Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM

30 posts, read 83,986 times

Advertisements

Recently, I spent a few days in Chicago, IL, and a significant portion of that time was spent in the Lakeview neighborhood. Each day, I would stop in the Walgreens on Belmont and Sheffield (one block West of the Belmont "EL" Station) to purchase snacks.

Anyway, on my last day in Chicago, hours before my scheduled departure from the city, I stopped in the same Walgreens store to purchase a beverage and possibly some snacks (I have a slight addiction to "junk" food). I walked to the food section (specifically, the area in front of the cooler where the drinks and frozen items were stored), and I suddenly noticed a store manager (a tall Asian gentleman), standing at the end of the isle, playing with his smart phone. My gut instinct was telling me that the guy was staring at me. Well, my gut instinct was correct. There were several people in the isle, and I was the only customer he approached (he asked me if I needed help finding anything). To confirm my suspicion, I walked to the next isle, and the same guy immediately walked over to the same isle. At first, he continued playing with his smart phone, then walked closer to me and began straightening the items on the shelf. I picked up one of the small containers of cereal since that's what I was considering purchasing, then walked over to the cooler to look at the milk. Well, the Asian guy immediately returned to the same isle I was in, playing with his smart phone.

At this point, I was getting very annoyed, very irritated, very uncomfortable, frustrated, shameful, and felt very degraded by how I was being treated. I wasn't doing anything wrong. Yet, this guy was literally stalking me, and treating me like I was a criminal. I even asked him if I was doing anything wrong, and he replied "No." I even walked back to the second isle, and the Asian guy immediately followed. Then, I walked to the third isle, and the Asian guy moved into the same isle, playing with his smart phone. Then I walked over to the medicine wall next to the Pharmacy (which contained the over-the-counter pain tablets), and the Asian guy followed right behind me. Then I walked back to the first isle by the cooler to pick up a can of Arizona grape juice, and the Asian guy immediately followed right behind me. Then, I walked toward the front of the store to look at the pastries, and the Asian guy walked just a few feet away from me, looking right at me the whole time. Then, I walked to the check out counter, and the Asian guy followed me and stood in the center counter (or "island") right behind, staring at me the whole time as I was paying for my merchandise.

Honestly, I couldn't believe what I was observing. I wasn't doing anything wrong. I had no intentions of shoplifting or doing anything wrong. I was simply looking for snack (even though I wasn't exactly certain what I wanted prior to entering the store). I had plenty of money to purchase my food, so no problems there. Yet, I was being treated like a piece of crap for no reason at all. Well, I'm sure there was a reason (as much as I hate to bring this issue up): I'm an African-American male. There were probably very few moments in my life where I have felt so degraded and so dehumanized and so belittled and so humiliated. No one else was being treated this way, NO ONE! I felt very very low, like a spec of dirt on the bottom of someone's shoe. It's like this guy was telling me (non-verbally) that I was just a filthy, worthless N*gg*r.

Later on that day, I went online, did some research, and discovered that the Walgreens district in Chicago had been sued by several African-Americans (both customers and employees) for racial discrimination. Apparently, many African-Americans had experienced the same thing I experienced (shopping while black)--getting followed around. The black Walgreens employees had been intentionally relocated to low performing stores, and denied promotions. Either way, I am very angry and very upset. I thought about writing a formal complaint to the Walgreens corporate office, but I wonder if anything will get resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Hi reese,

I've been in that Walgreens many times and have never had a negative experience. I'm not saying that you didn't but that's one of the few places I would buy things in the area. Maybe I am in such a rush that I don't pay attention. I will say I've experienced racism in Lakeview that beats anything I've seen in any other place. It may be a regional thing rather than corporate.

When I am treated bad in any business I let it be known to corporate or who ever. Be sure to follow through. If you have a complaint and you've found similar complaints about the Chicago region it needs to be known.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
I've seen homeless people treated this way in many Chicago businesses, and that Walgreen's is an area that is particularly plagued by "street people" because of its location. It's an indelicate question, but is there any way that you could be mistaken for a homeless person?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
There's no way a company like Walgreens would knowingly keep the same racist manager after being sued. Can you show where you found this "district" has been sued? Anybody can say anything online and without proof and just a story, it means nothing. I'd love to read an official story/report about the suing and the racism if it exists.

If I seem to remember correctly, you may be the same poster who has claimed other paranoid things before too and associated them automatically with racism. Sorry to say but not everything may be racism. I have had things like this happen, not as severe - and it so happened that the guy was gay and was attracted to me. You can take things however you want, but minorities need to stop thinking that anything "weird" that happens to them is automatically racism. And yes, I am part a minority and used to think like this.

I'm not saying you aren't wrong, just like to see some proof that the store is a huge problem. When I googled it, I couldn't find anything on this, and as a member of the Chicago community, I think it's bull**** that, if this is true, someone could keep their job who behaves that way.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I will say I've experienced racism in Lakeview that beats anything I've seen in any other place. It may be a regional thing rather than corporate.
I'm curious, what problems did you have? Was it a night life/bar situation? Because I think that is one area that racism really exposes itself in Chicago, particularly large rowdy clubs or bars with dancing and large crowds.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm curious, what problems did you have? Was it a night life/bar situation? Because I think that is one area that racism really exposes itself in Chicago, particularly large rowdy clubs or bars with dancing and large crowds.
Like this? Wait this is in NYC. I thought Chicago was the only city with racism problems still ;-)

Times Square Club Fined $20K for Barring Non-Korean Patrons - Times Square & Theater District - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's no way a company like Walgreens would knowingly keep the same racist manager after being sued. Can you show where you found this "district" has been sued? Anybody can say anything online and without proof and just a story, it means nothing. I'd love to read an official story/report about the suing and the racism if it exists.

If I seem to remember correctly, you may be the same poster who has claimed other paranoid things before too and associated them automatically with racism. Sorry to say but not everything may be racism. I have had things like this happen, not as severe - and it so happened that the guy was gay and was attracted to me. You can take things however you want, but minorities need to stop thinking that anything "weird" that happens to them is automatically racism. And yes, I am part a minority and used to think like this.

I'm not saying you aren't wrong, just like to see some proof that the store is a huge problem. When I googled it, I couldn't find anything on this, and as a member of the Chicago community, I think it's bull**** that, if this is true, someone could keep their job who behaves that way.
You have a serious problems facing the fact that racism exist in Chicago. It's obvious by your post. People like you need to learn not everyone has the same experience especially when it comes to race and experiences.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You have a serious problems facing the fact that racism exist in Chicago. It's obvious by your post. People like you need to learn not everyone has the same experience especially when it comes to race and experiences.
No, I never said that racism doesn't exist in Chicago. You misinterpreted my post. I am saying that people need to automatically stop thinking that if someone around them is acting weird that it's automatically because of their race. I was thinking of another poster before so I retract that part of my statement, but I would really be interested in seeing the reports the OP references (i.e. about suing and relocation).

And yes, I have first hand experienced racism in Chicago a few times, and second hand a few times, but in the end....just because someone around you is acting weirdly doesn't mean it's automatically because of your race. Sometimes? Sure. All the time? No. I used to think like that too. I used to get pissed if someone around me was acting weird and would think it was automatically my race. In the end, I learned that it usually wasn't the case (only a few times) and I stopped jumping the gun.

But really, I would love to see that report. I don't think a company who's been reprimanded like this should continue to employ an employee/employees who do this. I am pretty sure something can be done, even if you don't think your voice will be heard. You can make your story known online and get some attention drawn to it too if you don't think a formal complaint will work.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM

61 posts, read 105,853 times
Reese, sounds like you might be projecting just a wee bit of insecure feelings into this experience. Seems a little bit out of proportion. I am sorry that you had to experience this, and that you were made to feel so low. We have a gift store in the town close to me that I won't shop at any more. One of the owners/managers who is something like 6'7" tall, and very intimidating, has followed me around more than once, and for no reason other then he can. I am white, and certainly not a shoplifter either. This same store also employs a couple dwarfs. While I certainly have nothing against dwarfs, they'll come around the isle and scare the living s--- out of you, because you can't see them coming! Hope this brightens your day just a little.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
my gut feeling is that since you are black, and since that is so close to the El where so many problems have been happening, and unfortunately by people that are black, this guy probably was watching you to see if you were going to be a possible harm to him or Walgreens. Unfortunately, others screwed things up for nice people like you.

If I were him, I would not be so blatantly obvious unless he wanted to be blatantly obvious to make a point to you.

so you were innocent, but others have made a bad impression and now you are suffering the consequences.

Thats how i see the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago