Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times

Advertisements

Never underestimate how little Chicago politicians care about the good people, especially those stuck in bad neighborhoods with deplorable police response times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 AM

125 posts, read 172,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
People who are mugged or attacked by random people have no chance to use a gun. That's just the basic nature of crimes like that.

There is a risk of people trying to be heros in crowded situations and shooting at someone to try and save a cellphone or something, and end up killing innocent bystanders. I cannot imagine any situation where someone could safely fire a gun on the CTA.
Never knew it was SO easy to mug someone. Funny how cops never get mugged? They all carry a gun that is probably worth a few hundred dollars resell on the streets. You think you'd hear about it all the time if it was so easy to disarm someone and take their weapon.

"Someone trying to save a cellphone" is an illegal means of self defense with a firearm. I would not shoot someone trying to take my phone. Carrying on the CTA is about stairwells, stations, the walk home. I don't see shootouts on the CTA taking place, attacks are generally going to be somewhere where the attacker can escape easily and on a train is not one of them.

I have carried into hundreds of crowded bars, never had a problem. Wanted it for the walk home. Deliberately walked down streets that were the safest, staying in light, away from alleys or surprise areas. Contrary to popular belief, law abiding CCW holders don't go looking for danger and trouble. Nobody wants to be Zimmerman right now.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
Of course crime isn't going to just "go away". The murder rate in the hood is not going to decrease, hell maybe it increases. But you give someone innocent walking home from their job the fighting chance that the Constitution guarantees them and that was upheld in our Supreme Court. How do you argue with that?
Again, I could care less about cc. I know plenty of usually "law abiding" citizens who carry guns illegally.

I just find it funny that people think it's going to deter crime.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Gun registration is gone-zo. Get your FOID and buy a gun like everyone else in the country.

Look at the bottom for ordinances no longer enforced:
Firearm Concealed Carry Act

Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Congratulations, Illinois! This is a huge win for common sense.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM

241 posts, read 465,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Gun registration is gone-zo. Get your FOID and buy a gun like everyone else in the country.

Look at the bottom for ordinances no longer enforced:
Firearm Concealed Carry Act
Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem to show anything about penalties, but if its true that its only a misdemeanor for carrying on the CTA if you are licensed, then it might be worth it..

Overall, I'm happy that the city of Chicago looks to be allowing it without many restrictions.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Funny how cops never get mugged? They all carry a gun that is probably worth a few hundred dollars resell on the streets. You think you'd hear about it all the time if it was so easy to disarm someone and take their weapon.
It is a concern for police - it's why they travel in cruisers with a partner instead of walking the streets alone.

Quote:
"Someone trying to save a cellphone" is an illegal means of self defense with a firearm. I would not shoot someone trying to take my phone. Carrying on the CTA is about stairwells, stations, the walk home. I don't see shootouts on the CTA taking place, attacks are generally going to be somewhere where the attacker can escape easily and on a train is not one of them....Nobody wants to be Zimmerman right now.
It's great that you wouldn't shoot on a train, and I agree that most people are reasonable and wouldn't do anything stupid with a gun. Although I think you really underestimate how many people would do something stupid. Check out the comments on any Trib article about gun control, it's loaded with people who seem to spend their days fantasizing about being a Zimmerman.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Congratulations, Illinois! This is a huge win for common sense.
But in this case, the "common sense" is stupid.

The real sensible solution is to greatly decrease the availability of guns for EVERYONE in the U.S. Localized gun control doesn't work because criminals get them illegally by going to adjacent areas that make them easily available. But even if the manufacture of guns were banned tomorrow, it would take hundreds of years for the current ones in circulation to become inoperable. The black market would have a plentiful supply for at least a century.

So as long as we are sticking with the ridiculous 2nd Amendment and won't address the real issue (too many guns EVERYWHERE), I guess I'm happy I can carry a gun if I want to.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

241 posts, read 465,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But in this case, the "common sense" is stupid.

The real sensible solution is to greatly decrease the availability of guns for EVERYONE in the U.S. Localized gun control doesn't work because criminals get them illegally by going to adjacent areas that make them easily available. But even if the manufacture of guns were banned tomorrow, it would take hundreds of years for the current ones in circulation to become inoperable. The black market would have a plentiful supply for at least a century.

So as long as we are sticking with the ridiculous 2nd Amendment and won't address the real issue (too many guns EVERYWHERE), I guess I'm happy I can carry a gun if I want to.
I would agree that the world would be safer without guns, but as you said, thats basically impossible. So why shouldn't I wanna protect myself.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM

118 posts, read 194,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I see what you're saying. But, no one, and no system, can stop all crime. With that said, I believe society [as a whole] would be much safer if I get hit on the head and robbed for a hundred dollars, than it would be if I was hit on the head and robbed for a 9mm. That's all I'm saying.
If you want to "take one for the team" that's your business, but don't insist that everyone else does. Society, as a whole, is made up of individuals and those individuals need to decide what is best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago