Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I dont know if I would call it a rivalry, more like immature bragging rights (and this is coming from a big Sox fan). I mean we are talking about two last or near last place teams this year.
Yeah. I'm a Sox fan and don't consider it to be a major rivalry like the Twins or Tigers, but the games sell out and get a lot of media attention. Every now and then I do run across knucklehead fans from both teams who try to start crap with fans of the other team, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

And you're right, neither team has much to be proud of so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
And you're right, neither team has much to be proud of so far this year.
Cubs and Sox fans, all brought together by the Hawks.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Cubs and Sox fans, all brought together by the Hawks.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I think wearing a Chicago Black Hawks championship shirt and cap when I go to Boston will give me a warm welcome as I wait for my train at North Station for Lowell.
The Blackhawks ran a great full page ad in the Boston Globe today. It starts out:

Quote:
Hockey is a tough game. As impressed as we were by the strength, talent and competitive spirit of the Boston Bruins on the ice, we were deeply touched by what happened off the ice. Rarely have we experienced the hospitality you afforded us throughout the playoff series between two incredibly gifted teams.

On behalf of the Blackhawks organization and the entire Wirtz Corporation we want to personally express our heartfelt appreciation to your city, the Bruins organization, and especially the citizens of Boston...
Based on the reaction I'm seeing from a lot people in Boston you might get a few high fives or a hug for wearing Blackhawks gear in Boston.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The Blackhawks ran a great full page ad in the Boston Globe today. It starts out:

Based on the reaction I'm seeing from a lot people in Boston you might get a few high fives or a hug for wearing Blackhawks gear in Boston.
There's no real animosity towards the Hawks from Boston; if the Bruins hadn't been in the playoffs, they probably would have cheered for Chicago...

Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM

109 posts, read 239,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Do the White Sox and Cubs play often despite being in different leagues? Any rivalry there?
There is arivalry especially if you're a black Southsider. We don't respect the Cubs orview them as a city team. I'm a Southsider from the heart of the Southside who has never lived north of 76th Street and me and my friends call them the "Suburban Scrubs" team. We don't even refer to them as the Chicago Cubs, they are the Suburban Scrubs to us. When the Cubs are mentioned here, it's almost always used as ajoke. If you come to the 79th Street or anywhere deep in the heart of the Southside all you see is people standing around outside with White Sox hats on, this Sox thing is a "city boy" thing for us with a black White Sox hat being a necessity for every man, boy, and child. Cub hats rarely make an appearance and when you see one it's shocking and literally stops you in your tracks like seeing a real unicorn.

Last edited by SouthsideTillIDie; 06-28-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
There is arivalry especially if you're a black Southsider. We don't respect the Cubs orview them as a city team. I'm a Southsider from the heart of the Southside who has never lived north of 76th Street and me and my friends call them the "Suburban Scrubs" team. We don't even refer to them as the Chicago Cubs, they are the Suburban Scrubs to us. When the Cubs are mentioned here, it's almost always used as ajoke. If you come to the 79th Street or anywhere deep in the heart of the Southside all you see is people standing around outside with White Sox hats on, this Sox thing is a "city boy" thing for us with a black White Sox hat being a necessity for every man, boy, and child. Cub hats rarely make an appearance and when you see one it's shocking and literally stops you in your tracks like seeing a real unicorn.
And the White Sox are garbage as ****.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Lame. The buses were flying. I thought I was going to a parade, not a race.
Yes, I felt so sorry for fans that made the huge effort to get down there just to see them fly right on by.
Why did they go so fast?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 AM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
Watched the stream at work. A lot of it did a good job of nearly putting me to sleep. Only when Quinn got booed did I awaken.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Yeah, that was pretty disrespectful to all those fans to move those busses so quickly.

Obviously there are worse problems to have, but if the hawks win again you won't see numbers like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago