Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

What happens today if the person being robbed happens to be packing and shoots the would be robber dead? I know legal concealed carry is coming, and I'm wondering if there will be a spike in this type of crime ahead of that knowing that residents are almost certainly unarmed at this point?

A sort of "get while the getting is good" mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
What happens today if the person being robbed happens to be be packing and shoots the would be robber dead? I know legal concealed carry is coming, and I'm wondering if there will be a spike in this type of crime ahead of that knowing that residents are almost certainly unarmed at this point?

A sort of "get while the getting is good" mentality?
Time will tell what the new law will have an affect on crime.

I would LOVE to hear some news flashes about some gang banger trying to shooot a grannie and she pulls out her gun, right quick and deals with him in self defense. too bad for the gang banger! so sad - NOT!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Dont go out at night is the moral of this story for me. Looks like crime has caught up to the once nice Lakeview, and not from people who live there. People who live in Lakeview has an interest in keeping things safe. so i guess we have to do like the rest of the city - dont go out at night.

I dont mean to be facitious and some of you might disagree, but if those people had not gone out at night, those crimes would not have happened.
This is retarded. How many people had gone out in Lakeview and NOT been robbed? If it was, say, 10,000, then there was something like a 7/10,000 chance, or .07%, that one would be robbed, not to mention that people aren't completely helpless and can do things to avoid being the victim of a crime. Getting robbed really sucks but it's not among the worst things that can happen to someone.

I don't mean to downplay this; the alderman and city should absolutely take action over this, I just don't think we should all live in fear of a tiny chance of being robbed.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM

590 posts, read 1,013,036 times
I don't live in Chicago, but I think that hiring 2,000 policemen won't solve the issue by itself. It's like the situation (politically) in Italy where people hope in a newcomer full of honesty etc...that won't help because the system is made to allow politicians to do everything they want.
Same here. If you add policemen but don't change the environment they work in, nothing changes.

First, CPD should go through a hardcore investigation to rid the police force of all the gang members who infiltrated it.
Second, police should be given more power, sort of like what Giuliani did in NY. Police should be able to intimate thugs to stop (or to show up with hands above their heads) and shoot if somebody doesn't do it. Sounds extremist, but how many cops get shot in Chicago because they have to wait for the perp to shoot first?

It should be a common effort, from the State of Illinois to the local authorities. Sending more cops in the streets with their hands tied would just increase the number of police officers who get shot.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Can Link N. Parker and ChicagoMeO get a room where they can masturbate to how dangerous Lakeview is together and leave the rest of us alone? I swear if these two aren't the same person, they share the same irrational, fear-mongering brain.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM

359 posts, read 549,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Can Link N. Parker and ChicagoMeO get a room where they can masturbate to how dangerous Lakeview is together and leave the rest of us alone? I swear if these two aren't the same person, they share the same irrational, fear-mongering brain.
Oh stop, I can count on two hands the number of people who I personally know, who have been either robbed or beaten up in Lakeview, some of which are women. There are REAL people getting hurt on a DAILY basis now, and you want to put your head in the sand? Grow up.

Im here to help spotlight a situation that has been happening in MY neighborhood...a place I love that I have lived in for years. A REAL chicagoan stands up for his neighborhood and takes action to get things fixed. A REAL chicagoan doesnt live in denial, he/she faces reality and does what it takes to make things better.

I am posting here to raise situational awareness so that more people dont get hurt. Im raising awareness so that we can force the city to make things better by hiring more police.

I am a "REAL" CHICAGOAN*....are you?

*trademark pending

Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
The good people who live in places like Englewood, South Shore, and Auburn-Gresham, who have been terrorized by crime for decades, are collectively rolling their eyes...

Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Overreaction.

Simple as that. It comes to no surprise though as this board is notorious for overreacting to violence, robbery, and any other crime that takes place in areas that aren't in the south or west sides. Grow a ****ing pair or get the **** out.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
At nearly 5 am it is getting light and actual sunrise is at 5:28am, so most of these crimes happened when it was approaching daylight. As far as being out at night, I'd give the advice don't drink too much, stay with friends and take a cab home. If you are too drunk, stay with friends. Women especially should know some self defense tactics.

You really think CPD would go through a hardcore investigation to get ride of the bad seeds? Your living in a dream world if you do. For one thing it would cost a fortune. If a person does not comply and they feel they are in danger they shoot. How much more do you want, MOItaly?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
It's really important to realize that these "reports" are unofficial. The site is geared to generate fear, and almost never links to any outside sources. The majority of "reports" in that blog post have no case numbers, and in a couple of cases it's unclear if anything actually happened at all. One case is described as a beating, but the "victim" declined medical attention or to press charges. These reports are a load of BS, and anyone who takes them at face value is a fool.

There is absolutely no reason to believe the things posted on that site, and the terminology they use would indicate that they have racist motivations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
the primary offender is described as male black.....The assailants are all described as male blacks....The victim described one attacker as a male black...two male black offenders...
If you don't see what is wrong with that you're either a naive idiot or a racist POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago