea. If I can give out good advice to some people, I'd rather do that instead of nothing. I like to help when I can..

Wonder if there is an "accuracy meter"???

Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wonder if there is an "accuracy meter"???
LOL. I think "good" is subjective. It's not all about food, drink, etc though. I used it last time I went to Istanbul a few months ago (although I had already been to Istanbul) and found some good stuff. I found places with random art and just other random things. There was actually a weird staircase on the site and I found it (not too far from where I was staying). Very art type of thing.

You could really write about anything. You could tell people about the Mexican American Museum of Art in Pilsen for example, or maybe where to find good Chicago style pizza that's not touristy (i.e. Pequod's). You can sort things by category too and I think the spotters have to actually be good, concise writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: