Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM

249 posts, read 443,742 times

Advertisements

Huge, huge negative for someone like myself who was truly considering The Chi. I mean, every few days, it's another story about something crazy and vicious that happened in the city. You just don't see this phenomenon in the other big city forums. Even L.A. and NYC. It's far more sparse there. Here in the Chicago forum, it's really feeling like a warzone lately..

Makes me wonder if you local folks even notice how big a part of the general discussion on the city is made up of this continuous talking point that never goes away simply because the current events dictate the acknowledgement.

Now, I know Mar is gonna be in this thread on the double-quick with a nicely-written post disarming this assertion and doing his normal damage control(which by the way I give him much credit for as a devout Chicago advocate), but ya can't really rationalize this away. It's much worse than I first realized in your folks neck of the woods, and yes, murders happen everywhere, but this trend stands alone as unique to Chicago in it's relentlessness.

Just wanted to know what you folks think should be done about this, and what, if any possible solution you can possibly forsee to this blight of violence that makes up a huge part of the overall notion of Chicago, the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
MMM, is it a warzone? No, it's not. Is there high crime in some areas? Yes, of course there is. The pure fact that you base an entire city off an internet forum makes me do a facepalm and that would go for any city in the world, not just Chicago.

The reason why I post STATISTICS (i.e. facts, which are readily available online) is the fact that most people think crime is just absolutely rampant in all parts of the city. It's really not. Obviously there's crime everywhere (any crime), just like any city in the US, but in a lot of areas it's not and you know what, statistics speak for themselves. People can post this and that all they want, but Chicago publishes its crime statistics better than almost any city in the US. You can look for yourself. It's a city of 227 square miles. Not everywhere or even most places have tons of crime.

That's why I post the stuff I do. People are ignorant to this fact because all they do is look up city wide statistics instead of realizing that things are more localized than they think and the more serious crime is usually segregated from the good for the most part.

And no other city does it because they aren't as in the limelight as Chicago about this issue. Would it be okay if I posted this?
NYC's Violent Weekend: 25 Shootings Over 48 Hours : Gothamist
Carnage in NYC: Shootings kill six, injure 19 over 48 hours of bloodshed | syracuse.com

It's a fact of cities in the US. If you really think NYC, LA, etc don't have violence problems then you have a lot to learn. Chicago has also decreased its crime a bit since the late 80s and early 90s. The difference is that LA and NYC have too and they've done a better job at it than Chicago.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Don't you worry about Chicago.

Be more concerned about your willingness to dismiss an entire city based on an internet forum.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
The Chi? Is that some kind of tea?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM

190 posts, read 315,544 times
what you mean is that it's a shame that people sensationalize the violence in chicago while ignoring it pretty much everywhere else.

do you mind telling me how it's unique to chicago? because that's not even close to true.

the media hype is absolutely unique to chicago. i'll give you that.

the violence situation is not unique at all though.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Huge, huge negative for someone like myself who was truly considering The Chi. I mean, every few days, it's another story about something crazy and vicious that happened in the city. You just don't see this phenomenon in the other big city forums. Even L.A. and NYC. It's far more sparse there. Here in the Chicago forum, it's really feeling like a warzone lately..

Makes me wonder if you local folks even notice how big a part of the general discussion on the city is made up of this continuous talking point that never goes away simply because the current events dictate the acknowledgement.

Now, I know Mar is gonna be in this thread on the double-quick with a nicely-written post disarming this assertion and doing his normal damage control(which by the way I give him much credit for as a devout Chicago advocate), but ya can't really rationalize this away. It's much worse than I first realized in your folks neck of the woods, and yes, murders happen everywhere, but this trend stands alone as unique to Chicago in it's relentlessness.

Just wanted to know what you folks think should be done about this, and what, if any possible solution you can possibly forsee to this blight of violence that makes up a huge part of the overall notion of Chicago, the city itself.
Fly away, you silly troll

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
There is much more possetive than negative.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post

You realize it's mostly media based and political cause Obama is from Chicago. The city itself is middle of the pack when it actually comes to crime.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 PM

596 posts, read 821,309 times
Some of you should know better. Stop feeding the troll

Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
lol.. Saw some of his post history, definitely a troll. Can't believe I actually wasted time on a couple of the threads he made in this forum already.

If for some wild reason he isn't a troll, I wouldn't understand why anyone would base their opinion about something, especially a city, from a forum and the number of discussions from that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago