Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,127 times

Advertisements

I currently started at Roosevelt University pursuing their MSA program for accounting but I don't feel like the school is top quality for business. I am looking for some advice- are RU grads pursued in the job market in business and more specifically accounting? I know a few accountants who may be able to help me after I graduate, but that isn't something I am counting on. Anyone out there have any knowledge about hiring for this university and what employers might pursue them? I also plan to do an internship and possibly work part-time in an entry-level position while pursuing the degree. Would I be better off transferring to another school. I really only chose RU because it was by far the least expensive and I already have 45K in debt from undergrad and don't want to end up 100K + in debt afterwards. I was also considering the MSAF program in forensic accounting. Would one or the other make much of a difference in securing a good job out of college. I was hoping to take the CFE or CPA exam afterward once I am eligible. Anyone have a general starting salary for entry-level accountants at big firms in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If you can manage a year in a Champaign and have the chops to get into this exccellent program the pay is huge: Accountancy > Programs > MAS Direct quote: "...more partners in the Big-Four CPA firms than any other academic institution."

Kind of a no-brainer: Careers-in-Accounting.com: Your Guide to Salaries

Now the path through the UIUC program is SPECIFICALLY for those that have an undergraduate background in accounting, which generally means a major or at least a closely associated field and coursework that is all done with at least grade of B and narrow range of options -- Accountancy > Programs > MSA

Roosevelt is not in the same league at all. Debt is one thing, but if have a desire to advance in an accounting firm you really don't get too many "do overs"...

I know from your post that you have a degree in Microbiolgy and two years of experience working in lab(s). There are some jobs that one could be hired for with an undergrad in a non-business major and a Master's degree in accounting but the quality of the school / program is EVEN MORE important in such cases.

If you need a little more insight into finding not just something that 'seems interesting' but an actual career path that truly suits your own aptitudes I strongly suggest you not spend money on school until you do some important steps in understanding how to determine where you have the greatest liklihood of success -- Interests vs. Aptitudes

Good Luck!

Last edited by chet everett; 07-09-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
I know NEIU has a MS in accounting. It would be cheaper, but probably about the same ranking as Roosevelt.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Wow. Fascinating and impressive that UofI has more Big 4 partners than any other college! I can tell you why though. Its because of its proximity to Chicago and the fact that it is a huge college where thats where everyone is from or moves to. Basically NYC would be the only other competition, but there are so many other colleges that feed into NYC. They also have an amazing business school.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If it was just proximity why not a school IN Chicago? Do you think the quality of the school has something to do with it, maybe, huh?

UIUC has an intensely competitive environment -- the professors have high standards, the kids that major in accounting tend to be extremely driven --they buy into a history of institutional excellence. That reputation fosters a great environment for alums, who often look out for you another from internship, through graduation, hiring, CPA exams and career advancement.

I'm not saying you can't have a good career going to another school, or that every other school is lousy, just that if you have to choose a school based on "success factors" you would be hard pressed to find a school as geared to success as UIUC. Especially for folks switching careers, who need every edge they can get, it makes a lot more sense to not worry about the cheapest way to get a degree, but the smartest path to future success...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: