Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times

Advertisements

I had my faceplate and ipod out of sight in the map pocket behind the seat.

Obviously these guys are smarter than I gave them credit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Now dats class!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Yeah, I've seen that pic on Facebook at least 3 times already...

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

159 posts, read 409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You appear to be talking about Portland, ME. I assume the OP is in the much larger Portland, OR, since he/she didn't specify.

I'm in Portland, Oregon.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
I've moved away and I always missed Chicago for a while, but I eventually adapted and stopped even thinking about it. You eventually adapt and get wrapped up in your own little world. I still tried to watch WGN news though to make me feel closer to Chicago. But then I moved back and didn't like it initially, but then got used to it again and loved it again. Thats just how I am though, it might be different for different people. I didn't grow up in Chicago.

I feel like if you aren't from Chicago, you just experience it to its fullest and then move back somewhere cheaper and maybe closer to home. As great as Chicago is, it can wear on you after a while if you didn't grow up here.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I identify with your post more than any of the others!

I'm 33 years old and have been in California for a year and a half, so I'm a little different circumstance than you, but the things I miss most about back home is yes the summer rain and fall foliage the most, as well as a Polish bakery.

I guess its because I grew up in the suburbs, in an extended family that hadn't lived in the city proper since the 60s, the "Chicago" that is part of my families roots no longer exists, and the new Chicago of my generation is different enough that there really is I feel little reason why I should feel a stronger connection to than people from out of state.
Being 50+ and growing up in the city there are so many things that I miss about it. Yes, the
polish bakeries, the italian deli's, the architecture, the museums and the abundance of cultural
things to do, the energy, people watching, having the opportunity to be anonymous, the tiny
yards utilized to grow a surplus of peppers & tomatoes, quality health care, the choice of
restaurants, the lake, oh so much to mention.
I realize that many things have changed but I always found the people of Chicago to be
"down to earth," helpful, eager to engage in conversation and proud of their city. Home
is where the heart is, and mine will always be Chicago. Hopefully, we will be able to come
home soon.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
I might be moving to NYC next summer, and I think it wont hit me until I actually move away from Chicago to realize what I'll miss the most about it if I do end up moving. I've loved to call this my 2nd home for the past few years.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I share those feelings too, but I've relocated from Chicago to Atlanta.

I sometimes wonder if it's "Chicago" or just a home town thing? I wonder if people born and raised in other cities have the same feelings after relocating? Is Chicago special or is it that we're simply drawn back to our home town where we have roots, strong memories and overall feel more comfortable?
Me, too. Except I moved to Charlotte, NC!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,924 times
I've been in PDX for 1 1/2 year (black, 36) ...head has been blown.
Other than the nature + food...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM

123 posts, read 152,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I've moved away and I always missed Chicago for a while, but I eventually adapted and stopped even thinking about it. You eventually adapt and get wrapped up in your own little world. I still tried to watch WGN news though to make me feel closer to Chicago. But then I moved back and didn't like it initially, but then got used to it again and loved it again. Thats just how I am though, it might be different for different people. I didn't grow up in Chicago.

I feel like if you aren't from Chicago, you just experience it to its fullest and then move back somewhere cheaper and maybe closer to home. As great as Chicago is, it can wear on you after a while if you didn't grow up here.
Yep. I've lived in Chicago for 6 years now and I'm originally from Akron, OH. I don't necessarily miss Akron (at all), but I do get fed up with Chicago every once in a while. Sometimes it seems like everything is such a hassle here (and so expensive)! And I miss having a car, but don't feel like shelling out the costs of owning one in the city. I honestly don't think I'll ever move back to Akron (even though my family is there), but I don't see myself in Chicago for the rest of my life. I'm 32 and finishing school at RU. Once I'm done with that next Spring, I'm probably outta here. Who knows where though. Maybe Portland, OR! I love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago