Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times

Advertisements

A lot of Eastern European countries (and Greenland!) were worse than us on the list.

It's kind of academic to argue if they are "first world" or not these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It's kind of academic to argue if they are "first world" or not these days.
The whole term "First World" has pretty much ceased to mean anything since the end of the Cold War, since it basically meant "Wealthy nations that aren't communist."

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Interesting....the numbers for India, Russia and Canada are suprising.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Good point about Canada. It has roughly 10% the population of the U.S. and more than 20% as many total reported crimes. That's double the crime rate. (If this random-ass map on the internet created by people who don't know the difference between number of crimes and crime rate is to be believed, that is.)

Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
An accurate "crime rate" requires accurate crime reporting and logging, and I just don't think that places like India are catching everything that happens.

The U.S. has a lot of unreported crime too, but we do have modern systems in place to track crime and police departments that are at least somewhat trusted by residents enough that people will call them for help.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If this random-ass map on the internet created by people who don't know the difference between number of crimes and crime rate is to be believed, that is.
Yeah, I'd be a little wary of this map because of that.

It's also very difficult to compare crime rates between different countries based on a lot of different factors - i.e. rapes are drastically under reported in many countries/cultures. Also, since laws differ from country to country you have to slog through the data to make comparisons meaningful.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Good point about Canada. It has roughly 10% the population of the U.S. and more than 20% as many total reported crimes. That's double the crime rate. (If this random-ass map on the internet created by people who don't know the difference between number of crimes and crime rate is to be believed, that is.)

Yeah, I would expect Russia and Indian to be higher and Canada to be a lot lower. I do wonder about the source. Here's what the murder rates look like for various countries:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Did you click on the link? Did you read it? I know it has some big words, and is 12 pages long, and you may have missed the day in school where they teach you how to read basic charts, but let me sum it up for you, using your favorite typing style: THE REPORT AT THAT LINK SHOWED SEVERAL COUNTRIES, INCLUDING SOME "FIRST WORLD" ONES, WITH HIGHER CRIME RATES THAN THE U.S. ACROSS SEVERAL DIFFERENT CATEGORIES. The U.S. was not ranked first in any category. Not a single one.

And yet you are incapable of naming one first world country with a higher crime rate than the U.S. Why?

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what a creationist would say, though they may have had the decency to insert a comma or two and remove an apostrophe. (You did mean that they're the ones arguing with the creationist, right? If you meant that you are arguing with a creationist, you're not only wrong, you're delusional.)

"But" isn't actually a noun. "Buts" isn't actually a word and that's why I put the apostrophe there. "But" is only a noun in this sense because I'm talking about the word itself. No "if"s, "and"s or "but"s - That's exactly what a scientist would say to a creationist who is denying fact.

Quote:
First of all, they were denying this "fact":

Nice job not quoting my entire sentence. You're not the first person to misquote someone like that.

Quote:
You later amended your argument rather than admitting you were wrong. (This is a favorite strategy of yours, we've all noticed.) As has been pointed out, though, even among developed nations, the U.S. doesn't have the highest crime rate.
Here is my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
America has the highest crime rate and yet it has more prisoners than any first world country. You say the justice system is "f***ing around" and yet let me repeat, we have more prisoners than any first world country. Obviously incarceration doesn't work. Creating a healthier society with social programs works. Like many European counties..
I see now how my sentence could be misunderstood..However, my whole sentence was comparing the U.S to other FIRST WORLD counties not just the end of it. I mean, that was the entire point I was making.. I was talking about prisoners and crime. I was comparing the United States to the same counties in both prisoners and crime. Whether or not the US has more crime than Mexico or Afghanistan is irrelevant because I wasn't comparing the United States' prison system to Mexico's or Afghanistan's.

America has a higher crime rate than any other first world county. America has more prisoners than any other first world country. My post - "America has the highest crime rate [out of any first world country] and yet it has more prisoners than any first world country."

Yuck. Saying the same phrase twice in one long sentence.

I typed that in a rush. My bad. Now can we just accept what I meant to say as what I meant to say and not how you interpreted it and move on?

Last edited by urza216; 06-27-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And yet you are incapable of naming one. Why?

"But" isn't actually a noun. No "if"s, "and"s or "but"s is exactly what a scientist would say to a creationist who is denying fact.

According to the data I just reviewed, there are no countries with comparable economic development that have a higher murder rate than the United States. Even China has a murder rate 1/5 that of the United States. I don't know about overall crime rates.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yeah, I'd be a little wary of this map because of that.

It's also very difficult to compare crime rates between different countries based on a lot of different factors - i.e. rapes are drastically under reported in many countries/cultures. Also, since laws differ from country to country you have to slog through the data to make comparisons meaningful.
Also, what is a crime here, might not be a crime over there (Like one report said, 80% of incarcerations are specific to drug possession, a charge that hardly has consistency from one municipality to another, let alone city, state, country, etc.)

We are probably the most criminal country in the first world because our drug laws are archaic and useless in addressing real, actual crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago