Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Once again your not understanding what I meant by intolerant.

When you tell people they can't live in your neighborhood because of their race or what ever that's when I draw the line. I thought I made that clear.
ok i see, but i have not told anyone not to live here. (or anywhere for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM

7,098 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
ok i see, but i have not told anyone not to live here. (or anywhere for that matter).
I never labeled you as intolerant have I?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times
Quote:
I never labeled you as intolerant have I?
I may have misunderstood you in a recent post. I'm sorry about that.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,526,356 times
Quote:
I've noticed some posters believe just because someone has a Chicago address they are more enlightened than their suburban counterparts.

Chicago is a world class city without a doubt but for urbanites to look down their noses at suburbanites is funny to me. What are your thoughts?
Eh, Chicago has some of the most xenophobic, provincial people I've ever encountered. City or 'burbs, it doesn't really matter.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,733,309 times
Spent some time in the loop last week. Almost everyone besides the obvious business people looked like they were from a small city in the midwest. This is why Chicago feels provincial.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Spent some time in the loop last week. Almost everyone besides the obvious business people looked like they were from a small city in the midwest. This is why Chicago feels provincial.
1) I work in the Loop every weekday and have for a handful of years. While what you say has some truth to it, it's in no way as bad as you paint it. I see people from many different types of ethnicities to and from work (and of course at the office) everyday without fail. There has never been a day where I say "huh, everyone I saw today was white."

2) Since when is the Loop indicative of what the entire city is? It's a small fraction of it, and thousands of people who work in the Loop don't even live in the city.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,733,309 times
It's not indicative of the entire city, most of the city is even more midwestern, so better to avoid other parts as examples.

You just don't get the "international" feel you get in NYC, LA, Miami, or Las Vegas to an extent, even in the loop.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It's not indicative of the entire city, most of the city is even more midwestern, so better to avoid other parts as examples.

You just don't get the "international" feel you get in NYC, LA, Miami, or Las Vegas to an extent, even in the loop.

The pure fact that you're using the Loop as your baseline for the city shows you know jack **** about the city. "Spent some time in the Loop"...that speaks volumes. Your statements are only partially true and I can't believe you would bring up Las Vegas in with NYC, Miami, and even LA. Miami is international also if you are going for the Latin American thing, but outside of that it's not as international as you think.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 PM

7,098 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Eh, Chicago has some of the most xenophobic, provincial people I've ever encountered. City or 'burbs, it doesn't really matter.
I would've argued that point up until my last 2 years living here. I couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I would've argued that point up until my last 2 years living here. I couldn't have said it better.
I don't think anybody's denying it. There's definitely a mix of close minded with the open minded. I have been lucky to surround myself with open minded people though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago