U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago - Land of the Fatties?
Yes, it seems more than an average amount of people here are overweight to obese compared to other cities I've lived and visited 9 31.03%
No, there are just as many, if not more fit and health-conscious people here along with the usual amount of obese people found in any city 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM

249 posts, read 396,819 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm looking to find a new metro to relocate a personal training business, and Chicago recently came on my radar.

Just was curious to hear from residents, and garner some opinions as to whether they would say Chicago currently has a discernible obesity problem and whether or not the majority of the people generally do not practice clean eating and consistent exercise habits.

Thanks guys!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,696,162 times
I think it depends on where you are. I think this goes for all metro areas in the US, but obesity is definitely a problem in many areas. What i've noticed in Chicago, like other areas is "depends on where you are." There are areas where the people are quite heavy but there's other areas where most people seem to be in pretty good shape.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,285,318 times
Default Read a few threads...

People that like sandwichs mounded with beef served with a side of fried potatoes that could feed five, pizza with enough cheese to put a dairy herd into overtime, craft beers, food trucks with all manner of sweet / salty / fatty offerings and super short distances between things are NOT the kind of people that are going to lean...

"Clean eating" means you have enough napkins not to leave grease on your shirt in these parts.

There are probably more "personal trainers" in these parts starving for business and dreaming of opening some kind of business than in any other city of its size...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Mar - Good post, and I do agree, but what I'm saying is the -overall-. Of course the neighborhoods and other variables will dictate a bit, but take a place like Oklahoma City for example that definitely has a real lean on unhealthy and overweight Vs. a place like San Fran that clearly has more folks eating frugally and doing the biz when it comes to daily exercise. I myself can usually spot a trend in a city one way or another, but then this is my profession and I have a much keener eye. I will concede it's harder to say this when it comes to a mega-metropolis like NYC, LA or Chi-town.

Case in point: When I'm on Hollywood Blvd, I see extremely slender, active people(sans the easily spottable tourists), but then the other week I went to the city zoo here in Griffith Park, and my stars, nearly everyone was super-sized to the point of ridiculousness.

Chet, I got a dam good belly laugh at the way you described the populace of Chicago, and while it seemed to bode well, I see your finishing remarks about starving personal trainers. Chagrined me, and I suppose you mean that these city-dwellers are so set in their ways that a change in diet or increase in exercise is not at all on their to-do lists. Which of course leaves me out and puts less bread of the greener variety into my own mouth.

Hopefully people who respond will have a certain perspective one way or the other as Chet does, and don't keep pointlessly reiterating what mar did in the first reply ad nauseam. I understand it's a difficult thing to say in a huge metro, but still, I'm sure there are opinions on this re Chicagoans vs. other cities, and so if you feel one way or the other, I invite you all to speak up and state your case as Chet so eloquently did. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,344,830 times
Chet is our resident grumpy old man. You have to take what he says with many grains of salt! (Unless you have high blood pressure of course.)

Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM

3,903 posts, read 6,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
People that like sandwichs mounded with beef served with a side of fried potatoes that could feed five, pizza with enough cheese to put a dairy herd into overtime, craft beers, food trucks with all manner of sweet / salty / fatty offerings and super short distances between things are NOT the kind of people that are going to lean...

"Clean eating" means you have enough napkins not to leave grease on your shirt in these parts.

There are probably more "personal trainers" in these parts starving for business and dreaming of opening some kind of business than in any other city of its size...
Good observation. If there are a lot of fat people in Chicago, it's because the food is so good here -- and a lot of that "good" food is quite fattening.

But one also can find quite a bit of good, healthy food here, if one knows where to look, including quite a few vegetarian/vegan options. And I've noticed there are many people here who are into that, a lot more so than in my hometown, it seems, although that could be due to Chicago's sheer size.

Me? Today I went to Art of Pizza and had myself two very big slices of stuffed pizza. I got all the way down to the edge of the crust on the second slice and even though there was just a little left, I had to stop. Too much. After a bout of illness a few months ago, I lost some weight and am now down to 125 pounds, a weight I haven't been in more than 30 years. And I can't seem to put one single pound back on. Although I try desperately, I really do.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM

3,903 posts, read 6,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Chet is our resident grumpy old man. You have to take what he says with many grains of salt! (Unless you have high blood pressure of course.)
I enjoy reading Chet's posts and getting his different perspective. Although I wish he would be a bit more succinct -- I do tend to get lost in his verbosity at times.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,920,224 times
Yes, we are a very, very fat city. And it likely has less to do with deep dish and Italian beef and more to do with the 100s of thousands of impoverished residents with terrible eating habits.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM

262 posts, read 485,844 times
I know a few personal trainers who are able to make a decent living; charging between $40-$80 per hour. As Mariothsu said, your perspective will change depending on the neighborhood. Down by the Gold Coast/Mag Mile, there are a ton of fit people out jogging and biking. It seems like they exercise regularly and get good use out of their gym in the winter. Then if you go out to Brickyard Mall for example on the Northwest side, you will see a lot more overweight people. Of course these examples are anecdotal.

Look up data for obesity rates tied to certain demographic and income levels. You will see a difference there.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I know a few personal trainers who are able to make a decent living; charging between $40-$80 per hour. As Mariothsu said, your perspective will change depending on the neighborhood. Down by the Gold Coast/Mag Mile, there are a ton of fit people out jogging and biking. It seems like they exercise regularly and get good use out of their gym in the winter. Then if you go out to Brickyard Mall for example on the Northwest side, you will see a lot more overweight people. Of course these examples are anecdotal.

Look up data for obesity rates tied to certain demographic and income levels. You will see a difference there.

Awesome post man and great feedback man. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: