Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times

Advertisements

Gene's in Lincoln Square has prime steaks and they dry age as well. So does Fox & Obel.

And as rparz suggested, you can go to the meat packing district and get prime beef.

No need for an overpriced steak house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Casey's is right across from Metra stop!

If you take Blue Line to the Canal St stop you can walk to Union Station and the ride the BNSF out. The butchers at Casey's will wrap the steaks and supply ice for the ride back home. I've had them do that for a week's worth of meat when I went to New Buffalo and then I discovered Drier's and did not need to bring my own provisions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Which stop on the Blue line can take me there?

Paulina Market is the default for most people.

But, for something a little better and prime cuts, there's Olympic Meat in the Meatpacking district at Randolph and Halsted.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfed View Post
People still opt to go to steakhouses simply because the quality of meat that one can purvey in most retail locations pales in quality. I realize that there are exceptions but the figure that I've seen tossed around is that only 3% or less of the steaks sold for personal preparation are Prime whereas that's the standard classification at high end steakhouses. Simply put, you will be pressed to replicate the quality of steak you cook at home compared to a higher end steakhouse. Of course, it goes without say that you'll pay for this privilege.
It's important to remember that less than half the beef produced ends up as graded cuts, so while only 3% or so gets graded as prime, that represents about 8-10% of the beef that is sold as graded cuts. As Chet mentioned Costco gets prime grade cuts every week (the Lincoln Park location gets theirs on Tuesday mornings, they usually run out Friday or Saturday). Restaurant Depot has pallets full of prime grade cuts at all times. Any butcher's shop will also have prime grade.

Where good steakhouses really offer a benefit is when they age their own beef - Burke's and Keefers do a great job at this. If you want aged beef you can get some great quality aged beef from many butcher's shops, I really like Paulina Meat Market and Butcher and Larder for aged beef. I also got a great steak from PQM a few weeks ago. All these places are expensive, but still roughly half as expensive as a steakhouse. It's also very easy to do at home.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Here is why I will never go to Gibson's again: My lovely wife wanted to take me someplace swank for my birthday dinner, so she surprised me with a trip to Gibson's. It was high on my list of places I wanted to try and I was very excited. The food was pretty good, I will admit, but not superior IMO to most other high end steakhouses I've tried. The kicker for me was, our waiter, a seemingly capable young man, was attentive, but in a very mechanical and not very warm and welcoming way. He seemed to be rushing the courses, and rushing us, as if he was just trying to turn the table over (This is dinner, not lunch, mind you, so we weren't in a hurry to get back to the office or anything like that) After a while of this kind of treatment, my wife said to the waiter "We're trying to enjoy our meal, and it really seems like you're rushing us, trying to get us out of here. What's the deal?"
The waiter's reply? "Ma'am, we're the busiest steakhouse in the world. We don't play."
Well F--- that. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a steak, I'll go to Rosebud Steakhouse, where I never feel rushed, and the service is attentive and friendly and they don't act like they're doing you a favor by letting you eat in their establishment.
That is why I will never set foot in Gibson's again.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
The waiter's reply? "Ma'am, we're the busiest steakhouse in the world. We don't play."
Wow. While that may or may not be an accurate statement, it's a stupid thing to say out loud to customers if you're trying to get tips.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Wow. While that may or may not be an accurate statement, it's a stupid thing to say out loud to customers if you're trying to get tips.
Agreed. It certainly impacted the tip he got from us. It just came across as low class to be honest (and at those prices, we're paying for class)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
That is just really weird. I have been Gibson's Rush St location at least 36 or 40 times and I have NEVER felt hurried, in fact most the time I have left feeling like the last 10 - 15 minutes I spent in the place I could have actually used somebody to sort encourage me to leave -- after a ton of food / drinks / dessert (often carefully boxed for 'later'...) the waiters I have had seem entirely happy to let me sit there and contemplate just how big a tip a can part with...

Did you talk to anyone? I mean that is just totally not right...

Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Last night, prompted by this thread I took my wife and another couple out for an impromptu treat to the Oak Brook Gibson's.
The irony is that this thread on the alleged decreasing food quality at Gibson's has really made me crave a good steak. I think I need one now.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That is just really weird. I have been Gibson's Rush St location at least 36 or 40 times and I have NEVER felt hurried, in fact most the time I have left feeling like the last 10 - 15 minutes I spent in the place I could have actually used somebody to sort encourage me to leave -- after a ton of food / drinks / dessert (often carefully boxed for 'later'...) the waiters I have had seem entirely happy to let me sit there and contemplate just how big a tip a can part with...

Did you talk to anyone? I mean that is just totally not right...
We were so taken aback (and it was pretty much at the end of the meal) so no, we didn't say anything, although in hindsight we should have. (As the night wore on and it sunk in more, I got a little more indignant about it)
At those prices, all it takes is one less than stellar experience like that for me to take my business elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The irony is that this thread on the alleged decreasing food quality at Gibson's has really made me crave a good steak. I think I need one now.
I cooked up a nice ribeye last night. Marinated it in beer for a couple of hours before throwing it on the grill.
Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago