Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,192,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've noticed some posters believe just because someone has a Chicago address they are more enlightened than their suburban counterparts.
Chicago is way too enlightened. I can't walk across the street without some dirty Deist wanting to talk to me about reductionist or read me some Voltaire. They're worse than "hipsters" bring back the Ancien Regime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,401,589 times
I think you're absolutely right. The perception of Chicago is terrible among those that have never visited. They think the entire city is worse than Detroit or Baghdad. Those of us that are from Chicago or know Chicago know that only a few neighborhoods are that bad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While Chicago is behind some other cities in international tourism (it still gets over 1 million foreign visitors per year), it's a city that suffers from bad PR. I remember earlier this year when I visited my now ex girlfriend's parents in Malaysia. We were talking and they thought all of Chicago is a crime filled place. THAT is why the international tourists don't come as much as a few other cities. Most of them don't give two ****s about what's going on in the US on a daily basis - they just want to be where they see on TV which is NYC and LA. The news they see is the bad stuff, just like how the stuff we see in foreign cities is the bad stuff too. Still, Chicago gets a decent amount of international tourism even if it should be higher than it is, not to mention a big international population which is yes, mainly outside of the downtown areas. It's a lot more complicated than you think.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,743,930 times
Quote:
Again, look has almost nothing to do with it. Comparing two cities with the same architectural styles means nothing. Istanbul and Ankara look similar in many areas, but they are nothing alike on average. This is as frivolous as comparing two guitars that appear to look about the same and then claiming that they're basically the same quality in play.

The very definition of being open minded is being receptive to new ideas or opinions. If someone has only been to a small handful of areas in a city and then will not look at other areas of the city because they think "once you've seen one, you've seem em all," then that is the very definition of being not only close minded, but also of being a cognitive miser.

For the record, Hegewisch is the very furthest Southeast community area of Chicago and almost next to Indiana. Only 0.3% (That is 3/10 of 1%) of the city's population lives there. Hardly indicative of anything. It sounds like you were going on a road trip from Iowa, got off the interstate to get something to eat and then got lost. It's akin to getting lost in Staten Island near Perth Amboy in Jersey.
I don't think there is much variety. I have seen most of the city by the way. The midwest isn't like Europe in which you cross into a different country and the culture can be very different.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,832,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I don't think there is much variety. I have seen most of the city by the way. The midwest isn't like Europe in which you cross into a different country and the culture can be very different.
Yeah, I highly doubt that. Also, what's your point? Of course it isn't because the culture in the US isn't THAT much different from coast to coast. Yeah there are differences, but really the culture from LA compared to Chicago isn't as drastic as Norway compared to Turkey. It's also a semi moot point as the cities in the US are far different than even some of the towns only 100 miles away. Chicago is much different than Kalamazoo, MI by quite a bit just like how Los Angeles is quite different than Palmdale or Bakersfield and NYC is different than Binghamton.

And your statement is technically partially false. The culture between say parts of Switzerland and France aren't that different (or Northern Italy and France), for example. However, what differs is the culture in their cities/towns just like the US can. The culture in Paris is still slightly different than the culture in Lourdes in SW France.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,852,687 times
Quote:
LOL. Try just crossing Diversey on Milwaukee Avenue.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I think you're absolutely right. The perception of Chicago is terrible among those that have never visited. They think the entire city is worse than Detroit or Baghdad. Those of us that are from Chicago or know Chicago know that only a few neighborhoods are that bad .

The funny part is that this came a few days after they told me to not put my cell phone or watch on the table at this open air Indian place we ate at because a machete-wielding gang could come in and rob us, and then how we shouldn't drive alone on certain roads because gangs could come out of nowhere and make road blocks and rob us. I was just like....this hardly ever happens in most of Chicago. It's absolutely true - most people either know Chicago for crime or the Bulls. Last time I was in Europe just a few months ago, whenever I said I'm from Chicago, the first thing people said was "Chicago Bulls!" and "Michael Jordan!" Before my friends from Norway visited the US for the first time, they thought the entire country was just a bunch of burgers and hot dogs, and fat people (well that's partially true in some areas).

Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I highly doubt that. Also, what's your point? Of course it isn't because the culture in the US isn't THAT much different from coast to coast. Yeah there are differences, but really the culture from LA compared to Chicago isn't as drastic as Norway compared to Turkey. It's also a semi moot point as the cities in the US are far different than even some of the towns only 100 miles away. Chicago is much different than Kalamazoo, MI by quite a bit just like how Los Angeles is quite different than Palmdale or Bakersfield and NYC is different than Binghamton.

And your statement is technically partially false. The culture between say parts of Switzerland and France aren't that different (or Northern Italy and France), for example. However, what differs is the culture in their cities/towns just like the US can. The culture in Paris is still slightly different than the culture in Lourdes in SW France.
LA & Chicago are very different.

For one, LA is just way cooler (not the weather).

Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,176,155 times
Quote:

L.A. sucks.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:

You entirely missed my point. Entirely. It has nothing to do with personal opinions about what city you think is hipper, cooler, etc than another.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 PM

That definitely can have an effect on the vibe of a city. If anything, Chicago could benefit from being a little more like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago