Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times

Advertisements

We just came back from a week in Chicago 2 weeks ago, so I was looking to use the last week of my vacation this year maybe in Boston or San Francisco, or New York...then, well, we decided to be back in Chicago, see how it is with the cold weather (well, cold for us).

I booked the flight and booked a room at the James as they were having a nice offer (buy 5 nights, get 7) and the location is great.

Now it just hit me: the heaviest piece of clothing I have is a leather jacket...where the heck am I going to buy heavier stuff for this trip here in South Florida???

This is going to be a long stay, 7 nights, but I am sure we won't be bored. I still have neighborhoods to see, shops to visit, restaurants and bars to try, museums to revisit. Now all I need to do is check the schedule for Bears-Blackhawks and maybe Bulls...I mean that's got to be something going on in that week.

This will be my second trip of the year to Chicago and I just realized that although I live 60 miles north of Miami, in 2013 I will spend more days in Chicago than in Miami.

Oh, well, life is short, gotta do things and often the best are those not really planned but done on an impulse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Son of a!!!! Nooooo! The Bears are on the road!!! @@$#%%%#@

Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Now it just hit me: the heaviest piece of clothing I have is a leather jacket...where the heck am I going to buy heavier stuff for this trip here in South Florida???
I actually usually just wear a leather jacket all through the winter here, but then again I grew up in Minnesota and I don't think Chicago winters are anything that cold. So I'm different According to Accuweather.com, the average highs between 11/23 and 11/30 historically range from about 41 to 44 degrees, with lows of about 28-31. You don't have to bundle up in a Parka or anything, but yeah it'll be colder than what you're used to obviously.

If you're concerned about it, I'm sure there must be a ski store or two out there in Florida somewhere? You can usually buy jackets at those.

Quote:
This is going to be a long stay, 7 nights, but I am sure we won't be bored. I still have neighborhoods to see, shops to visit, restaurants and bars to try, museums to revisit. Now all I need to do is check the schedule for Bears-Blackhawks and maybe Bulls...I mean that's got to be something going on in that week.

This will be my second trip of the year to Chicago and I just realized that although I live 60 miles north of Miami, in 2013 I will spend more days in Chicago than in Miami.

Oh, well, life is short, gotta do things and often the best are those not really planned but done on an impulse.
Yeah, there's a lot to see. It's still not that cold out (more than you're used to obviously, though...so to you it will be cold) and as you know from living in America - black Friday. If you or your wife like fashion, then I really do recommend scoping out the boutiques in Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, and Bucktown. I'd say it's probably the 2nd largest "district" for that after Michigan Avenue area. I'd say they're a little more fashion forward than the stuff you find downtown, on average.

Looks like the Bears are away on the 24th, but you'll have a much better chance of seeting either the Blackhawks or Bulls. Some of the tickets can get expensive so be prepared, or buy as soon as you can.

You just love Chicago Hey maybe you'll like it in November and realize you want to live here ;-) It is cloudier in November for sure, so be ready for that.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM

I guess I'll take my chances and if need be buy something heavy in Chicago. Well, if most of the day is in the 40's, I don't have a problem, it's similar to december in my hometown in NE Italy, so not bad. Now, 20's...hopefully it's in the night when I sleep...
Yeah, I am aware of Black Friday, but that will be our day at the Field and Art Institute...I am definitely going to check out the boutiques of Wicker park with my wife. I created a custom map on Google with the borders of Bucktown, Wicker park, UV, Logan Square, so I will be spending plenty of time in that area. I also would like to go to Pilsen and Little India on Devon.

As for loving Chicago...I know I would like to live there...it's just right now not realistic because of job/housing situation and we are not in a position to just quit our jobs here and leave. But yeah, we already know we would like to move to Chicago.

The Bears at Rams sucks on the 24th...but hey, I might catch the Blackhawks (don't know about the Bulls...I am a Heat fan!...lol and no, no bandwagoner here, fan since 1992). Worst scenario,if I can't catch live sport action, there are so many great bars/pubs to watch live european soccer in Chicago during the week, football on Saturday and Sunday...basket you name it.

To be honest, weather wise, all I hope is for little rain, as if it rains every day, it's gonna be a problem to move around. But clouds and temperature in the 35-40 are fine.

Thank you for all the tips you gave me recently and in the past.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Chicago in November is cool/crisp not yet freeing cold. So you might get the high 20ies at night(just enough to freeze a small puddle of water or freeze the ground but not much more). In the day it should be anywhere from the high 30ies to 50F. Your leather Jacket is just fine for Chicago in November(just not say late December or January). Rain wise hard to say.November is usually not a very wet month but it can have Freezing rain on the odd occasion esp. about that time of year. You are arriving too early for snow to fall and accumulate(usually), but you might see a flurry about that time of year. Chicago just isn’t at its prettiest this time of year as by that time we are getting the gray skies of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: