Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times

Advertisements

I've noticed some posters believe just because someone has a Chicago address they are more enlightened than their suburban counterparts.

Chicago is a world class city without a doubt but for urbanites to look down their noses at suburbanites is funny to me. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,140,985 times
I heard that there was 60 or more shootings in the city over the weekend...not exactly world class in my opinion. So, I doubt that there is this much carnage and destruction in the suburbs. So, urbanites should not look down their noses at suburbanites.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've noticed some posters believe just because someone has a Chicago address they are more enlightened than their suburban counterparts.
Would any reasonable person actually think this way

Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM

285 posts, read 385,769 times
It happens. People who were born and raised in the suburbs sometimes forget where they came from.

Would any reasonable person think this way? No, but many people aren't reasonable.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I heard that there was 60 or more shootings in the city over the weekend...not exactly world class in my opinion. So, I doubt that there is this much carnage and destruction in the suburbs. So, urbanites should not look down their noses at suburbanites.
Quote:

Chicago is a world class city without a doubt but for urbanites to look down their noses at suburbanites is funny to me. What are your thoughts?
If we're limiting the conversation to averages and to middle class and above people who have spent the majority of their life in the suburbs vs. the parts of the city that are urban in nature then I would maintain that urban residents are more cosmopolitan than their suburban counterparts. Again, on average.

Like any prejudice there are inherent risks if you try to apply averages to how you treat individuals.

One of the most interesting aspects to being a very active Airbnb host is that I've had the pleasure of hosting over 200 reservations with people from all over the U.S. and all over the world. Those reservations represent probably around 300 individuals since about half of my reservations are couples. I can say with whatever authority a 300+ person sample size gives a former sociology student that, on average, people from the suburban areas of *any* city, not just Chicago are, on average, less sophisticated about the world. And that sample is actually biased, because I live in central Chicago so the suburbanites who are *least* sophisticated about urban centers will not even choose to stay with me. So even with suburbanites who self-select to accept visiting a central city are less sophisticated than their urban counterparts.

I do not mean this in any way to be construed as a slur any more than saying that a welder is less sophisticated about dentistry than your average dentist. People learn what's relevant to them and what they want to learn. Even with suburbs becoming more diverse, most are still not as widely diverse as the city. The driving form of the suburbs further reduces random exposure to different people and cultures. And the end result is that, on average, suburban residents who don't make a point to expand their exposure to the world are less sophisticated about the world. Some suburban residents do make a point to be as cosmopolitan as possible and jump at cultural enrichment possibilities. But those who don't make the extra effort don't get the random (some cynics could even say forced) cultural exposures that living in the city - especially in the city with less reliance on a car - provides.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:

I think on average, someone from a diverse city MAY be more enlightened HOWEVER I don't think that everyone in a diverse city is "enlightened" and I don't think that everyone who doesn't live in a city is not "enlightened." I have met people from both camps from all types of geographies. I went to school with VERY enlightened and worldly people who grew up in small towns of Iowa and Nebraska, and I also went to school with extremely ignorant people from these geographies. I've had the same encounters with people from large cities - Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago, etc - both ignorant and pretty "enlightened." I don't judge how worldly or what not anybody is by where they live. You may play the game of averages, but I think there's both ignorance and enlightenment in all sorts of places.

In the end it comes down to your personality, how open minded you are, what you're exposed to, what you read, etc. Being in a city can help, but if you're a close minded person, for example, I don't think it matters where you live.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-11-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think on average, someone from a diverse city MAY be more enlightened HOWEVER I don't think that everyone in a diverse city is "enlightened" and I don't think that everyone who doesn't live in a city is not "enlightened." I have met people from both camps from all types of geographies. I went to school with VERY enlightened and worldly people who grew up in small towns of Iowa and Nebraska, and I also went to school with extremely ignorant people from these geographies. I've had the same encounters with people from large cities - Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago, etc - both ignorant and pretty "enlightened." I don't judge how worldly or what not anybody is by where they live. You may play the game of averages, but I think there's both ignorance and enlightenment in all sorts of places.

In the end it comes down to your personality, how open minded you are, what you're exposed to, what you read, etc. Being in a city can help, but if you're a close minded person, for example, I don't think it matters where you live.
You can probably close the thread after this point. Nailed it.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Depends on where you are in the City I guess, true. Problem is a lot of people don't get outside of their immediate community areas and don't realize there are cultural differences between those and other areas. From this article, it sure sounds like at least a few need a little sensitivity training in the Austin neighborhood ...

Chicago women attacked in apparent hate crime - chicagotribune.com

Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
There are some good comments.

I have friends and family who don't live near a big city and have no desire to live a big city lifestyle who are very progressive, tolerant and educated who don't have a racist bone in their body. I also know people who grow up in communities 98% White who don't have a racist bone in their body. I don't think where a person grows up shows tolerance.

Otoh, I've learned a lot by living in Chicago exposing myself to different parts of the city that I wouldn't have learned if I never left my home town in suburban St. Louis.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to my question.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Don't really worry about people that far outside of the sphere.

Hell, if something is more than five minutes away, why bother, there's one that's closer. Ahh, love the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago