Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago - Land of the Fatties?
Yes, it seems more than an average amount of people here are overweight to obese compared to other cities I've lived and visited 9 31.03%
No, there are just as many, if not more fit and health-conscious people here along with the usual amount of obese people found in any city 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times

Advertisements

It's somewhere in the average range for the U.S. It's not going to make anyone's list of the 10 healthiest cities like places in Colorado or California, but it's not going to make anyone's list of the 10 most obese cities like places in the South and elsewhere in the Midwest, either.

Of course average range for U.S. = very fat compared to the rest of the world or to the U.S. of a few decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Lack of access to grocery stores and healthy eating options (food deserts) contribute to obesity in poor areas of the city.
Well, I live in a North Side neighborhood that is anything but a food desert, and I see plenty of obesity here too.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Of course average range for U.S. = very fat compared to the rest of the world or to the U.S. of a few decades ago.
This occurs to me nowadays when I watch old TV sitcom reruns and realize that many of the characters I used to think of as "fat" -- like Archie Bunker or Louise Jefferson -- don't seem all that big to me anymore.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
When I watch TV shows that showcase the BIGGEST humungous sandwiches, "Man Vs Food" or even some of the featured tv shows like Chicago's Best, they often show these too effen huge sandwiches, and loads of food on a plate. It makes me sick. Add to that chicago deep dish pizza, vs the skinny NY style (which they have in some places); so coming to chicago you can get fat if you indulge in it.

We have a lakefront where that promotes activity, so that keeps it in check.

But I've traveled elsewhere and they have their own fattening food choices, like down south where they enjoy everything fried, and smothered with gravy.

Still I dont think Chicago is the #1 place with fattest people.

Oh i forgot to mention, all the food piled high on buffets, where a lot gets wasted, but "free food" and "all you can eat" is really tempting to people who love to eat.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 AM

178 posts, read 284,200 times
It depends on the neighborhood, obviously.

Chicago is a fatter-than-average city and metropolitan area (compared to the other major U.S. metropolitan areas) and is definitely fatter than, say, SF, LA, NYC, or Boston, but the very affluent parts will obviously be mostly healthy, slim people.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM

58 posts, read 125,742 times
The men are fatter than the women here it seems

by and large at least

Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
Chicago is a fatter-than-average city and metropolitan area (compared to the other major U.S. metropolitan areas)
Actually, the obesity rate across all U.S. metro areas of 1 million or more is 24.7% and the rate for Chicago's metro area is 24.2%. I'd say that makes us pretty average.

U.S. City Wellbeing Tracking

It might depend on your definition of "major" metro area, i.e. maybe if you bumped it up to 2 mil or 3 mil instead of 1 mil Chicago would be above average, but I'd have to see a source for that. Certainly if you bumped it up to 9 mil we would be, because then we'd only be compared against NY and LA.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 AM

249 posts, read 443,546 times
Interesting, the poll is slowly starting to shift. It's at 1/3 say "Fat" and 2/3 say "F dat"

Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Interesting, the poll is slowly starting to shift. It's at 1/3 say "Fat" and 2/3 say "F dat"
So you do you think an internet poll with 18 votes is more relevant than the studies posted?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM

249 posts, read 443,546 times
I think people's personal perspectives are equally as relevant.

You do not get a feel for the perception dynamic through a study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: