Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM

54 posts, read 127,530 times

Advertisements

Craigslist posters are lying, cheating *******s with no integrity. I'm starting to think that's true about *everyone* selling a used car, so help me out here.

Has anyone on this list ever bought a used car from a dealer and NOT gotten a lemon or totally ripped off? If so, where??? I am absolutely willing to go to the suburbs, at this point, if that's what it takes.

Please help!

By the way, I insist on taking any potential purchase to my mechanic prior to shelling out any cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
We sold our car on Craigslist and didn't lie, cheat, or steal our way out of it. Have you tried looking through AutoTrader?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
A lot of people like CarMax although prices are a little higher. That's probably what I would do.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks, Subconscious Me, I wish I had known about your listing! I have not tried AutoTrader.
And Chicagobear, I am a little leery of Carmax, but you might be right to try them.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
What are you looking for , and what's your price range ?? I have done the 'certified pre-owned' with no issues . These are cars that are usually 2-3 years old , have been leased and returned , and are typically like-new condition with a warranty to match . These programs are usually on higher-end cars, but it lets someone else eat the depreciation through the lease on the new car . Check with new car dealers for this .
New car dealers will typically send what they can't CPO to auction, where the Used Car Dealers will pick them up .

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Also, if you find a car you like/in your price range google "service report + year + make + model" it will help identify commonly occurring problems/recalls and you can ask the seller if they've had said problem/recall fixed. I find this helpful as well for regularly scheduled maintenance to ask if they've had x, y, z repaired as scheduling recommends.

cars.com is also useful

I hope to be selling our vehicle soon-ish and be car-less

Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Whole hierarchy of quality...

I have bought from private party, from regular dealer's non-brand trade-in lot and CPO.

CPO is most costly but value is high and ease of shopping is tops-- easier than new when factor in Internet search. Of course if you are shopping for CPO you need to have a little more cash or finance looks worse than new car.

When shopping for used cars that have been traded in most decent dealers will give you some kind of limited period for inspection / warranty. Harder to shop and not quite the bargain of a private party sale, but low hassle factor....

I have bought used cars from private parties. Lots more leg work. Need to pay for CarFax on your own. Need to be pretty savvy about the kinds of issues the certain cars have been reported with / find seller with repair records. Can get a really fair price but invest lots of time with dead-end cars that only a fool would waste money on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
What are you looking for , and what's your price range ?? I have done the 'certified pre-owned' with no issues . These are cars that are usually 2-3 years old , have been leased and returned , and are typically like-new condition with a warranty to match . These programs are usually on higher-end cars, but it lets someone else eat the depreciation through the lease on the new car . Check with new car dealers for this .
New car dealers will typically send what they can't CPO to auction, where the Used Car Dealers will pick them up .

Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
That's the nature of a used car. Assume you're buying someone else's problems. Craigslist isn't necessarily cheaters, but they're trying to dump a car for as much as possible and if either of you two isn't a mechanic, well, there's lots of unknowns.

You can pick up good deals on craigslist, if you're familiar with problems and what the fixes may cost, thereby leveraging your knowledge over the seller.

Stay away from used car lots. Not to say they're automatically sheisters, but really, they buy a car at auction, test drive it, detail it and put it out on the lot. How much could they possibly know about the car having spent a total of twenty minutes in it? You obviously aren't equipped to make your own determination, or accept the risks that come with it.

Sounds like you want a car that is a certified used car, or something from Carmax. Pay the extra juice for a car since you're obviously not comfortable tackling mechanical work on your own.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Like I said, I won't buy something unless it is totally checked out by my trusted mechanic, so I would *like* to deal with private sellers, but I am so tired of hearing their made-up stories of why they're selling the car. I'm totally familiar with the common issues for my desired car (Toyota Solara or Avalon), and I've driven them all my life so I know a fair bit about what things cost. I feel pretty empowered there. But I hadn't thought about used car dealers and where they get most of their inventory (auctions), so that's a great tip to keep in mind.

It really does seem to be a choice between:
1) dealing with Carmax to get a pretty well-tested car for more money than the car is worth, eliminating tons of time and energy wasted on private sellers
OR
2) dealing with private sellers, taking lots of time and energy to test drive, take them to my mechanic, and haggle, in the hopes of getting a decent deal

Thanks, everyone, for confirming what I already assumed to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago